Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the most important to buy? page

somedaypaleo is offline Member

What's the most important to buy?

Shop Now
    As you can see from my username I haven't been able to really do the plunge yet. But I'll go into that in a moment.

Started getting interested in the paleo/primal diet a while ago. I've always loved my protein, could down tons of fruit (cut back a lot though.. used to buy into the 'fructose is different than glucose, so you can have more of it'), and actually enjoyed vegetables. Fresh that is.

Since getting into it I've noticed that when I eat bread, or down a ton of milk (it's what's in the house, being a fridge-forager you eat what you can) I'm kind of bloated and- well you get it. When I can go a few days avoiding it, I'm pretty good. Also I randomly IF when I really don't feel like sating my hunger with PB&J. Can't keep that cycle up though, with track and soccer starting. Going to need calories.

Unfortunately when I decided this was all pretty cool and I wanted to do it (around the time I found out I already had single digit bf%) my parents simply said no. They're kinda stubborn about stuff, doesn't help that I used to down tons of pasta ('Marathoners carb load right? So I'll just do it every other day!'). First thing my dad said was "Why do you even want to lower your bodyfat? You're fine!" Second was "Well, if you want to eat low-fat than I guess you can but we're not going to change the family's diet." (Note: I had explicitly said I wanted a higher fat content in my diet, and had simply suggested I help shop/cook for a week and see how they like it)

As a highschool student hoping to have a part time before the end of January what should I buy for myself first?

Things they WILL buy:
    reduced meats (usually I go for the pork, best taste and texture despite one day of 'safe')
    fish oil (3 in the morning, 3 at night)
    liver (occasionally)
    fresh vegetables (some)
    canned tuna (maybe 4-6 cans a week. Not expecting o3 out of them, just protein)
    eggs (18 a week, and I'm not the only one using them)

Things people have suggested [will edit]:
    Coconut oil (Issabeau)
    Primal dairy (ObligateCarnivore)
    Kale, Bok Choy, Arugula, Chard, etc (ObligateCarnivore)
    Avocados (ObligateCarnivore)
    Macadamias (ObligateCarnivore)
    Quality meats (ObligateCarnivore) occasionally at most (dado)
    Grass-fed bones (ObligateCarnivore) If I can (dado)
    Mushrooming (sbhikes; primal4fifty)
    Last edited by somedaypaleo; 01-12-2012 at 08:44 AM.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    Im pretty new here myself... just wanted to commend you for all that you are researching and doing on your own! I know others more experienced than I will have great practical tips for you. I'm sorry to hear that your parents don't want to simply provide you with any basic, whole foodstuffs you require, especially if you are willing to cook them and committed to not being wasteful with them. Soon you will be in charge of your own life completely; until then do your best knowing it is probably 75% better than what your average teen peer is eating! Good luck, L

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    If your parents enjoy soups and sauces of many kind you could buy bones and make a stock...simmering them for about 12 hours.
    Bone broth is nourishing and it benefits the entire family, everyone I know loves soup. If your parents are a fairly modern bunch I would leave the liver alone.
    Stew is a good one too, everyone loves stew...and it's fairly cheap to make considering you can eat out of a large pot for about 4-5 days. When the stew is about done, put 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil in it for added fats and flavor...just don't let them know =P

Actually my mom loves liver.. so I plan on not telling her the nutrient value it has when I ask for it

I did make the Texas Primal Chili for them, seemed to go over well. I don't have Coconut oil right now (going to add it to the suggestion list though), would olive oil change the flavor noticeably?

labbygail is offline Senior Member
    Good for you, it's hard when you don't have full control over the menu...you might consider including safe starches (check out the Perfect Health Diet) because it will make your meals seem more "normal" to them--protein, vegetable, starch, and sauce over everything. Plus they're cheap and add calories.

By the way 10 fish oil capsules a day seems a bit much...when it comes to fish oil, more is not better. Just the right amount is better. I don't know the right amount because it depends on how big the capsules are, but you sound resourceful so I'm sure you can figure it out ;-).

Jett Airliner is offline Junior Member
    Yesssss. Your parents seem a bit more supportive than mine, similar situation. They generally provide meat, eggs and decent vegetables (more often than not bagged and frozen, better than nothing), plus we've got a fair amount of spices and always have milk (I've never had an adverse reaction, so I figure why not). I just have to provide sweet potatoes, olive oil, and anything outlandish. Seems you'll be the same off, more or less. Even my stubborn parents have started giving way and munching on fruit rather than donuts or whatever. Hit it hard!

For me the most important ingredients/staples have been:

--grass-fed meat, wild salmon, pastured eggs--> good protein sources
    --kale, arugula, bok choy, chard --> quality greens
    --garlic/onion-->to cook my greens and make my stock
    --bones from grass-fed animals --> to make my own stock for drinking straight or soups
    --raw macadamias, avocados, foraged mushrooms --> for snacks and a side dish
    --raw cheeses and heavy cream from pastured cows
    --super dark chocolate, berries, red wine--> for indulgence, but you are too young for that wine!! :-)

labbygail, I started taking that many after listening to the paleolithic solution podcast. In one of them Robb (or maybe it was the other guy) mentioned he takes a small handful every meal. They're the 1g capsules with .3g of actual EPA/DHA. Reason I try and avoid just eating rice on my own is I like it.. as in 2 cups raw that I used to down as lunch.

Jett Airliner, I bet most of my protein comes from milk.. I'm fairly certain I'm not reacting to it, but am stuck with 2% so it's mostly a carb fest. Oh and chocolate syrup doesn't help

ObligateCarnivore, what are the benefits of wild mushrooms compared to normal store bought? Oh and I'll try and remember about that wine

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    My friend... Lodon broil... it is cheap and lean (works welll with non pastured meat) and make great leftovers cold or hot.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by ObligateCarnivore View Post
    For me the most important ingredients/staples have been:

--grass-fed meat, wild salmon, pastured eggs--> good protein sources
    --kale, arugula, bok choy, chard --> quality greens
    --garlic/onion-->to cook my greens and make my stock
    --bones from grass-fed animals --> to make my own stock for drinking straight or soups
    --raw macadamias, avocados, foraged mushrooms --> for snacks and a side dish
    --raw cheeses and heavy cream from pastured cows
    --super dark chocolate, berries, red wine--> for indulgence, but you are too young for that wine!! :-)
    ^ This.

Except I skip the nuts and eat foraged greens as well as foraged mushrooms. I also eat pastured chicken.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast