Thread: Yet another anti-saturated fat article-research page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Yet another anti-saturated fat article-research

Shop Now
    http://www.nature.com/ni/journal/v12...l/ni.2022.html

They seem to point out that saturated fats lead to insulin resistance and inflammation. And especially the "palmitic acid".

What's your opinion of the matter?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of words in that article that are beyond my understanding. My personal experience is I developed insulin resistance by eating too much candy, cookies and pastries. It usually turns out that articles like that confuse fat and sugar, that they almost never give the rats or the people a diet that actually separates the carbohydrate from the fat. And they never give the rats or the people real fat. They usually give them manufactured fats like soybean oil, not grass-fed butter. My personal experience was when I dropped the carbs and the manufactured fats and started eating grass-fed beef, butter and cream, pastured eggs and chicken and green vegetables slathered in animal fat, coconut oil or butter with only an occasional bit of sweet potato for my carbohydrate portion, my insulin resistance became a non-issue and I lost weight and feel 1000% more healthy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

somedaypaleo is offline Member
    To do a scientific study they have to remove variables to extrapolate meaning from data.

Means they HAVE to use processed oil/fat/everything if it's going to be 'scientific' (read: publishable) to insure everything is identical between subjects, except what they want different. If they fed them legit stuff it wouldn't be as controllable.

Also why do we use mice so much for diet research when they have a different diet? Chimps, now chimps would be good. But only cause they're crazy.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by somedaypaleo View Post
    To do a scientific study they have to remove variables to extrapolate meaning from data.

Means they HAVE to use processed oil/fat/everything if it's going to be 'scientific' (read: publishable) to insure everything is identical between subjects, except what they want different. If they fed them legit stuff it wouldn't be as controllable.

Also why do we use mice so much for diet research when they have a different diet? Chimps, now chimps would be good. But only cause they're crazy.
    mice are cheap and almost noone is going to be upset about your hurting/killing them.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    mice are cheap and almost noone is going to be upset about your hurting/killing them.
    Also they have a very short life span so you can do "long term studies" in short periods of time.