Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Just starting out page 21

Misti is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Hah! if you can avoid a monthly client meeting in the day leading up to the test, I suspect that you are going to be VERY gratified and your wide and mother will be very pleasantly surpised. Best of luck, Charlie!
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Paleo Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Well...
    Physical and blood tests...
    My doctor is thrilled that I lowered my blood pressure by changing my diet and exercising (walking is exercise?)

Everything is good except cholesterol.
    I'm "above" what is recommended. I don't half believe it though, as it HAD to be worse when I was 301 lbs.
    I may be needing to eat more fish, along with much more vegetables. That's no real surprise, being the carnivore tthat I am!
    It's all good.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Paleo Charlie; 10-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    48, 5'11" - SW 301 (01/08/12) - CW 217.5 (5/14/13) - GW 185 +2.6% this week. -27.7% total. -83.5 lbs. (so far!)

"Today when you mention "barbeque" people will think about throwing a hotdog or a couple burgers on the grill. But if you invite me to a "barbeque" and there's not some sort of slow-smoked meat involved, I'll hope you step on a Lego." - Instructables.com member Javin007

Jeffybear is offline Member
    Ah, bummer news on the cholesterol tests. But I'm with you, you can't lose 68 lbs and your cholesterol not get better. If it is better but just higher than recommended I can understand that.....but it's got to keep getting better....right?
    Primal since 27 August 2012
    Age 47
    Height 5'10"
    SW 236
    PW 223
    GW 185

My Journal

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Charlie, you have done so well. Don't stress about the cholesterol. I read ( I think on MDA) that its more about the small and large LDL particles, so don't get caught up on this one....and cholesterol is a good thing. We need it to survive, we just don't know enough about it all.
    Anywho I think that you are a-m-a-z-i-n-g. You have achieved great things - so pat yourself on the back and enjoy the moment.
    I am sure your wife, kiddlies and mother are extremely proud of you too !
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    Hah! if you can avoid a monthly client meeting in the day leading up to the test, I suspect that you are going to be VERY gratified and your wide and mother will be very pleasantly surpised. Best of luck, Charlie!
    Hah!
    Yeah, IF I can avoid it. Nope, not likely to happen. Dinner is part of the deal, that I made early into my journey. A once-a-month technical fall-down is fine.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Paleo Charlie; 10-08-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    48, 5'11" - SW 301 (01/08/12) - CW 217.5 (5/14/13) - GW 185 +2.6% this week. -27.7% total. -83.5 lbs. (so far!)

"Today when you mention "barbeque" people will think about throwing a hotdog or a couple burgers on the grill. But if you invite me to a "barbeque" and there's not some sort of slow-smoked meat involved, I'll hope you step on a Lego." - Instructables.com member Javin007

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffybear View Post
    Ah, bummer news on the cholesterol tests. But I'm with you, you can't lose 68 lbs and your cholesterol not get better. If it is better but just higher than recommended I can understand that.....but it's got to keep getting better....right?
    Well, I like to think so. There's more and more evidence out there suggesting that cholesterol doesn't have much to do with heart attacks. Heck, even VEGETARIANS can have high cholesterol.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Charlie, you have done so well. Don't stress about the cholesterol. I read ( I think on MDA) that its more about the small and large LDL particles, so don't get caught up on this one....and cholesterol is a good thing. We need it to survive, we just don't know enough about it all.
    Anywho I think that you are a-m-a-z-i-n-g. You have achieved great things - so pat yourself on the back and enjoy the moment.
    I am sure your wife, kiddlies and mother are extremely proud of you too !
    G
    Thanks G!
    I'm not stressing over it. I have never felt better, so I'll stay with it. For me, it's been about the increase in ENERGY. The better health is a nice side-effect.

Cheers!

OK all, time to weigh... and the verdict is... flat for the week!
    Now, let's dissect the previous week:a completely non-paleo/primal dinner, 2+ hour hike up Hunters Trail (possibly building some muscle mass), lunch with my parents yesterday (mostly ok, salad with beef), my weekly allocation of stress certainly, no boozing, but lots of dairy. not much fruit. I'm not annoyed about flatness. Apparently, it's a part of the normal distribution pattern.

Fasting today.
    Good enough for now.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Paleo Charlie; 10-08-2012 at 02:44 PM.

UGH! Where to begin?
    Oh, here's the letter from my doctor, pretty boilerplate stuff, not much exciting happening here.

Dear Charles
    You laboratory results came back.
    Your cholesterol is abnormal.

CHOL 213 10/05/2012
    TRIG 142 10/05/2012
    HDL 40 10/05/2012
    LDL 145 10/05/2012

The CHOL (total cholesterol) should be LOWER than 200.
    The TG (triglyceride) should be LOWER than 150.
    The HDL (good cholesterol) should be HIGHER than 40
    The LDL (bad cholesterol) should be LOWER than 100

Please stick to a low fat, low cholesterol diet to lower your LDL cholesterol. Exercise, eating fish and taking omega-3 supplements can raise your HDL cholesterol.
    You may call to sign up for a class on lowering your cholesterol.

Your recent fasting blood sugar (FBS) was elevated at 106. Normal FBS is between 70 to 99. Diabetes starts at a FBS of 126 or higher. Your FBS is in the borderline or prediabetic range. Essentially prediabetes is treated with a diabetic diet and weight loss so as to prevent you from developing further elevation of your FBS.
    Here is some additional information on prediabetes for you to read.

Pre-diabetes is a condition that most people have before they develop diabetes. You may have heard it called impaired glucose tolerance or borderline diabetes. Regardless of its name, it is a health problem that you need to take seriously. If you have pre-diabetes, your blood sugar (glucose) is at a higher than normal level, but not yet in the diabetes range. Pre-diabetes is defined as a fasting blood sugar of 100 to 125 mg/dl. Having prediabetes means that you are at greater risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.

Diabetes is a condition that makes it hard for your body to turn the food that you eat into energy. After you eat, your body releases a hormone (insulin) that causes blood sugar to enter the cells where it is used for energy. When you do not make enough insulin, or your body does not use insulin well, sugar builds up in your blood, which can cause diabetes. Over the years, this high blood sugar can damage your nerves and blood vessels. This may lead to a heart attack, stroke, or other serious health problems.

The most common kind of diabetes is type 2. Being overweight and inactive increase the chance that you'll get type 2 diabetes. There is good news for people with pre-diabetes. By changing your lifestyle, you can reduce your risk of getting type 2 diabetes. The key to success is to make small changes that lead to big rewards over time. Consider making the following small changes:

Increase your physical activity to at least 30 to 60 minutes every day.
    Eat fewer calories. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
    *Lose 5 to 10 percent of your body weight or maintain a body mass index (BMI) less than 25. BMI is a measure of body weight relative to height.
    *Check your fasting blood sugar every year to monitor whether your condition has changed from pre-diabetes.

Physical activity is the single most effective way to delay or prevent type 2 diabetes. Physical activity can also benefit your health by decreasing blood pressure, reducing your risk of heart disease, osteoporosis, and some cancers. It can also increase the level of good cholesterol (HDL) and decrease the level of total cholesterol. Best of all, physical activity can increase your sense of well-being and help you enjoy life more.

Too much inactivity contributes to weight gain. Small increases in physical activity over time can make a big difference. Almost any activity that gets you moving and strengthens your muscles is good for your health.
    Aim for 30 minutes of consistent physical activity on most days.
    * Go for walks or bike rides with family or friends.
    *Consider using home exercise videos or exercise equipment.
    *Try to get in a workout during the day. Take a brisk walk during half of your lunch break. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
    *Use a pedometer (step-counter) to track your steps. Determine how many steps you walk every day, then increase this number by 50 to 100 steps (or by 5 to 10 percent).

Eat healthier: Make wise food choices.
    Making changes can be hard. But when it comes to taking care of yourself, it's worth the effort to stay healthy.

The following tips can help you get started:
    *Choose smaller portions.
    *Drink plenty of water.
    *Try to eat slowly. It takes your stomach 20 minutes to tell your brain that it is full.
    *Cut back on sugars by limiting the amount of soda you drink
    *Choose foods that are lower in fat and calories.

Eat More:
    *Baked, boild, broiled, or steamed food
    *Fruits and vegetable
    *Whole wheat bread and brown rice
    *Nonfat milk, nonfat yogurt, nonfat cheese

Eat Less:
    *Pan Fried or deep-fat fried foods
    *French fries, chips, crackers
    *White bread, white rice, and potatoes
    *High-fat dairy foods, such as whole milk, cheese, cream, and ice cream

This information is not intended to diagnose health problems or to take the place of medical advice or care you receive from your physician or other medical professional. If you have persistent health problems, or if you have further questions, please consult your doctor.
    I'm going to get more fish in me, and really ignore the bit about fat. They also seem to think "a calorie is a calorie", putting "eat smaller portions" right in there. A protein calorie is NOT the same as a carb calorie, or sugar calorie or any other kind! They are all unique!
    I'm also going to eat whole wheat breads... NOT!
    NOTHING the medical profession has ever done has helped me to lose ~70 lbs. The support from my friends at this site, my own determination, the podcasts from "Latest in Paleo", and ultimately what started it for me: Jared Diamond's paper "The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race".
    Good for now!
    Cheers!

Misti is offline Member
    Charlie, have you read the Cholesterol Essentials Mark linked to in one of his posts? I don't think a total reading of 213 is anything to worry about -- and as a type 2 diabetic, I KNOW that a FBS of 106 is no big deal. Yes, it does mean that your pancreas is distressed, but by age 50, that's true of virtually everyone! Having ditched junk food and grains for the most part means you're doing most of what you need to do to give your pancreas a break and a chance to heal. I also use supplements (magnesium, alpha lipoic acid, chromium nicotinate, etc) to help my pancreas heal, but my fasting blood sugar when I was diagnosed back in 1996 was 350. I have a LOT of healing to do.

More fish is a good plan. So is ignoring the CW advice your doctor has provided.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast