Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought my first jar of organic virgin coconut oil :D page

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member

Just bought my first jar of organic virgin coconut oil :D

Primal Fuel
    Having enjoyed a lot of time on this site recently, I've become inspired to become more primal... thus this evening I made a special shopping trip to 'The Real Food Company' shop in Bristol to buy my first ever jar of the wonderful white stuff.

It's a 690 g jar from Essential Trading Co-operative Ltd - Fairtrade & Organic wholefood wholesale

Perhaps this sounds silly but I was wondering how coconutty it was going to taste. After a short (ahem) wrestle to open the jar , I tasted a smidge, and - wow - it tastes gorgeous. Coconutty, but not overpowering. I just know my veg, and salmon and trout fillets are going to taste great fried in this stuff.

While shopping, I also had a damn good browse of the other shelves, and picked up a jar of parsley pesto which only has the ingredients extra virgin olive oil, parsley and salt. What a find. Yes it's a bit lazy, but should be great for adding some extra flavour to my lunches at work.

I also bought some broccoli and alfalfa sprouts (are those primal???). I've eaten them before and know they are delicious and nutritious. Plus I bought some tasty looking trout fillets which I plan to eat for breakfast tomorrow fried in some coconut oil along with red onion and fresh coriander.

What a haul!

So... I've been using a lot of goat's butter (sometimes with olive oil added) for frying my veggies, fish and omelettes (yes I'm pescatarian for my sins).

Will I feel the benefit of switching to virgin coconut oil for most of my frying? Bear in mind I eat a lot of medium/high fat goats cheese, so goat's butter's probably not giving me much that the cheese doesn't. I've been using a bit of coconut cream now and then (but it's not from a healthfood label).
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Subbing coconut oil should be helping you drop fat faster. The MCTs in the oil make them easy to absorb by the body and not prone to storage. Plus I hear it helps to promote ketosis as well, probably because of the aforementioned fact. So yes, you will feel benefits. Especially if you end up being slightly dairy-sensitive.

badly_dubbed is offline Senior Member
    cocnut oil should taste pretty bland if its pure out the jar, only when cooked or heated should it taste coconutty.....but the smell should be very intense
    "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I love making hot wings with mine! Broil some salt and peppered chicken wings, then toss them in a pot of melted coconut oil mixed with your favorite hot sauce (I love Louisiana Hot Sauce). Sooo easy and delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by badly_dubbed View Post
    cocnut oil should taste pretty bland if its pure out the jar, only when cooked or heated should it taste coconutty.....but the smell should be very intense
    I have a very keen sense of smell/taste. This stuff purports to be 100% fat.

Looking forward to my breakfast tomorrow :-)
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Subbing coconut oil should be helping you drop fat faster. The MCTs in the oil make them easy to absorb by the body and not prone to storage. Plus I hear it helps to promote ketosis as well, probably because of the aforementioned fact. So yes, you will feel benefits. Especially if you end up being slightly dairy-sensitive.
    Thanks, I'm feeling very positive about this.

I'm sensitive to cow's casein but seem to be ok with goats and sheeps diary, just like my late grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    I love making hot wings with mine! Broil some salt and peppered chicken wings, then toss them in a pot of melted coconut oil mixed with your favorite hot sauce (I love Louisiana Hot Sauce). Sooo easy and delicious!
    It's all sounding good!

cave-e8r is offline Member
    I read on here about people putting a tablespoon of it in their morning coffee, and I tried it. I didn't like it at first, took some getting used to, but now I look forward to it. No shit, I go to bed excited about getting up in the morning so I can put coconut oil in my coffee and start my day. Also, since I've started doing this I've noticed a big drop in my weight.

otzi Guest
    When you get down to half a jar, put the whole jar in the microwave (or pot of water) to melt the oil. Then, stir in 4-6 heaping spoons of 100% Powdered Baking Cocoa. Mix it together and put the jar in the fridge over night. Next day take it out and let it get to room temp. It's now a jar of chocolate goodness. i eat it right out of the jar. Almost the consistency of peanut butter. You can also mix coconut flakes, nuts, whatever in with the chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    When you get down to half a jar, put the whole jar in the microwave (or pot of water) to melt the oil. Then, stir in 4-6 heaping spoons of 100% Powdered Baking Cocoa. Mix it together and put the jar in the fridge over night. Next day take it out and let it get to room temp. It's now a jar of chocolate goodness. i eat it right out of the jar. Almost the consistency of peanut butter. You can also mix coconut flakes, nuts, whatever in with the chocolate.
    Ooh stop it you're making me hungry! I have some Cadbury's Bourneville pure Cocoa powder unopened, ready and waiting in my cupboard. That sounds even better than Lindt's 90% dark choc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast