Thread: So I found my old food journal... page

Ande is offline Senior Member

So I found my old food journal...

About 2 years ago I kept a food journal for 6 months. It was supposed to help make me more aware of what I was eating, just another attempt in my constant attempts to loose weight.

It is incredibly hard to believe not only how poorly I ate but how unaware I was about how poor my food choices were. I can't chock it up to anything other than me being delusional.

In 6 months I made 0 meals at home, ate fast food on an average of at least once a day, and probably consumed no more than 6 servings of veggies, in 6 months!

I've been primal since June and haven't lost much weight to speak of but in terms of health, no comparison! I used to care so much about loosing weight, I still do because I know it will make my healthier, but knowing that my body is being fueled by truly nutritious food is even better.

Here is one of my favorite entries...
    10a: coffee and $6 burger from Carl's Jr.
    3:30p: apple fritter and iced chai
    6p: marble loaf
    8p: mega sandwich @work
    11p: mini doughnut

I worked at Starbucks at the time, that is where all the pastries come from. Most days looked pretty similar to the above entry. Well usually on my way home from working the closing shift I'd stop by Del Taco, apparently the "mega sandwich" was enough that night.

Crazy!

All I can think of is, how far we've all come.

Anyone else have a story they care to share of reminders they have found from the pre-primal life?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Just lots of binges on takeaways from a mcdonalds drive through while my children were asleep in the car.
    Id get so stressed with them, so id for a drive, and always end up there. Plus lots of coffees from the starbucks drive through (flavoured ones).

You sound like you have come so far, I know I can never go back there.
    If we have takeaways now its a whole chicken from nandos or oporto (they seem to not use any nasty oils) but still try to avoid it or a naked burrito from mad mex. Id still rather stay home now.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    dont get stressed like that anymore, I blame grains for making me so short tempered and unable to deal with stuff.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    I was laid up with a knee injury for quite a long time, and I was getting my groceries delivered. Recently I went back and looked through the e-mail logs from the delivery service to see the stuff I was ordering. Bread, soda, canned ravioli, canned soup, chips, frozen waffles... y'know, bachelor food. Now I just shudder.

Ha yea, bachelor food. I referred to my food as food that people eat when they are busy.
    Really just goes to show that if you make good nutrition a priority you will find time to make your meals, whole cooked chickens from reputable sources are a different story

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Your mention of Del Taco triggered a story in my mind, its not on topic but i wanted to vent. So I lived in Huntington Beach for a year during grad school with a couple girls. One of whom was a giant, fat b**** of a w****. Seriously, this wasn't just roommate dramas, she was a narcissistic princess alcoholic smoker and was on the verge of becoming a hoarder.

Anyway, we lived just a block and a half from a Del Taco and much of her food came from there, but heres the thing: even though it was a block and a half away, she NEVER walked, she ALWAYS drove. She would throw a literal tantrum if we suggested we walk instead (on the few times we other girls went with her).

We three split up when our lease was up. Lord know what happened to her, but probably nothing good health-wise.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Ha! That's funny!

I live about half a mile from a Del Taco, maybe the same one in HB that you used to live by.
    One time me and my friend walked there and I thought, this isn't a bad walk at all. But yet, it was only one time in the countless times that I went, that I walked.

I remember I rode my bike to Subway once, it's even closer than Del Taco. I was feeling really good about myself, all active, and eating my healthy whole grains, and baked Lays. The bike ride took probably about 2.5 minutes lol :P

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    dont get stressed like that anymore, I blame grains for making me so short tempered and unable to deal with stuff.
    It's a close tie between grains and sugars for what made me a moodier wreck, lol. I think that's one reason my significant other was so supportive of me getting back on primal, I was probably much nicer to him then!

I find it interesting that I no longer have the "anything in moderation" approach. I have vivid memories of budgeting McDonald's ice cream cones into my calorie count for the day (only a couple hundred calories!). And there was also this period where every night for dinner I had a vegan grilled cheese sandwich on that "light" whole wheat bread (the one where the slices are only half the size of a normal slice of bread). Looking back on it, it was soooo gross. But I was so calorie- and nutrient-deprived that I didn't know any better I guess. The frame of mind needed to maintain that kind of self-abuse is astounding.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by elainevdw View Post
    I find it interesting that I no longer have the "anything in moderation" approach. I have vivid memories of budgeting McDonald's ice cream cones into my calorie count for the day (only a couple hundred calories!). And there was also this period where every night for dinner I had a vegan grilled cheese sandwich on that "light" whole wheat bread (the one where the slices are only half the size of a normal slice of bread). Looking back on it, it was soooo gross. But I was so calorie- and nutrient-deprived that I didn't know any better I guess. The frame of mind needed to maintain that kind of self-abuse is astounding.
    Exactly. There are days in my food journal that I can remember by just looking at what I ate and I remember thinking, "I did good today, I barely at anything!" Del Taco would be dinner, my one and only meal, and I would load up just so I could go to sleep with the peace of mind that I was avoiding starvation mode.

It is astounding to think where your mind was. I look back at what I ate and I am almost mad at my former self for being so deceived. Idk, it's just a weird feeling to say the least.