Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Regarding IBS page

mike_nyc is offline Junior Member

Question Regarding IBS

Primal Fuel
    My wife joined the primal life style about 5 months ago and has been pretty strict about it, so I would say she is 85/15 and recently (about 4 days ago) she started gaining about 2 pounds a day and her belly is very bloated, she looks like she did when she was 6 month pregnant. She went to the doctor today and they think she might have IBS but need to run more test. Anyone have a similar expeirence.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    IBS is most often food intolerance based, usually FODMAPS. What's her diet like? Has she added anything recently?

After further review from the doctor they think it is a bacterial infection so I dont think her diet is the cause of anything.

Thanks for responding.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    If they give her antibiotics for it, make sure she takes a good probiotic along with it and for a while afterward to recolonize her gut flora with the good guys.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Make her ditch indigestible fibers for awhile that will clear up the bloating.
    Indigestible fibers can cause blockage and obstruction, letting liquid run by and it will appear as diarrhea, even though she is really constipated. Drinking more water won't help moving this blockage forward. How long has it been since the last bowel movement?
    Indigestible fibers will not digest, instead they get pushed along and undergo a fermentation process from hydrochloric acid + gut bacteria, and they will ferment until the end of time ...
    Long fermentation = lots of GAS.
    Indigestible fibers are broccoli, kale, skins of apples, skins of tomatos, white stuff on oranges, etc...(worst are the bran of grains)

Also, dairy products (high calcium) causes constipation, because it puts the intestines to sleep. Make her take Magnesium Citrate.

A diet of a combination of high indigestible fibers + dairy products always leads to IBS.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_nyc View Post
    After further review from the doctor they think it is a bacterial infection so I dont think her diet is the cause of anything.

Thanks for responding.
    An infection like SIBO? If so then that's a tricky area and most doctors don't know anything, or how to deal with it. If it's something else then nevermind. But if so she needs to be very careful and do her research, otherwise they can very well make it worse.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    If they give her antibiotics for it, make sure she takes a good probiotic along with it and for a while afterward to recolonize her gut flora with the good guys.
    Hi,
    I understand taking probiotics to replace beneficial the bacteria killed off by the antibiotis, but is there any point taking the pro's while you're still taking the anti's? Won't they just continue to be killed off until the course of anti's is finished?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member

ripools is offline Junior Member
    it is a bacterial infection so I dont think her diet is the cause of anything.

Thanks everyone for your response. As usual this community is always very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast