Thread: new here - need some support page

always_smile is offline Junior Member

new here - need some support

Shop Now
    Hi there.
    Is my first time posting on this forum. I've been reading MDA for quite a while and even went 95% primal for a good 3 months last year. While some good things happend (I didn't feel like I had to chew someting all the time, in between meals, or crave things), my results comparing with my efforts were not substantial enough to motivate me to keep going. At the time I was working on my Masters too and was getting very little sleep, I was stressed by the fact that I felt I never had enough time to juggle being a stay at home mom, grad school student and relearning how to cook. That being said, the last few months of 2011 I just lost the motivation and while my main meals were primal, I did have non primal snacks throughout the day.
    Trying to come up with a plan for 2012 to improve my health and lose weight I was doing a lot of research on line. I read about things like the Gerson therapy, watched "fat, sick nearly dead" etc etc. I gave juice detox a try for 3 days (juicing a ton of fresh fruits and vegetables and just drinking that and water- nothing else). I felt a boost of energy (which made WANT to work out- i usually don't feel like working out because I don't have the energy to start moving; I used to think that I'm just one of those people who dodn't like to exercise but I realize that if I have the energy to get going I actually can't wait to start an exercise routine) and didn't even crave much food; I even lost about 5 lbs (I didn't lose 1 lb during the 3 months of eating 95% primal). Now I'm not a believer in being vegetarian, nor can I be one based on how much I love bacon, eggs, meat (and according to several metabolic typing tests I did I have a protein type metabolism). The intent of the juice fast was to flush my body of all toxins. I love primal food. But I do struggle with one thing: I feel like the PB is pushing meat/protein over fruits and vegetables. I believe or body needs the micronutrients from fruits and vegetables. Yet if you eat too much of those, you consume way too many carbs than what the PB suggests Grock used to.
    So help me out here. I want this to work so bad. I want to see some results (e.g. more energy, losing some weight/body fat) because results will keep me motivated and will insipre me to do this for the rest of my life. I want to fel the energy I felt during the juice fast and the eagerness to exercise (that was a huge thing for me) but eat my bacon and eggs and all the other good primal stuff.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Modern fruits are bred to be sweeter than in the past so they are best avoided for fat loss.

With regards to veg you pretty safe eating as much as you want. To get a 100g of carbs from veg you are eating a large mounded plate so grab a carrot and run with it.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Thanks for the reply. I also forgot to ask, is there a recommended limit for daily protein and fat consumption? Its been a few months since I read Mark's book but I don't remember anything mentioned about that, just about carbs.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I eat what feels right but I believe it is one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass....the rest of your calories should come from fat.

I don't micromanage my diet just eat lots of veg, meat and other good stuff. My one rule of thumb is that for a volume of protein I try and have double the volume in vegetables to help with blood alkalinity...Basically meat and two veg covered in butter does me well.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by always_smile View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I also forgot to ask, is there a recommended limit for daily protein and fat consumption? Its been a few months since I read Mark's book but I don't remember anything mentioned about that, just about carbs.
    Primal cheat sheet:

How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Missed that. thanks for the link.