Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americans are eating less and less meat. More for us! page

SeanM is offline Senior Member

Americans are eating less and less meat. More for us!

Shop Now
    Interesting piece in the Washington Post today about the drop in meat consumption:

Americans are eating less and less meat - The Washington Post

Meat eating in the United States is going out of style. According to a Department of Agriculture report, Americans are projected to eat 12.2 percent less meat in 2012 than they did 2007. And it’s not just the weak economy. As Mark Bittman observes, there’s a real long-term trend here: “Beef consumption has been in decline for about 20 years; the drop in chicken is even more dramatic, over the last five years or so; pork also has been steadily slipping for about five years.”
    I wonder how many people will put this together with the obesity epidemic? Not enough, I'm sure...

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Just like the old saying: "Observe the masses and do the opposite".

Cassanina is offline Senior Member
    I will happily eat their 12%.
    “It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Meat consumption down 12%, average weight up 12%.

Sounds about right.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I wonder how much is because meat is being replaced by soy and starch in 'meat products'. Not much meat in a sausage these days.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    I wonder how much is because meat is being replaced by soy and starch in 'meat products'. Not much meat in a sausage these days.
    good point. maybe the drop in meat consumption isn't completely intentional.

Curmujeon is offline Member
    But they feel like they are eating healthier! Even though they don't feel better!
    Beware of fake meat.

1949katie is offline Member
    I actually find this news disconcerting. What's going to happen to us. I mean, for real. This is horrible!

raftguide3r is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1949katie View Post
    I actually find this news disconcerting. What's going to happen to us. I mean, for real. This is horrible!
    We'll continue to prioritize our money towards healthy foods while most continue to eat crap and then well also be expected to pay their medical bills when they get sick. Of course it doesn't help that the .gov recommends that people eat crap and a lot of it.

TKBSJ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raftguide3r View Post
    We'll continue to prioritize our money towards healthy foods while most continue to eat crap and then well also be expected to pay their medical bills when they get sick. Of course it doesn't help that the .gov recommends that people eat crap and a lot of it.
    Well said! I just spent $10 on good quality salad while my colleague spent $5 on fried chicken and chips. I felt like saying "damn, I just spent $10 on a good salad and another $5 on looking after you when you're sick!"

Australia has a great medical system (compared to some) but there's no balance, all of the focus and tax dollars are going toward looking after or educating people who don't bother looking after themselves....

Sorry, that's quite a rant and to be honest, it probably stems from HAVING to pay $10 for a quality salad (late lunch - literally nothing else open!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast