Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: hippie_mama page 2

verdilak is offline Member

Primal Fuel

LOL Go Groks!

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

hippie_mama is offline Member

Day 2 is officially complete; i find it far easier to avoid the munchies if i go to bed early--as soon as my kids are asleep, and the husband leaves for work, specifically. So here are my stats for the day; feel free to critique:

Totals:

Calories 989

Fat 44.1

Carbs 82.2

Protein 70.5

Here's how i spent my calories:

Fat(40%)

Carbs(31%)

Protein(29%)

Alcohol(0%)

For reference: FitDay thinks i burn 2,650 calories just by being me and doing light housework. I think they're being generous!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I certainly will be able to run faster than a zombie if it ever comes down to it

Your calories look pretty low, but I'm guessing you ate A LOT more fat than you're used to today?? Sometimes it just takes a little while for your appetite to level out, since fat and protein are incredibly satiating. As long as you're feeling good for day 2 I'd say you look fine so far!

Oh I wanted to add that I'm usually more around 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein, 10-20% carbs (never exceeding 100% of course , which I don't even try for at this point, it's just what happens. You'll figure out what feels best to you after a few weeks.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I agree that your calories sound very low. Eat, girl! Just eat the right things (mostly good fats and protein). The PB is not about being hungry or starving yourself skinny. It's about eating the foods that will let your hormones do their thing to improve your body composition WITHOUT you feeling hungry or short on energy.

As for the temptation to "clean up" after the kids -- why not feed the kids primal foods? Then, you don't have non-primal leftovers staring you in the face.

Re the cheating thing:

Often, the mindset helps. It's not "I CAN'T have this donut," but "I'm CHOOSING not to have this donut."

There's all the difference in the world.

Besides, the stupid donut will still be there next week, if you really want it. Understand that the panicky feeling of letting treats pass you by is habitual or instinctual, and can be controlled by logic. You just have to recognize it for what it is and respond consciously.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

[blockquote]Oh I wanted to add that I'm usually more around 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein, 10-20% carbs (never exceeding 100% of course , which I don't even try for at this point, it's just what happens.[/blockquote]

me too.

Calories and fat look very very very low to me... if you're getting "The munchies" it's probably because you're actually hungry with those stats.

So what foods are you eating? Maybe we can help you think of non-scary ideas to boost your fat intake a bit.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Feeling less weird today between meals, but i'm still getting used to the difference between 'full of veggies and protein' vs 'full of fluffy-yummy carb-stuff.'

I wondered about the calories; logging my food makes me feel a lot more 'guilty' about what i'm eating, so to be completely honest, i'm not just switching out foods, but lowering the volume of food too. Every time i think about eating just a bite of something, the little voice in my head says "yeah, that'll look *real* great on your food chart..." and more often than not, i put it down and walk away! Then stare at my pie charts some more, lol.

I was cleverly avoiding mentioning what *exactly* i've been eating, but since it's been asked, i guess i can list everything from yesterday, and what i've had so far today:

02/11/10

L: 2 cups pumpkin soup (canned pumpkin, chicken broth, and sauteed onions), 1 slice Genoa Salami, 4" Pancake (from a box mix, with fresh blueberries and 0.5 Tbsp butter), 6 Olives (Greek)

S: apple with 1 Tbsp natural peanut butter

D: Chicken breast (from a whole chicken, no skin)

Cauliflower, cooked with green onion (sauteed in coconut oil), Cucumber salad made with cucumber and vinegar

02/12/10

L: Big Ass Salad (1.5 cups mixed greens from a bag, 9 grape tomatoes, 0.5 cup cucumber, 3 olives (greek ones, from the deli), 3 slices natural turkey (whatever that means) from the deli, 0.5 cup leftover cooked cauliflower, 1.5 oz cheese, 0.5 T EVOO, 1 T red wine vinegar), 16 oz 2% milk

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Your pumpkin soup sounds really yummy but I bet it would be REALLY good with some heavy cream stirred in - have you tried that?

1 slice of salami? Who does that? haha have 4-6 slices. yum.

I loooove greek olives mmmm.

peanut butter is obviously not primal (well or the pancake haha) - have you tried almond butter? I like it a lot - also I just recently tried cashew butter and it was SOOOOO good.

Chicken breast - why no skin? Skin is YUMMY and also helps you with the protein to fat ratio (meat "comes with" fat for a reason). Also I hope you cooked it in some butter or something... chicken breast plain is just dismal. You have to add fat!!!

Cucumber salad - have you tried it with EVOO? Toss the cucumbers with olive oil before you add the vinegar (or lemon juice) and it's really really good, and also there's some more good fat for ya.

Your big ass salad sounds good - only 3 olives though? Add some more! And you might want to check up on that turkey. I know our deli turkey here has sugar in it and also MSG - wtf? Also, only .5 T EVOO for THAT MUCH salad?? Pour it on, baby.

And switch to whole milk.

If you do that sort of stuff your calories will come up to a more normal/acceptable/healthy range, and your fat will be a higher percentage of your intake, which will make you feel more full and less munchy.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Good ideas; i still can't get used to meat fat or skin; the texture is too "yucky" to me (also, the bird was cooked in a crock pot, so that makes the skin soft and even less pleasant, imo). Heavy cream and whole milk will be hard to get used to too (i only recently switched from skim, because the kids are getting tall and skinny on me!) The salami was one of those impulse munchies that i grabbed while the kids were making their own lunches. Same with the pancake (eek!). There is some almond butter in the house, but it's so expensive for that little jar; i'm going to pull out the food processor (hopefully today?) and see if it can handle nuts so i can make my own. I think the meat is safe, because my husband nagged the butchers until they determined that the turkey (the stuff that's $8 a pound), their genoa salami, and one brand of ham were the only deli meats they had without corn syrup, corn solids, or MSG. And this is the local grocery chain that has the least additives in their meats.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

FNW's post x 2 That's what I was going to say! Keep the skin on your chicken, switch to full-fat dairy, and be a little bit more liberal with your meat portions. Remember, even CW says 4oz of meat is a serving, and you need AT LEAST that if you're going to have normal calorie ranges without grains.

Everything sounds delicious though! And I agree about the way "full" feels now. Full means satisfied to me now, and I don't want to put more food in my mouth. Eating all the healthy grains in the world, full meant I needed to stop, but that I could easily eat more pasta/rice/crackers no matter how I felt. Very different indeed!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

You're doing really well, it does take a while to get over that nagging feeling of being "naughty"

A thought on the fat / texture thing - how are you with crispy bacon, crispy chicken skin? Avocado on your salad perhaps?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast