Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive iodine?? Help!! page

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member

Excessive iodine?? Help!!

Primal Fuel
    So I bought a bag of dulse today and was thrilled with how yummy it is. Problem is, I ate the whole bag before noticing that ONE serving has 780% of your daily needs for iodine- and there were EIGHT servings in the bag!!!!!

Did I just totally screw my body up?? Is this going to cause issues???

My plan is to consume as little of iodine rich foods for the next week to (hopefully) compensate...

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    No idea, but a quick google search found the following:

WHFoods: iodine
    Iodine Overdose | Overdose Symptoms

If you're worried call a dr. or does your country have a poison information line you could phone?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    According to the first link it looks like the save upper limit is 1,100 micrograms.
    And from the same website Dulse contains between 150 & 300 micrograms per gram, so per 100 grams of dulse you're looking at consuming between 15,000 and 30,000 micrograms of iodine...

Any idea how much you ate?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Omg. I threw the package out but I bet I could find it online. Shoot! I am worried now.

Ok 2 oz.. So 28 grams per ounce, 56 grams. That's not good.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Call Poison Control 1-800-222-1222 They'll be able to tell you if you need to do anything. It's anonymous.

I don't feel bad, though.... I don't know!

Just found this!!:

Seaweed contains both iodine and bromine, which generally means you can't overdose on iodine. The reason is simple: bromine displaces iodine. But when bromine and iodine are present together, it makes for iodine bioavailability, while bakery products high in bromine will displace the iodine. The interesting thing is when bromine and iodine (found in nature) as in seaweed are found together, once the body doesn't need iodine it can easily be removed due to the presence of bromine. I have not seen any case of excess iodine consumption from taking of seaweed, but I have seen quite often excess consumption of iodine when they are added in the salt and taken too much. The reason is nature presents us with many minerals in their respective ratios and their antagonism preventing such an overdose and allowing the body to achieve greater equilibrium. This issue appears to be consuming foods from natural rather than chemical if you fear of any possible overdose. Ted"

Ande is offline Senior Member
    Good to know, I was kinda worried for you for a second there :P

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Iodine is actually extremely healthy for you, and we don't get enough of it in our daily diets as is. The RDA is way below what our bodies need to function properly. RDA is 150mcg and our thyroid needs 12.5mg a day to function at optimal level. You probably did your body a favor except for the bromide part. Essentially people do poorly on immediate high doses of iodine because of bromide displacement. Bromide takes up iodine receptor cells causing you to get even less iodine unless you ramp up your intake. Then the iodine will kick out the bromide, which in turn causes a bunch of symptoms people assume is just the iodine. Once the bromide detox is over with, you should feel like a brand new person.

But to answer your question, no need for poison control. You'll be fine. Any lingering symptoms should be addressed with salt loading (1/2 tsp. salt in 8 oz. of water followed by 20 oz. of plain water).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast