Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown Rice Pasta? page

LisaH is offline Junior Member

Brown Rice Pasta?

Shop Now
    So I went into my local health food store today and they were giving away boxes of organic brown rice pasta. I was going to pass on it but the 'wheat free' and 'gluten free' labels caught my eye and so I figured I'd give it a try. I know it is a bit carb heavy but other then that is there anything really too bad about it?

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Well, yeah, it's a grain, and most folks around here are grain free and processed food free.

If you're going to do rice, it's better to do white.

No anti-nutrients.

You should read The Primal Blueprint for more information.

Julie

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Since I do plenty of carbs, I use rice and rice pasta, but I prefer white rice.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Not advisable for regular consumption. Brown rice has more anti-nutrients than white rice.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Since I do plenty of carbs, I use rice and rice pasta, but I prefer white rice.
    You haven't lived until you've had sticky rice...... REAL sticky rice.

Not regular white rice that you've over-cooked, but sticky rice like they give you at thai restaurants.

I've recently mastered it and am currently addicted to about a cup a day.

37 carbs, so I say bite me.

Let me know if you'd like my SOOPER SEKRET recipe.

Julie

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    I was looking at some gluten free pasta the other day and wondered this exact same thing. Guess I'll avoid it and stick to spaghetti squash.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I have a pound or two of Trader Joe's organic brown rice pasta. The only ingredients are "organic brown rice, water".

You DO NOT want to get spaghetti-style IMO. It will be gummy and not very good. The lack of gluten really hurts it. When you're cutting pasta so thin, it's the gluten that gives it its firmness.

Now, the penne on the other hand is great. It's nearly just as good as regular semolina pasta. It's thick enough that the texture doesn't suffer without the gluten. I give it two thumbs up in terms of taste. It's not exactly my grandma's homemade raviolis (which I WILL cast aside the PB for if it ever comes up for that one meal), but it's almost as good as a package of Barilla.

Is it healthy? Nah, it's straight, nutrition-free carbohydrate high in phytate that's only positive quality is it doesn't have gluten in it...which can be said for 99% of all foods. But it won't hurt you if you want to have legitimate pasta night once a month. I have to tell you, now that I'm 10 months into the PB, I just have zero desire for pasta anymore. That should be your ultimate goal - not to find a healthier substitute for pasta, but to just not even care anymore.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

LexxyV86 is offline Senior Member
    I do have rice pasta on rare occasion I love my Italian cuisine- e' delizioso! Other than that I just try to stay grain free

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I have a pound or two of Trader Joe's organic brown rice pasta. The only ingredients are "organic brown rice, water".

You DO NOT want to get spaghetti-style IMO. It will be gummy and not very good. The lack of gluten really hurts it. When you're cutting pasta so thin, it's the gluten that gives it its firmness.
    So is there any reason not to go for the white rice pasta since there is no phytate?
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    So is there any reason not to go for the white rice pasta since there is no phytate?
    I haven't found white rice pasta. All the gluten free pasta I've found is brown rice. If you can find white rice pasta, that's even better and I'm jealous of you. I would eat it more often in lieu of white rice for carb-ups if I could find it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast