Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: hippie_mama page

hippie_mama is offline Member

Primal Journal: hippie_mama

Shop Now

It feels weird to post in the "Success Stories" forum when i'm only on day 2 (and not feeling very successful!) but here goes anyway:

I'm a stay-at-home mom and homeschool teacher of 3 (ages 8, 6, and 4), leading a somewhat sedentary lifestyle. I do housework, occasionally chase children, and care for my disabled grandmother 3 days a week (she's still mostly self-sufficient; i just have to drive her to appointments, and do her shopping and cleaning). Even though i don't work a paying job full-time, i have very little "me" time, and certainly don't use it to exercise.

Paleo/Primal eating is something i have entered quite reluctantly, following my husband (who has had great success after only a month). I have mentioned this journey-of-sorts elsewhere, but long story short, i wanted to be able to cook for him again, so i joined the community (two days ago) for recipes and information, and finally (yesterday) decided to give it a try myself.

Day 1 was not pleasant. I'll just leave it at that. "Low Carb Flu" is putting it mildly. I think i would have killed a man for a cream-filled donut by 2pm.

Day 2? Well, i'm not proud to say that i already cheated by eating a non-primal blueberry pancake with lunch (at least the berries were locally-grown?). My biggest downfall seems to be eating unwanted leftovers. Wasting food is like a mortal sin around here.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Ooh I hate wasting food too, I completely understand. It's even harder when you have little kids that don't finish anything I'll bet! Low-carb flu can be a doozy, especially the first few days. It seems that for a lot of people, going 100% at first allows their bodies to get over the sugar-burner state and switch to fat burning faster.

Welcome by the way

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

maba is offline Senior Member

Yay! Glad to see you taking on the primal journey Hippie_mama. It'll get only better. Don't worry about the cheats for now, it's only your second day and you've done better than many of us. I've been doing this for more than 6 months and I still have my lapses. Congratulations on deciding to go Primal along with your husband.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Wasting food is a toughie - I'd start by going into your pantry and taking all of your unopened non-primal foods (like pasta, rice, pop tarts, crackers, cans of beans, etc...) and putting them in a box out of sight. That way in a couple weeks when you're sure this is awesome, you can take the box to a local food bank. If you go to parties or get-togethers cook up some non-primal food out of the stuff you still have that's opened already so you can share it and leave the leftovers with someone else to eat. That's what I did when we were starting and it took a little while, but no food was wasted - we didn't actually throw anything away. Made me feel better that way.

If you feel like you need bready stuff for breakfast, try my primal waffle recipe - http://www.joyfulabode.com/2009/10/0...-free-waffles/ (the batter also works well as pancakes - just slowly pour it into circles in the pan, and they take a little longer to cook than regular pancakes so do note that)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Good advice! i have to be honest: i have enough grains in the house right now to comfortably sit out the first several stages of a zombie apocalypse.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

haha i did too when we started. So much pasta bought on sale, triscuits I had picked up for like 50 cents a box with sales+coupons, etc. It was ridiculous. One of the first things I did was rearrange/reorganize the pantry and it helped tremendously.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

Hi hippie_mama and welcome!

The zombie apocalypse comment almost got me in trouble at work with laughing

When I got to cleaning out the kitchen, I sent every guest away with an armful of canned goods, bags of rice, and boxes of pasta. As most of my friends are poor college students, they were grateful. I kind of felt bad (like I was helping to further poison them), but not everyone thinks like we do so it was win-win.

I'm sure you will enjoy the way you feel once you get past carb flu! Just remember that a big part of it is not beating yourself up for cheating. The stress you feel from getting down on yourself does waaaay more damage than the actual "bad" food. If you're going to have something that falls into your 20%, enjoy it and move past it without guilt. In time you'll get to a point where you won't want to cheat, even in the face of the things that seem so irresistible now. Never thought I would be able to say it, but the usual friday office donuts that people bring in turn my stomach now.

So anyway, glad you've decided to join us!

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

I found it helpful to reorganize my pantry, too. I put all rice, pasta and beans up on a really high shelf where they were hard to reach. They are still there and I haven't touched any of them since last summer. Then, in the lower area, I have a big space for everything I use regularly. All of my husband's cereals and crackers go on it's own dedicated shelf. I stay away from there. For some reason, this makes things mentally easier for me. The first things I see are a big jar of nuts and dark chocolate pieces, so if I'm feeling munchy, I can reach for those.

With the fridge stuff, the process was a little slower. I mostly replaced things as they ran out. Now our fridge is pretty perfect: I have a whole shelf just for eggs!

stop_hammertime Guest

Threadjack..

That begs the question, do zombies prefer Primal brains or sugar bomb oat bran wheat flake crust brains?

/threadjack

Anyway, I am just starting out myself. At the grocery store today I swear I tried to eat a chocolate covered doughnut with my eyes. Once I removed myself from temptation I felt much better..oh yeah, I also ate a arse load of beef.

I think it will be a great help that you have someone to do this with.

Research suggests zombie-ism is *caused* by sugary cereal...so presumably, primal eaters are less likely to be targeted for attack--besides, Groks can run faster and fight with spears!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast