Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living on a Ship... page

Janola02 is offline Junior Member

Living on a Ship...

Hi Guys,

I am a young in shape individual who has been primal now for about two months. I struggled with an ED and have found that going Primal has completely diminished my urge to binge.

I am about to embark on a 90 day program where I will be living on a 117 foot schooner while earning college credits.

I would like to stay primal while voyaging around and while I do believe there will be an abundance of fresh fish, etc. I am concerned about meals like breakfast (when most kids do not eat steak like I in the morning).

To ensure I stick to my Primal ways, I am looking for some suggestions for bringing some Primal approved snacks along for the ride.

I was thinking about bringing a mass quantity of a variety of nuts and seeds. But who wants to eat a handful of nuts every morning for breakfast. I was then thinking about bringing snack bars, however the majority of the brands contain a large amount of sugar. Then I thought about bringing jerky, but all the grass fed jerky either needs to be refrigerated or it expires (ie. limited shelf life).

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

You could try making pemmican. If done correctly it's supposed to last along time without refrigeration.

Will you have eggs available for breakfast?

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Rice Krispies with whole milk, or cream if available.

Being realistic here; it's going to be quite hard to eat fresh meat and veggies while at sea for 90 days. Unless you talk to the HMFIC about your special dietary needs, this will be the best option. Rice Krispies are pure starch; no bad oils, added sugar or wheat.

You're going to sea. It's going to be hard. This is likely the least bad option. If you can, find Robb Wolfs podcast where he interviews Kurt Harris.

Janola02 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys. I will certainly look into preparing pemmican. As far as eggs go, I'm sure they will have them, but being Paleo I could easily down half a dozen for breakfast, so I'll have to cut back on that (so that everyone else does not starve). I didn't think of Rice Krispies... I never knew they didn't have wheat?!

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janola02 View Post
    Thanks guys. I will certainly look into preparing pemmican. As far as eggs go, I'm sure they will have them, but being Paleo I could easily down half a dozen for breakfast, so I'll have to cut back on that (so that everyone else does not starve). I didn't think of Rice Krispies... I never knew they didn't have wheat?!
    Until recently they had barley malt extract, so were wheat-free but not gluten-free. but it seems that has changed recently and they are now gluten free.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Dry fish along the way. Eat fish for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner!

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Tanka bars
    5lb bag of grain-free granola

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Fresh fish day & night. I'd be eating as much as I could. I'd pack a large amount of bison jerky and a good supply of multi-vitamins. Are you going to be docking? Fresh fruits and veggies from numerous locales would be a cheap addition each stop.

ripools is offline Junior Member
    Eat fish for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner!

norak is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bring some potatoes?
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast