Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (The journey of the red-headed caveman) page

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (The journey of the red-headed caveman)

Shop Now
    Hello all!

Been a daily apple forum reader/lurker for quite some time. I have posted here and there but never had the urge to create a journal, until now. I'm thinking that becoming more publically accountable for my actions will lead to better decision making.

A little about me. I have been on and off primal/paleo for about a year now. Diets changed with changing relationships but I am now more committed than ever to make this a lasting lifestyle change. I have had a lot of ups and downs with my weight since as long as I can remember. The real tipping point coming in HS when I finally leaned out after my sophmore year growth spurt.

Stats:

Height: 5'9
    Weight: 188
    Hair Color: RED!!
    Goals: Two main goals of starting this journal. 1) Look better naked. 2) Enjoy life.

I am a former NCAA athlete (crew) and have been active all my life. I am built like a sprinter and I am more akin to power lifting/Oly lifting than running 10 miles. I practice functional fitness and continue to dabble in Crossfit, HIIT and Tabata training.
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

Lunch: Pulled pork with vinegar based bbq sauce (homemade), Cauli/Delicata squash roasted in olive oil and rosemary, 2 cups salad

Workout: Move slowly. 1 hour walk with 40lb sand bag
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Dam- that pulled pork sounds awesome! Keep it goin' BG!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

So...woke up 20 minutes late today. Not sure how I shut my alarm off and went back to sleep. I never do that. Regardless, that means I logged about 9 hours of sleep last night.

Dinner last night was two italian sausage, peppers, onions and mushrooms all cooked in bacon fat (YUM). I didn't tell my roommate what they were cooked in before she tasted and said they were the best flavored onions she had ever eaten *WIN*
    My Leangains Journey

Oh the Places You'll Go has always been a favorite of mine. Feeling a bit lost and in a haze today and this poem always has a way of bringing me back down. ENJOY!!

But on you will go
    though the weather be foul
    On you will go
    though your enemies prowl
    On you will go
    though the Hakken-Kraks howl
    Onward up many
    a frightening creek,
    though your arms may get sore
    and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike
    and I know you'll hike far
    and face up to your problems
    whatever they are.

You'll get mixed up, of course,
    as you already know.
    You'll get mixed up
    with many strange birds as you go.
    So be sure when you step.
    Step with care and great tact
    and remember that Life's
    a Great Balancing Act.
    Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
    And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?
    Yes! You will, indeed!
    (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...
    be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
    or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
    you're off to Great Places!
    Today is your day!

Your mountain is waiting.
    So...get on your way!
    Last edited by BuffaloGrok; 01-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.

All aboard the primal FAIL bus.

Spent the weekend in the woods of southern/central New York and was slightly limited on my food options. Had a little bit of gluten over the course of the weekend but surprisingly didn't feel so bad. Though, I did imbibe on quite a few beers over the weekend. Oh well, pick your battles I suppose.

In other news, the girl that I have been seeing for the past month or so has taken a keen interest in going primal with me. I was pretty shocked because the topic kind of came out of left field, but she has already bought a copy of the book and has been texting me questions over the last couple of days. Pretty excited as I have never been with somoene that would even consider being primal with me....stay tuned.
    My Leangains Journey

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
    All aboard the primal FAIL bus.
    That made me laugh. I boarded the primal FAIL bus over the holidays and went for quite a ride.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Pretty excited as I have never been with somoene that would even consider being primal with me....stay tuned.
    SCORE! Woot Woot!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Had a pretty major breakthrough in my eating habits over the last week. I am normally a pretty emotional/stress eater and it's been something I have struggled with for quite some time. When the going gets really difficult, I would always turn back to pizza and fast food as a way to make my self feel better.

Fast forward to January 2012 and the stress surrounding my job and compensation. Today we received our bonus (or lack of) and salary figures for 2012. This type of stress would usually have me running to the nearest pizza joint to scarf down a few slices and some wings. But for some reason, that didn't happen. I resolved to myself that I didn't need to have that food to make me feel better.

I think that I really didn't want to let myself down, and it helps to be seeing someone doing the primal thing also. Albeit a short relationship thus far, I feel like I would be letting her down as well.

Well that's enough blabbering from me. I'm off to get back on the job hunt and find a company that wants to pay me for busting my ass....
    My Leangains Journey

Well well well, thank goodness the weekend is upon us! What an emotional week it has been, but I have been good in the food arena. Looking forward to a relaxing night with good food and the new gf spoiling me on a night out of town over the border I love cananda and especially love visiting Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. It's funny that people from Buffalo don't really appreciate one of the worlds wonders in their own backyard.
    My Leangains Journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast