Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Just starting out page 2

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like you got a good handle on this Charlie!

To me pork rinds are a great primal treat, as long as they use a good oil to fry them in. I know Robb Wolf and his crew snack on 'em so don't worry about the rinds.

Also- get used to shopping... a lot, but have fun with it. Since you're not buying preserved crap it's shelf life is super quick. We only buy produce for a couple of days to reduce spoilage and throwing out money. You'll get to where you have the shopping down and you'll only make several small 10 min tips apposed to a 1 large 2 hour trek.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Paleo Charlie is offline Senior Member

Cool Shopping, et al

Hi El!
    Yeah, I think you're right. We always go out for at least one item between the weekly shopping trips anyway. I'm going to attempt to gather a big list of good primal/paleo recipes in a spreadsheet/database and randomly generate a weekly menu (possibly with expiration times).

That kind of stuff is funner than WoW for me!
    We're going shopping at Whole Foods tonight and will likely get lots of veggies and stuff that Anna mentioned in her previous post here.

I think tonight we're having bacon wrapped drumsticks!
    MMMMmmmm!

anna-banana is offline Senior Member
    Hi Charlie,

Did you make the drumsticks? I actually made them again today at home for some friends (we were watching the football games). I keep tinkering with the seasonings and they just get better and better. I put some more dried oregano on them today and sprinkled the wrapped drumsticks once more with cayenne before popping them in the oven. If you have a CostCo close by, consider getting drumsticks there. I got a massive pack that was divided up into 6 individual packs of 6 drumsticks each for $10. They sure lasted us several dinners!

I struggled last night when we went out to dinner. We went out for a nice light sushi dinner, but then ended up at another restaurant/lounge for a cocktail. We know the chef there and he ended up bringing over truffled mac & cheese and I just couldn't contain myself.... and then today I had three beers while watching football. To make up for it I did some more primal movements today and will be going on a hike tomorrow. I think it's better to just pick yourself up after a failure and try to make up for it, rather than sulk and be depressed about it - after all we're human and we make mistakes :-)
    25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Aww, nope!

No, no drumsticks last night. We took a trip to Whole Foods in Rosemead and is that place expensive or what? We got some essential stuff though, coconut oil and such, including drumsticks. Whew! $100 later and we're on our way home.

I think that you can have a couple o' beers once in a while! Like you say, you're doing primal movements and taking a hike too. It may rain though, so good luck!

nikko is offline Member
    Hi Charlie,

Sounds like your doing great, I too am just beginning my primal journey here and like you am really enjoying it. Hope you don't mind Anna but i'm going to pinch that Drumstick recipe too....

I'm trying not to weigh myself too often but couldn't resist today - was pleased to see I had lost 8 pounds in the last 10 days, down to 356pounds.

Seems almost impossible to lose weight and eat like were doing but who cares as long as it works.

Oh Anna, I live in England Uk and am really jealous - 10dollars for all those drumsticks? Wow - it's so expensive here in comparison.

Good luck to you both on your journey and wish you all the best.

Nick

Hi Nick!
    I'm glad to see that you are losing weight and getting a handle on your health. That drumstick recipe will likely get my family on board with the paleo/primal eating, or at least a step closer. Wife is making a stock from one of the chickens I roasted for dinner last night. $10 for those 2 chickens at Costco (Sorry Nick!).

For breakfast we had bacon (yessss!), scrambled eggs (in bacon fat, mmmm), and the saute' I made a couple days ago (bacon, Portabello mushrooms, shallots). Really lovely!

I'll be weighing myself on Monday. I haven't got a scale at home, I'll be using the big factory scale where I work. I figure once a week, at the most, is sufficient.

Good luck Nick, I wish you well on your journey as well!
    We're all going to make it!

CaseyBee is offline Junior Member
    -primal Charlie
    I too am new to this, I started in easy towards the end of December and am now totally dedicated and the first thing I noticed was energy too! I thought I was becoming an insomniac because I was just never really ready for bed! But now I see it's just that I actually have energy now! Good luck on everything!

Thanks Casey!
    I went with the family to McDonald's (insert Boos and Hisses here) tonight. I just wasn't HUNGRY, and wouldn't eat that "fewd", spelled wrong for emphasis. I discovered a mental trick: I now say "I don't eat that.", not "I don't eat that anymore.".

I think for me it shows that I have made a final decision.
    I WILL NOT EAT THAT CRAP!

I haven't started on any of the recommended exercises yet, other than daily walks for about 30 minutes, but the other stuff is starting this week.
    I wish you luck as well. We can DO IT!
    Last edited by Paleo Charlie; 01-16-2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: I thought of something else to add!

Monday, January 16 2012

Last night I had a big mixed green salad alone while my wife was watching the Golden Globe awards. No matter, she wouldn't have approved of my salad dressing anyway... lovely BACON GREASE! Man, was that good!

I also figured out when I can walk and get at least 15 minutes of sun: AFTER I drive to work. I go early, avoiding some traffic, then walk. It will be better in the spring/summer when the sun comes up earlier and stays up later. Yes. Yes, I know that's subjective time, the sun shines all the time. I am a scientist you know. You Aspie types, mellow out. I'm an Aspie too.

anna-banana is offline Senior Member
    Hey Charlie, that's a great way to get your walk and sunshine in AND avoid rush hour traffic

We had grilled steaks last night and steamed broccoli as well as some tomatoes topped with mozzarella. Today we are going to have to do a left-overs dinner. Ever since I started cooking primal, I always make extra, so that there is no temptation to eat crap when I'm tired and don't want to cook. So on tonight's menu is a little bit of everything - beanless chili, drumsticks wrapped in bacon, and avocado salad.

AWESOME JOB on the McDonald's trip! When I really crave fast food, I go to In-n-Out Burger and get a double double protein style (wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun). Sometimes you have to compromise

I suggest you start doing the wall pushups, etc. It really does make a difference if you do the primal movements for even 5-10 minutes a day!
    25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast