Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are dates (as in the small brown fruit) primal-approved? page

pf3
    pf3 is offline Member

Are dates (as in the small brown fruit) primal-approved?

Primal Fuel
    Are dates (as in the small brown fruit) good for you? Looking at the Wikipedia article for them, it seems like they contain a lot of carbohydrates, which are a big no-no, right? There are also a lot of carbohydrates in bread, pasta, etc.

So, stay away from dates? Or is it more to it than that? (I certainly hope I can eat tons of them because I love them.)
    Last edited by pf3; 01-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.

waynebw is offline Member
    Dates are full of nutrients and taste amazing, that's true. They are also full of sugars. To me they are a treat that I would sometimes have and not worry about.

They are primal, but like all sweets, insulin fluctuations are not good, so I would not make them a staple.

In addition, if you are eating sufficient fats in your diet, desires for things like dates should go away. I used to eat 20 dates but now I don't really think about them.
    Last edited by waynebw; 01-10-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Dates are the snickers bars of the primal world. Super good, super sweet and best saved for the rare treat.

Peanut butter stuffed dates. The soft moist dates. Do it. Its crack candy.

goin2befit is offline Member
    I've never tried peanut butter dates, but I do put walnuts and almonds in them... Yum Yum!

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    yeah... i like the ones rolled in coconut... primal snickers: funny!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I love dates... used to eat them stuffed with cashew butter and now I eat them with almond butter. I bet they would be good with coconut butter, but it's so cold and my coconut butter is like a brick right now.

Yes, a rare treat... delicious!

AussieCaleņa is offline Junior Member
    dates help me keep primal, I always have some on hand, as if I'm tempted by cake or cookies, they hit the spot without me straying.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Dates are a prehistoric fruit so probably as primal as you can get. Medjools are the only hybrids, I think. Def for a treat though due to the high sugar content.

pf3
    pf3 is offline Member
    Thanks for the replies, but do you happen to have some additional, somewhat more concrete info?

For example, if I eat dates until my stomach is full, or if I eat bread until my stomach is full: Which is more fattening, or more dangerous, in some ways?
    Last edited by pf3; 01-10-2012 at 06:21 PM.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pf3 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, but do you happen to have some additional, somewhat more concrete info?

For example, if I eat dates until my stomach is full, or if I eat bread until my stomach is full: Which is more fattening, or more dangerous, in some ways?
    Well I'd go with both are fattening if eaten in excess, but the bread is definitely more dangerous, since it contains wheat, which will lead to inflammation faster. Not to mention the other additives commercially made bread contains. Yeesh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast