Thread: Brand new - question on eating just protein and fat page

wolfcat is offline Junior Member

Brand new - question on eating just protein and fat

Shop Now
    Hi

I have been lurking on the forum for awhile and finally decided to ask a question. I have been 260 pounds off and on since 2000. I lost 100 pounds on Atkins, but it didn't stick. The more veggies I added, the more weight I gained. I attempted a low carb diet over the summer and for 3 months didn't lost a pound. The more veggies I added, the worse I felt (stomach pain, bloating). My chiropractor has suggested that I eat just protein and fat for 10 days to see if this kick starts my body. I am wondering if anyone has eaten just protein and fat for a short time and how this worked for them?

Typical day on low carb:

breakfast:
    3 eggs with spices and ocassionally salsa and avocado cooked in butter or coconut oil

lunch:
    beef, pork or chicken (rarely) with romaine lettuce, cucumbers and raw beets (sometimes that is the most I can handle veggie wise)

dinner:
    same as lunch though with avocado added

i eat a few teaspoons of coconut oil throughout the day, drink about 1.5 liters of water, drink several cups of green or white tea, and drink coconut milk.
    I snack on coconut flakes (and have been craving these - basically shredded coconut meat) and eat dark chocolate as needed (85% or better)
    I have cut out most grains and other crap.

Thanks in advance for your help.

wolfcat

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    After eating just meat and fat for a couple days, by the second/third day, I hit carb flu. It only lasts a day.
    I'll eat just meat and fat for awhile, until I start craving things I shouldn't be - it ALWAYS turns out that I need some veggies for whatever nutrients I'm lacking. So, I just cycle back and forth - depending on how I feel.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Hi Wolfcat,

I am definitely not an expert, so I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I've done/am doing.

I eat very strict Paleo - no grains, no dairy, no legumes (one day per week I have a good carb day when I eat white rice and sweet potatoes). I've had digestive issues for a long time that kind of come and go: constipation, bloating, gas, abdominal cramping (that was bad enough it caused me to miss my cousin's wedding). Went to gastroenterologists, got checked out, couldn't find anything wrong. I've been stumped, since I'm eating so clean, I just couldn't figure it out. Then someone on this forum mentioned FODMAPS - I googled it, and after some research, decided that might be causing my problem. That led to me also reading about fructose malabsorption, which is also a possible suspect for my issues.

You can easily google FODMAPS or fructose malabsorption, but here are some links anyway:

foodreactions.org:: Fructose Malabsorption

Complete FODMAP List For a Happy Gut | Blog | Cassandra Forsythe Connecticut's Female Fitness and Nutrition Scientist

The FODMAPs Approach ? Minimize Consumption of Fermentable Carbs to Manage Functional Gut Disorder Symptoms

Also, I am thinking I probably have a leaky gut, which seems to be a somewhat common problem - it's worth looking into. Below is a link:

THE LEAKY GUT PRESCRIPTION......... - Jack Kruse

If you want more details, or have other questions, please feel free to ask, or send me a private message!

Good luck!

So now, I'm currently doing an elimination diet to systematically see if specific groups of foods might be giving me trouble. I'm now eating ONLY meat, fish, and some good fat (coconut oil, cod liver oil). When my bloating/inflammation/whatever it is disappears, I'm introducing one new food group to see how I react. When I first started, I anticipated it would be a nightmare, because I LOVE fruits and veggies, but now that I've been on an all meat/protein/fat diet for a week, I have to say that I feel totally fine.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Just give it a go and see how you feel. You could then start having veg one at a time, so you know which affect you the worst. I am doing this at the moment.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I went VLC/ZC for a while. Lost a bunch of weight, but it really interfered with my workouts. Went (relatively) high carb primal, and things went even better. YMMV, as you situation is different than mine.