Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone doing a leptin diet that is NOT Jack Kruse style? page

Raine is offline Member

Anyone doing a leptin diet that is NOT Jack Kruse style?

Primal Fuel
    As the title says...is anyone doing a leptin diet that is NOT Jack Kruse style? But follows the 5 leptin rules as set out by most leptin experts. No snacking, high protein breakfast, 12hrs from dinner to breakfast etc?.

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    Do you mean the 5 rules by Byron Richards? I saw his site and his leptin reset seems much easier. I am interested to know if it is as effective as Jack Kruse's method.

Raine is offline Member
    Yes that's the one I mean. I have read many good reviews of it on different websites, many people having good results. I don't see why it wouldn't work to be honest.

SusanMcL is offline Member
    I'm curious... what are the 5 rules?

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMcL View Post
    I'm curious... what are the 5 rules?
    The Five Rules of The Leptin Diet | Weight Loss News

SusanMcL is offline Member
    Farfalla - Thank you !!!

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    Hmm.... fiber? Fruit? That wouldn't work for me.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Somewhere along the lines i must have reset my leptin somehow (I think) because I don't have hunger/craving/satiation issues anymore, and i used to be a compulsive overeater with a minor in binge-eating. When I first went gluten/dairy free, I was still eating a ton of non-gluten grains and legumey stuff (like hummus, etc). My whole life I've been obsessed with food, with thinking about food, with planning ways to sneak-eat lots of candy or a whole bag of cookies/potato chips without anyone knowing...I'd make a huge dinner, then be starving 20 minutes later. I thought about food constantly, and if I was hungry, I couldn't think about anything else, I'd feel like the world was ending. This sounds like a leptin problem (in addition to other stuff), no?

When i first went Paleo, and cut out the legumes and stopped eating any grains/starches (I'd have something with white rice maybe once a month), it was really hard. I was craving carbs all the time. I didn't know anyting about leptin, or even that there was such a thing as the paleo/primal diet (I fell into paleo as a result of trying to create a healthy diet for myself and realized later it already existed!) Everytime I got a sugar craving, I told myself I could eat as much fruit as I wanted, which I did. Every time I was hungry 10 minutes afer dinner, I told myself I could eat as much as I wanted, as long as it was veggies or lean meat/fish, which I did. Some nights l had 3 dinners (homemade chicken veggie soup). Eventually, over months, my hunger cooled down, my cravings diminished, and now I usually eat 2 meals a day (I do 8/16 intermittent fasts, with some 24hour ones), and either don't feel hungry, or if I do I can acknowledge that I'm hungry and wait till later - my hunger doesn't drive me anymore, it's something in the background that I decide to listen to or not.

In retrospect, the things that were the most important for me were:

*Not ever telling myself that I could never eat things again. Instead, I focused only on the present day. Instead of saying 'I can't eat potato chips', I'd tell myself, 'those chips look good, but not today, maybe tomorrow.'

*Having the green light to eat as much of something healthy (like fruit and veggies) as I needed to be full

*Increasing my protein. A lot. I had been averaging something like 25 grams a day, I now average 75-125 grams per day.

*Making sure I always had healthy food (like veggie soup) in the fridge, so I wouldn't let poor judgement during a hunger attack make me eat junk.

*Not keeping ANY junk in the house. At all. Not even dried fruit, which for me was a binge trigger.

I think it takes time, months and months, to retrain our brains to work properly after a lifetime of being abused. I don't think there's any magic method, and while I think Jack Kruse is awesome, I don't think his method is magic, it's really just about eating a lot of protein to reduce faulty hunger signals.
    Whether you follow his step-by-steps or do a variation, it still takes time, dedication, hard work.

Sometimes I think that people who are feeling powerless need to have something to blame (It's LEPTIN! LEPTIN made me eat that bucket of chicken!) and have a catchy name like 'leptin reset'- to avoid taking responsibility for falling off the wagon or having an unhealthy relationship with food. What I did probably accomplished the same thing as a leptin reset, I just didn't have a cool name to call it.

I hope I've not offended anyone, or implied that hormonal issues aren't real, but sometimes it seems like people are looing for an easy way to fix complicated problems. Fixing our relationship with food isn't easy, there's no magic to it. You just have to grit your teeth and not give up, and it will eventually get better.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    "Resetting your leptin" is based on pseudo science (or really no science at all) and it is just a way to restrict your calories and lose weight. When you follow the rules of resetting your leptin you eat more protein which blunts hunger and you don't snack which cuts down your calories, thus you lose weight.

Nothing magic about it. I challenge anyone that says otherwise to post one study showing that any of that stuff does ANYTHING to leptin. Spoiler alert, there are none, because its bullshit.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    LOL @ these 5 rules:

The Five Rules of the The Leptin Diet are:
    Rule 1: Never eat after dinner.
    Rule 2: Eat three meals a day.
    Rule 3: Do not eat large meals.
    Rule 4: Eat a breakfast containing protein.
    Rule 5: Reduce the amount of carbohydrates eaten.

Each one of those rules, if followed, reduces the amount of calories you eat. That is why it works. Because you aren't eating as many calories. My favorite is that you are limited to 3 meals a day, but they can't be big, LOL! "I'm losing weight because I am resetting my leptin"...ughhh, no, sorry, you are losing weight by eating less calories.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast