Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Just starting out page 3

Paleo Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Anna!
    About the same time you were posting, (I almost wrote "posing", LOL) I was out weighing myself on the factory scale... [suspenseful pause].
    I'm down by 5 pounds! WHOO HOO!
    Exercising is starting TODAY!

I agree with you about making a bit extra. So far, for me it's been about making one really awesome meal (dinner) and having some kind of leftovers the next morning (bacon/beef fat) for cooking an omelet in and/or some leftovers (saute') going into the omelet. My wife HAS noticed my increased energy, but told me that if I die from a heart-attack, she's going to kill me. She wants me to go and get a full blood workup done before I get too far into this. Hmm.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Hi Charlie

I have been mucking around here for a while (your can read my journal, link in siggie, if you want detail) but only got really serious mid November 2011. The key for me has been discovering an exercise I can do that dies not cause me pain, and that exercise is swimming - 75-90 mins a day, up to 8kms per week now. I have some leg injury issues which also affect my back and walking was getting ever more painful. But like you, I am going great now and am stuffing myself with lovely protein and fat and averaging a carb count of around 30g daily.

If you want a nice side dish try zucchini strips in lemon cream sauce. I make the zucchini strips with my mandolin slicer (love that gadget!) but you can do it by hand, just make the strips about 1/2 cm square. We use one large zucchini for 2 people or a small one each. You'll want about 20ml each of white wine and lemon juice, and a dash of pure cream (the pouring type, not thickened. Heat some butter in a frypan at a fairly high heat, throw in the zucchini strips, stir briefly, add the wine and lemon, stir for a moment, add a spoonful or so of the cream, stir and serve. We also do this with mushrooms, you cook the mushies in the butter first then just proceed as above. Great with chicken, pork or fish. I'll take a pic later and come back and post it.

Another nice chicken recipe is Monterey chicken. You need fillets, breast or thigh (whichever you prefer). I bake them with butter and herbs in an ovenproof dish until almost cooked. Remove from oven and add a slice of bacon or ham or other preserved meat of your choice (pancetta and proscuitto are both nice), top with avocado slices and Swiss (or another good melting type) cheese. return to the oven and switch oven off. Allow 5019 mins to heat right through and soften the avo. Serve with the zucchini strips.

Enjoy!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

anna-banana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo Charlie View Post
    About the same time you were posting, (I almost wrote "posing", LOL) I was out weighing myself on the factory scale... [suspenseful pause].
    I'm down by 5 pounds! WHOO HOO!
    Haha, I totally will be "posing" soon enough with these new lifestyle result!!
    And yay to your weight loss! There's nothing better than confirmation that what you are doing is making your life better! The extra energy is of course another indicator, but it's always nice to see those losses on the scale.

I think you should get a check-up and blood work done and then again in 6 months - I'm sure the results will be waaaaay better!
    25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Hi Odille!
    We have a mandolin slicer that we love as well. I haven't been a great fan of vegetables, but I'm trying. I usually smother everything in bacon grease. I think it's the best dressing ever, but I think I'll certainly add the zucchini strips and Monterey chicken recipes to my arsenal.

Thanks so much for posting!
    Good luck to us all on our journeys, we're all going to make it!

Yeah, that doesn't sound TOO bad to me, except for the needles part. Wife is diabetic (Type II of course) and has to shoot twice a day and has had to for 15 years. Needles I don't like.
    Anyway, I'll have to find some other place to weigh myself. I got "workforce reduced" today.
    Hooray! Finally I have time to look for another job!
    It's a GOOD DAY!

Fasting today, not strictly, but waiting until I get hungry.
    Bacon wrapped drumsticks tonight!
    Last edited by Paleo Charlie; 01-17-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    48, 5'11" - SW 301 (01/08/12) - CW 217.5 (5/14/13) - GW 185 +2.6% this week. -27.7% total. -83.5 lbs. (so far!)

"Today when you mention "barbeque" people will think about throwing a hotdog or a couple burgers on the grill. But if you invite me to a "barbeque" and there's not some sort of slow-smoked meat involved, I'll hope you step on a Lego." - Instructables.com member Javin007

nikko is offline Member
    Hey Charlie,

Sorry to hear about your job, hopefully you will get yourself sorted with another soon.

Must try the chicken drumstick recipe soon..... Oh well, off to make some bacon and fried eggs for breakfast.

Good luck with it

Nick

Workforce Reduced, Etc.

Thanks Nick!
    I was getting pretty annoyed with that job, so having opportunities outside of that particular employer is awesome! It's a GREAT day, but the wife is annoyed a bit.

The thing I'm irritated about is weighing myself now. I think there's a drug store in our area that has a pay scale that I can use. 5 cents a turn, once a week, no problem!
    I don't want to buy a scale for 3 reasons:

1. They can be really expensive. Well, I saw a cheap one ($6) that was in Chinese, so no good to me.
    2. We don't have room in our bathroom(s).
    3. I really hate single purpose items (except the fire extinguisher)!
    We made the bacon wrapped drumsticks last night and they were *AWESOME*! The bacon flavors infused with the chicken, really good! Next time I'll use a baking pan, like used for cornbread, brownies, cake, etcetera. The bacon and chicken both gave off copious amounts of juices, almost overflowing the cookie sheet I was using. I think my wife also has a rack to raise the drumsticks off the bottom so that the bacon will get crispy, but not soggy when you flip it.

Tonight will be smoked chuck roast, made into the Primal Texas Chili recipe I saw here a few weeks ago. Mmmm!

Good luck to us all,
    Cheers!
    48, 5'11" - SW 301 (01/08/12) - CW 217.5 (5/14/13) - GW 185 +2.6% this week. -27.7% total. -83.5 lbs. (so far!)

"Today when you mention "barbeque" people will think about throwing a hotdog or a couple burgers on the grill. But if you invite me to a "barbeque" and there's not some sort of slow-smoked meat involved, I'll hope you step on a Lego." - Instructables.com member Javin007

MusicMama is offline Member
    Wow, some great recipes in here. I'm buying some drumsticks next time I shop! Good luck finding a new job. Sounds like you're doing great with your new way of eating!

anna-banana is offline Senior Member
    Glad you liked the drumsticks! I should probably have mentioned that I used a baking sheet - oops. Yes, there are plenty of juices. I like making it in the baking pan so that the meat keeps sitting in the juices and gains even more flavor!

Sorry to hear about the job loss, but it sounds like you see the positive in it and don't really miss that place. So good luck on the new endeavors!

I made the chocolate that Mark posted a recipe for a few weeks ago. I simply melted some dark chocolate (Trader Joe's has the dark baking kind for like $4 for a pound) and mixed in chopped up macadamias and sprinkled some sea salt on it. I poured it into a wax paper lined baking sheet and let it set in the fridge for 30 minutes. That is the most amazing primal snack when you're having that sugar crave moment!
    25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast