Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the most important to buy? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    P.S. For me the benefit of the wild mushrooms is the fun of finding them. They are too expensive to purchase, so when I purchase mushrooms I just get the regular kind. I got a book that shows how to grow your own mushrooms. I would really like to try it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Why are you eating so much fish oil? Is it to offset any n6's in vegetable oil and fatty grain-fed meats? If coconut oil is too out there for your parents, you could always propose EV olive oil. Even CW marks this oil as extremely healthy.

And per your question about olive oil changing the taste of chili - probably not, since chili has so much of its own spices and meaty flavor that will effectively mask any oil you're using to cook it in.

dado Guest
    obligatecarnivore is steering you straight to hell and misery.

your original list is strong and comprehensive. do not stress about these fancy fancy things like grass-fed-pasture-raized-dolphin-safe-bison-tails.

don't go crazy with supplements.

gotta squat.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    But please be very careful foraging for wild mushrooms!!! If you seriously want to learn more -- and mushroom hunting is a wonderful outdoor activity as well as a way of supplementing your diet --find a local group to go out with and take whatever you gather on your own to a trusted certifier before you ingest anything. Can not emphasis this enough for a teen! Mushroom gathering is part of a long-standing cultural skill set that you must go slowly to learn and is best done under the guidance of wise local elders.

somedaypaleo is offline Member
    sakura_girl, I haven't yet really fallen in love with the taste of olive oil.. So while I do have it I'm still 'learning' the taste. And the fish oil is because my HS strength coach's CW diet said 4-6 a day, so why not go above? Way I see it I'm getting 3g of omega-3 (talking to them about getting a higher quality) meaning 7g of fat just for calories, right? I know that's not the best fats, but I'm fighting an uphill battle for a better o6 : o3. Probably should try and figure out what it actually is though.

dado, only thing I supplement is the fish oil and one multivitamin a day (the teen's health one). Do you think I could get cheap grass-fed bones? I'm not overly worried about getting nice meat, but figure why not leave it on the list as an occasional thing? Probably I'll just buy a ton of liver and chicken gizzards for myself. Only thing I'm scared about is what 'other' means when concerning ~70% the fat in simmered gizzards.

sbhikes/primal4fifty, mushrooming sounds pretty cool, essentially a long hike which I already do and enjoy (Bataan Memorial Death March - White Sands New Mexico - March 27, 2011), plus I come home with what I think is a crazy interesting and delicious fruit/vegetable/thing. Love the texture of the store bought, can't imagine what legit foraged ones must be like.
    Last edited by somedaypaleo; 01-11-2012 at 09:48 AM.

dado Guest
    go for the grass bones. go for it all. but consider the benefits and costs of going all out on pasture razed dolphin safe humanely nurtured chickens.

i'm in the best health of my life and i will live to be 100 and i do not throw money in the garbage on foods some documentary told me would save the world.

dado Guest
    i think if there were a chicken and the guy said "look, this chicken, i read it a bedtime story every night for three months", then there would be someone that would say, well it's worth 75$ a pound.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    If you live in a morel area, they make a great 'starter' mushroom as they are pretty easy to identify and so are their less palatable imitators. Golden chantrelles are pretty basic too. And yes, eating a wild mushroom is an amazing culinary experience. I have a picture of my two girls at about ages 4 and 10 respectively right off the PCT holding handfuls of their first found morels. We drove to town to have them certified by a dealer, then went straight home and cooked them in butter. They gobbled them up like anteaters in an anthill! Morels, wild huckleberries, wild salmon, and wild crab are some of my very favorite foods because of the happy associations around finding or catching and preparing them. And nothing can mimic those wild flavors!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yes, eat nothing you find that you cannot absolutely positively identify.

I have a mushrooming expert friend. I take photos of the mushrooms in the field exactly as I find them, then I dig them out and take pictures from all angles so that I can show him all the parts of the mushroom. Then I use a keyed mushroom index and do an identification using the key. Then I send him the pictures and my identification and explain the parts of the mushroom that I used to come to that identification. Then he tells me if I was right. Then, if it's a good mushroom for eating, I eat it. There are only two kinds that I have found that I will eat and fortunately both are easy to identify and also easy to identify their poisonous look-alikes and easy to demonstrate in a photograph why my mushroom is NOT the poisonous look-alike.

I also eat wild greens. Why pay $3 for a bunch of greens at the store when the wild ones are just as good? Wild greens are easier to identify and I'm pretty good at identifying plants. Some people do not have such abilities, so if you don't, you should stick to the grocery store. But if you are good at identifying plants, eating wild foraged foods is loads of fun. A really good book is Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by somedaypaleo View Post
    sakura_girl, I haven't yet really fallen in love with the taste of olive oil.. So while I do have it I'm still 'learning' the taste. And the fish oil is because my HS strength coach's CW diet said 4-6 a day, so why not go above? Way I see it I'm getting 3g of omega-3 (talking to them about getting a higher quality) meaning 7g of fat just for calories, right? I know that's not the best fats, but I'm fighting an uphill battle for a better o6 : o3. Probably should try and figure out what it actually is though.
    That is a really bad idea. Even SAD sometimes overrates the importance of n3's, and a skewed n3:n6 ratio in favor of n3's isn't going to do your body more good than the favoritism of n6's. Plus, unless your fish oil is super high quality, chances are you are just feeding your body a lot of oxidized PUFAs. I would highly suggest cutting back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast