Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Fat Guy page

Phocion_Timon is offline Senior Member

Old Fat Guy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

DAY 0

Okay, boys and girls, I am normally loathe to do anything publicly but I'm going to break this rule and do Sisson's Success Stories in the Making.

01-11-12..jpg

That's me this morning. I am 30 pounds smaller than I was a year ago just by being "primal-ish." If 30 lbs. can be shed by doing the job half-heartedly, a whole-hearted effort will surely have a spectacular result.

Current stats:
    Weight 258 lbs.
    Goal: Lose fifty pounds in 2012

I intend to post (almost) daily my thoughts, actions, reactions, and maybe even my menu. (My job is in the oil fields of west Texas and east New Mexico where internet availability, even with satellite internet, can be iffy.)

PT
    Last edited by Phocion_Timon; 01-11-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Good for you PT
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Good luck PT- You'll be elated with the whole-hearted effort!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Day 1

My Job
    I need to explain my job as it has a direct bearing on my menu and dietary habits.

I work in the oil fields of west Texas and east New Mexico as a "Mudlogger" in a mobile laboratory. Several times per hour, while an oil or gas well is drilling, I collect samples of the drill cuttings. I look at the cuttings under a microscope, subject them to simple chemical tests, and log the visual and chemical results into a computer, compiling a "mudlog." (The mudlog is then used by the oil company to evaluate the current well and future wells.)

I work with a partner, currently working 48-on-48-off. Since drilling a well is a 24/7 operation, I get very little sleep during the 48 hours I am on shift. One of the ways to combat boredom is to eat and therein lies my biggest problem. In the past I would eat sandwiches, chips, cookies, pizza, etc., gaining more and more weight. The real problem with the job is that cooking a meal is danged inconvenient. Fixing a sandwich and putting a handful of chips on a paper plate is about as easy as it gets. Cooking a meal, with the subsequent clean-up is a royal pain in the ass. Another problem is the drive home at the end of the shift. I have a two-hour drive home and as one might imagine it can get seriously boring. I'm also tired from a lack of sleep which really lowers my will power. By the time I get home all I can think of is a bag of burgers and fries or some such. (I am an accomplished binge eater and a member The Binge Eaters of America.)

I've gotten past the inconvenience of cooking while in the field with simple recipes but I still struggle with the Bag o' Burgers, etc., at the end of that two-hour drive after being relieved. After having joined this Success Stories in the Making of Mark Sisson's I've managed to overcome the desire for junk food twice in a row. If I can continue the practice, losing all this blubber will be infinitely easier.

2:00 p.m. Lunch:
    Mushrooms and onions sauteed in tallow, added kale, cooked until wilted.
    4:30 p.m. 2 slices deli roast beef, 2 fried eggs, sliced onions, guacamole, Tabasco's Chiopotle sauce

6:12 p.m. Dammit. The problem with starting over at being carb-free after having eaten a ton of crap for a couple of weeks is that even when one's stomach is full, one tends to still feel hungry. My history shows, though, this problem will end in a week.

9:00 p.m. I wasn't all that hungry but if I was going to survive the night hours of work without losing it, I needed to get something down my neck. I cooked some ground beef with onions, added some "organic" marinara sauce, and topped it all with a bit of full-fat yogurt.

Clean-up after a meal is quite easy now. I have a ceramic non-stick skillet and primarily use a bowl and a spoon for my meals. The bowl is a lot easier to clean in the small sink of the lab than is a plate; the ceramic skillet requires only a wipe with a paper towel.
    Last edited by Phocion_Timon; 01-16-2012 at 05:11 PM.

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    Can you do crockpots, or as they're know in these parts, GrokPots? I've found a myriad of ways to cook beef and poultry in mine.

I too submitted a photo for the success stories in the making, which is totally out of character for me as I avoid attention. I'm eager to watch your progress. Good luck to you!

Day 2

Saturday, Jan. 13, 2012

Day 2

1:18 a.m. Even though I am only getting catnaps while at work, going carb-free allows a deeper sleep than is possible on a high-carb meal. Even after only 45 minutes of sleep, I feel pretty good. I'll get another couple of naps before I'm relieved at noon and I anticipate doing well until then.

8:00 a.m. I finally got all the reports and phone calls done and breakfast was an omelette:
    • Ghee
    • 4 eggs, beaten
    • Sauteed mushrooms and onions
    • Black pepper
    • "Organic" hot salsa

11:30 a.m. I will be relieved in a half hour and will have to fight the desire to stop off and get a sackful of toxic food.

3:35 p.m. Cool. I got home an 1 1/2 hours ago with no problems; I just forced myself to NOT dwell on food. It was easier than I thought it would be.
    Lunch: Sort of a meat lasagna: in a skillet I put sliced turkey, a layer of Swiss cheese, a layer of deli ham, and a layer of cheddar cheese and threw it all in a 450F oven for a few minutes; topped it with my absolutely favorite condiment: Tabasco's Chipotle Sauce. That will last me until late this evening.

8:30 p.m. Sweet Thang wasn't really hungry, nor was I, so we each ate a bowl of Lazy Man's Ice Cream.
    • Coconut milk, 1 cup
    • Frozen berries, about 1 1/2 cup
    • 2 packets sweetener
    • Flavoring such as vanilla
    • A couple dashes of ground nutmeg

Put coconut milk, sweetener, flavoring, and nutmeg in a bowl, mix well.
    Add the frozen berries and stir.
    The frozen berries will cause the coconut milk to partially freeze and thicken. When maximum thickness has been achieved, put half in another bowl and give it to Sweet Thang.
    Last edited by Phocion_Timon; 01-15-2012 at 08:56 AM.

"Can you do crockpots, or as they're know in these parts, GrokPots? I've found a myriad of ways to cook beef and poultry in mine."

@GoLisaGo:
    I could do a crockpot but space is at a premium in the labs. Having even a small crockpot cooking can be something of an annoyance. Besides, there is the cleaning of the crockpot after use. I've decided a non-stick skillet, a small sauce pot, a plate, a bowl, fork and spoon are the simplest. I do use paper plates when I build a meal from sliced deli meats. (The deli meats include: roast beef with no injected materials--it's just meat. The turkey is smoked and has not been injected with anything. The ham of course is somewhat problematic given the salts and stuff they use these days to cook ham but I figure one or two servings of the ham per week won't do any harm.

PT
    Last edited by Phocion_Timon; 01-15-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Day 3

Sunday, January 14, 2012

Day 3

9:00 a.m. Breakfast: 3 slices applewood-smoked bacon, 3 eggs fried in the bacon fat.

2:00 p.m. Jog/walk 4 miles.

3:15 p.m. Ate a small piece of leftover steak and a slice of deli ham

7:00 p.m. Supper: Small piece of pot roast with carrots, mushrooms, onion, and leeks, bowl of southern greens, pile of spagetti squash with bacon, garlic, and onions. I had prepared some mashed turnips but I added too much rosemary making them inedible.

8:00 p.m. Bowl of Lazy Man's Blueberry Ice Cream
    Last edited by Phocion_Timon; 01-16-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Freaker is offline Member
    Good luck, PT. Nice job with the before pic.
    Starting Weight - January 3, 2012 - 276.4 lbs
    One Month - February 3, 2012 - 260.8 lbs
    Two Months - March 3, 2012 - 253.8 lbs

Current Weight - April 3, 2012 - 246.0 lbs

My Journal

My new blog dedicated to creative writing and dark spirits

Day 4

Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 4

Last night I ate a lot of food, most of it veggies of various kinds plus the Lazy Man's Blueberry Ice Cream. I wanted to see if I would be comfortable when I went to bed.

I was. I slept like a dead man, even after a couple of mugs of coffee. If I had eaten my usual amount of carbs--mashed potatoes, rolls, milk, cake or pie or ice cream--I would have had a tough night with little sleep. Carb-free, not counting the few vegetable carbs, is the only way to fly.

Noon
    Arrived at the rig to start my 48-hour shift. They are drilling pretty slowly--10 ft/hr--and if they keep it up I'll have an easy time of it.

1:30 p.m. 1st meal: Two slices deli beef, approximately 7 oz., thinly sliced raw onions, wasabi and horseradish mix. Wrapped meat around all.

5:30 p.m. 2nd meal: Weird. I suddenly got hungry. That 4-mile jog yesterday must have increased my appetite because the earlier meal should have lasted me until about 7:00 p.m. I didn't want to get hungry again until tomorrow morning so I fixed an early supper:
    • Beef heart, bite-sized pieces
    • Beef liver. small dice
    • T-bone steak, bite-size pieces
    • Onions
    • Mushrooms
    • Beef Tallow (grass-fed)
    • Clove garlic, finely diced

I used more tallow than I normally would to give my system a lot of fat to play with until tomorrow. I sauteed the onions and mushrooms, added the steak and heart. Just as the heart and steak were getting done (medium rare) I added the liver and garlic. The liver was cooked just until hot through. (I hate liver when it's cooked well-done.) Added a bit of salt and pepper and, of course, Tabasco's Chipotle Sauce.

No Lazy Man's Ice Cream tonight. I forgot to bring the berries. Oh well, I should probably forego dessert every now and then if only as a character-builder.

I'll probably fix a pot of coffee before midnight.

Until tomorrow.

PT

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast