Thread: Newbie Primal "Issues" page

galensjp01 is offline Junior Member

Newbie Primal "Issues"

Primal Fuel
    Hey I'm new to primal (only about 2 weeks) but I was slowly making the switch for awhile now. My main reason for going primal was that I felt like wheat/gluten and possibly dairy were accounting for extreme gas and bloating that I was experiencing. So when I switched to primal and cut out grains, I immediately noticed how much better and less bloated/gassy I felt. But now at about two weeks, I've had a few days where the gas is just building up, almost as bad or worse than before!! Is this normal?? My main carbs are apples, bananas, blueberries, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and sometimes brussel sprouts and eggplant. Is it maybe the brussel sprouts and broccoli that could be accounting for it?? other than that, I'm eating alot of meat (trying to gain muscle) and was thinking that this could account for it as well. Any advice or common experiences would be of great help!!! Because other than that I feel phenomenal.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Could be broccoli or brussel sprouts. I think you just need to experiment.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

feastingforager is offline Junior Member
    Cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and sprouts are notorious for their gassy side effects. You might want to try substituting other vegetables in for those until you body becomes more able to reckon them. It takes time for the gut to regain optimum functioning after the abuse of the typical American diet. You're on the right path by feeding your body right, just hang in there. You might also be mildly lactose intolerant. It's not uncommon, and it can become more problematic with age. Just some things to ponder!

somedaypaleo is offline Member
    I'd do a little test:

Make a menu plan that is simply a written and fairly precise equivalent of what you've been eating. Then take a few days and redo it with this vegetable gone, or that one. Finally if that isn't working try eliminating dairy. That way you're still getting the same amount of carbs (theoretically) but can find if it's just one to avoid.

If it's a couple working together? I dunno, try and inuit diet..

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Also, thoroughly cook any of those vegetables, which will decrease their gas effect. Eating any of those raw or only slightly cooked leaves in the properties that cause more gas.

Bosstycoon is offline Senior Member
    I pretty much sautee all veggis wen i eat them! This is carrots, broc,cabbage,zuccini,squash, onions, peppers! All of which i have been eating for about 2 moths now and i do still often have some gas but only at night like after dinner
    Started Primal November 20, 2011
    Slipped from Christmas-New Years
    January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
    Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

galensjp01 is offline Junior Member
    Awesome!! Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to try substituting with other veggies to see if that does the trick!