Thread: USMA Student interested in Primal... page

snowmn98 is offline Junior Member

USMA Student interested in Primal...

Primal Fuel
    Well how to start off?

I am a student at the US Military Academy who recently decided to try Primal. We exercise and run alot, and my unit does "crossFit" related workout movements, but we go for longer time periods. We alos do alot of Push ups and Situps. Well Im a 6'5'', and about 180 Lbs. I wouldnt say I have much body fat, and it is all around my stomach and my little "Love Handles". I am wondering how Primal should I eat? What food groups should I mostly consume? Could you give me some examples of amount of food I should consume?

Also, I would Like to maybe get a 6 pack or make my Ab's more defined and noticable...Would anyone be able to help me with that?

Thanks for all the help

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    If you're exercising a lot, you'll need more carbs than the typical primal/paleo eater. Don't shy away from starch like sweet potatoes and plantains. Aside from that, just don't eat processed foods, grains, or sugar, and you can eat whatever meat and veggies you want. Eat til you're full.

snowmn98 is offline Junior Member
    Would I be able to eat Bread Rolls and Sandwhiches?
    Would Rice be considered Processed Grain?

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmn98 View Post
    Seriously?
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Jett Airliner is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I'm a candidate for USNA, been talking with some friends up there about how easy it would be to eat primal. I don't know much about USMA, I assume the food is more or less similar. It'll be tough. Breakfast, go for tons of meat and a decent amount of fruit (not a lot of fruit, you'll be starving by lunch). As far as I know, eggs and omelettes, along with ham and sausage and such are common. Lunch, whatever meat you can get, probably with a huge salad. Dinner, meat and vegetables. Keep away from the ice cream, cake, all that.

You'll have an uphill battle. Everything's full of sugar and processed crap. Avoid the bread, avoid the candy, avoid the cake. Drink water, milk, coffee if you like it. And look around a lot through this website. With the amount of exercise you're getting, eating right will have you looking defined pretty fast. Good luck. And let me know how it works out for you!

Jmb
    Jmb is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I am a 2007 grad. What are your goals? You have a very active lifestyle there and, unless something's drastically changed since 2007, limited access to good food. So you will need a higher carb level. You'll pretty much have to stay away from Highland Falls and Grant. The commissary will provide good food but storage is limited to your fridge (if you're a firstie) or the company fridge - in which case your food will get stolen. So the DFAC is your best bet, but the food selection is whatever your being served. You will be served a lot of grains and dairy so going Primal on DFAC food is very hard.

That said, talk to the nutritionist in Washington Hall. He/she will be able to get you set up on a diet that will meet your needs. I just don't think Primal is feasible at West Point given your lack of space and freedoms. I didn't eat out very much and I had great success eating healthy in the DFAC (with great weight loss and PT improvements).

Jmb
    Jmb is offline Junior Member
    The foods are similar but the DFACs are very different

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Seriously?
    Dear God, I hope not.

Eating a paleo diet, except rolls and sandwiches, would like saying, "I'm a vegetarian, except for pork."

esloser is offline Member
    I'm a 2003 USNA Grad... GO NAVY!!!

I remember switching to Atkins my firstie year to cut some weight before graduation. At the time, I was a rugby player at 6'2" and about 230lbs and on the upper limits of the height / weight restrictions.

Breakfasts were pretty easy - I remember them having hardboiled eggs every morning and bacon or sausage links. Lunches were a bit more difficult as it was typically processed foods - chicken tenders or some other sandwich type thing. Dinners were typical, but there was always a salad bar that you could make a huge salad if nothing else was available. Don't know if this still applies today though or if Westpoint is similar... Best of luck!!!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So you've decided to go primal without knowing what the fundamental principles of primal are? Why? Do you often decide to do something without knowing anything about it?
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-13-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: clarification
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.