Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've done a vitamin D blood test, quite a while ago (in may 2011).
    It came up as 16 ng/ml in the Vitamin D 25 (OH) test.
    Is this test accurate?

If so, am I fucked? XD

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Just means you should supplement Vitamin D and/or get a boatload more sun...

--Me

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    You won't die, but yes, get more sun and/or supplement. When you are that low, you need to start supplementing high (10,000 IU/day).

Where did you get this testing done? Your doctor should have told you what to do if you got it done in the office.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    You won't die,
    Not entirely true from the perspective of what being deficient in vitamin D can contribute to. A deficiency can also be a symptom of disease.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    True, there's just a lot of panicky newbs on lately and most of the time they just need to use a little common sense.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

My doctor told me that, but it seems he took it quite lightly, told me to supplement with a 400 dose, (pretty damn low). I'm gonna buy a vitamin D supplement ASAP.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    400 is the RDA which is very low. It's not going to raise your blood levels much if at all. You can safely supplement past 10,000 IU/day (I do 8,000 in the winter and 4,000 in the summer), and vitamin D is dirt cheap so it won't cost much.

I recommend Carlson's drops since they are dissolved in coconut oil and are ridiculously easy to take (just drop them on your tongue) and should be highly absorbable since they are in fat. I get the kind that's 4000 IU per drop and it works out to about $0.08/day.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I was very low & needed 8,000 IUs to get my level up. Haven't been sick in over 2 years!

Thanks for the info!
    Though I find it hard to believe I'll find carlson's here. (in Israel). But I'll hope for the best.
    I think I'll take a decent dosage and have a blood test in about 2 weeks. (or sooner if I'll feel like it).
    The only reason I even think about taking a blood test is because that blood test I mentioned earlier is from may 2011. My vitamin D level might be a little better now.

Grizz is offline Banned
    DrLove,

NO ! ! NO ! !

You must take your new level (10,000 IU Daily ) of Vitamin D3 for at least 3 months before getting your next blood test. The reason for this is it takes time for all of your body reservoirs to "Fill Up" Then after your next blood test, you can adjust your dosage up or down as required. Each 1,000 IU change in dosage results in a 10 ng/ml change in blood level. Your goal is 80 ng/ml to 100 ng/ml per Dr. Kruse.

See these links:
    Vitamin D optimization thoughts - Jack Kruse
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world

Grizz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast