Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is weird to not experience carb flu? page

Duck is offline Junior Member

Is weird to not experience carb flu?

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to the paleo lifestyle, but I tried Adkins years ago. Everyone told me when I tried Adkins that I'd feel very tired at the least and actually sick at the worst when I cut my carb intake. I didn't. I actually felt great. My energy levels went through the roof. When I started talking about paleo at work, my coworkers were telling me the same thing. There are several people that are a few months ahead of me in the quest to be Grok that were telling me about the carb flu. Once again, my energy levels went through the roof. I haven't felt sick at all. On the contrary, I feel a lot better. Is that strange?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's strange but is perhaps unusual. I think it indicates that your leptin and insulin weren't too mucked up when you started, i.e. your body is not resistant to burning fat and ketones as it's main source of fuel, as most bodies ravaged by the SAD are.

Are you very active? I think that can help.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

rhee is offline Senior Member
    I never had the carb flu. I attributed my lack of flu to the fact that I have always used good fats coming from a WAP background. I say enjoy the energy.

Duck is offline Junior Member
    I'm not very active. I'm probably more active than most in my field (IT), but still not what I'd call very active. My diet was carb heavy, but a lot of that was potatoes, beans, peas, etc. I mainly ate what I or my family grew. 90% of the meat came from animals I killed and processed.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I didn't experience carb flu until I was about 5 or 6 days into it, except maybe some mild dizziness/lightheadness that I attributed more to forgetting to eat than anything. Then it hit hard for about 2 days. It seems to be gone again now.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    never felt it, not for a second .. the wife did however
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    It's been four months for me, and I've had no problems with it at all. Whereas when I tried Atkins, I lost 5 pounds in 4 days and felt like I was going to die.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I never felt it either.

And, I actually felt as though I snorted a few lines every day (askmehowiknow).

Unlimited energy and a weird endorphin rush would happen about three times a day......

I was also in a really good mood, which my children were very thankful for.

I need to get back to that place.... the carbs have crept back in so they're not as low
    as they once were to GET to that Free Narcotic Place.

But that's only because I suck and can't keep out of the damn chocolate!

Sigh.

Julie

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Same here, I felt better from day one on Primal, no carb flu whatsoever. In reading these replies it appears that those of us who already ate lots of real food, no low-fat rubbish and little sugar were able to avoid the temporary funk at the beginning.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I need to get back to that place.... the carbs have crept back in so they're not as low
    as they once were to GET to that Free Narcotic Place.

But that's only because I suck and can't keep out of the damn chocolate!
    You can do it! I've already passed the 10 day mark of no chocolate and have no cravings whatsoever! Once you get rid of it for a while, you sort of forget about it. Plus magnesium supplements help.

And you can tell through my journal that I've had a lot of issues trying to give up chocolate in the past. So if I can do it, so can you!

Are athletes who train until the point of utter exhaustion where glycogen stores are noticeably gone more likely to get accustomed to fat-burning? Or is it the other way around because they do it all the time and the body resists?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast