Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Reset - Fit, Forty, and FABULOUS! page 3

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Yeah, I think Bee is mostly right, but just mostly. I eat mostly anti-candida, after years of many rounds of antibiotics each year, but just recently the GI Effects test showed no evidence of candida, and indeed, my sugar cravings are almost gone - almost. No harm in continuing to eat very, very little fruit or nuts or starchy vegs, especially this time of year, so I am, but my spit test recovered very quickly after first getting most sugar out of my diet, even long beore I conquered the binge beast. So IDK. I do think that one month for each yearis probably true for the healing picture in general, but IDK about specifically candida. I just don't know!
    So do you think the spit test for candida actually works? Have you actually seen changes in it?
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Very definitely yes, I've seen changes. When I first did it a few years ago, mine was by far the worst, my two sugar-craving-est kids were next, then the next two, then my superh ealthy, naturally-low-carb-his-whole-life dh. He had nary a string or bubble even after ten minutes, while I had long, disgusting strings instantly (no waiting).

After a few months of being sugar-free, mine was dramatically improved. I haven't taken it in a long time to see an update.

I don't know if it actually measures candida or not, but there was most definitely a correlation in our family between sugar obsession and spit test results, and I most definitely saw a change. It wasn't just a coincidence on those particular days, either; I replicated the test several times and got stringy every time, then repeated it several times several months later and consistently got no strings.

OTOH, I never had thrush or a white tongue, and got yeast infections only after the last few rounds of antibiotics (after many over several years) when I forgot to take tons of yogurt each day during the round. Never got them again after that. So I don't totally know how much candida I had, systemic or otherwise.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

czev is offline Member

Week 2, Day 1

Wow! Week 2! Feels like I started a lifetime ago, and yet, it is going so quickly, too. I can't tell you how much having this journal keeps me on the wagon.

I've been debilitatingly exhausted. I look at my 5 year old son and I feel so bad that I can't play with him. I've been putting movies on for him while I take naps every day. Feels strange that I'm sleeping more than he is - I've been falling asleep soon after him and waking with him. Thank goodness I can be half asleep while working (as a sign language interpreter) or I'd be taking all kinds of time off work. This, after being flat on my back exhausted all Christmas break because of a bad cold, and then coconut oil die off. I had the first week of January back to my old self, and now I'm exhausted again. I miss playing with my boy and being productive!

I seriously considered giving all this up today...wondering if it's all quackery, and yet another snake oil claim to which I've fallen prey. On the other hand, I want to know whether this can help with my last few obstacles to optimal health. I just hope this is normal die off, and I'm not hurting my health.

The cravings are in full force, too. Visions of shortbread cookies dancing in my head. Ahhh.... And snacks...any kind of snacks!

Luckily, I love this food (after 20 years of being a vegetarian and hating vegetables!)...and I'm never hungry for more than an hour. Usually not hungry at all. Other than the fatigue and occasional cravings, I'm finding this incredibly easy to do. So, in the name of experimentation and ultimate health, I'm going to keep on keeping on.

Week 2, Day 1

- Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein? yes, 25 grams of pan-fried salmon, left over chicken leg.

- Breakfast w/i 30m of rising? yes, 6 30 to 7 am

- 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch? yes - 1 pm lunch. pickle, french onion soup with 2T ghee, large handful of blueberries.

- 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner? yes - 5 30 pm, beef brisket, avocado with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

- No snacking? check

- exposure to morning sun? yes

- darkening the house at sunset? yes

- 100% primal diet? yes

- <50g carb per day, anti-candida (no sweeteners, starches, or fruit)? some blueberries with ghee
    Last edited by czev; 01-17-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    biggest part of stomach, below belly button: (1.12.12) 33.5"
    biggest part around bottom and thighs: (1.12.12) 38.5"

czev is offline Member
    I did the vitamin C megadosing with some hives I had when starting GAPS. It seemed to really be the thing that helped. Although I recently read an article about how vitamins are almost all made in NJ and are inert and really don't do anything...how they need to be part of a whole food and work synergistically with other parts of the food, etc etc. I just looked for the link and can't find it, but will continue to look. I feel all confused about vitamins now. Perhaps it depends what kind of vitamin C.

Quote Originally Posted by czev View Post
    I did the vitamin C megadosing with some hives I had when starting GAPS. It seemed to really be the thing that helped. Although I recently read an article about how vitamins are almost all made in NJ and are inert and really don't do anything...how they need to be part of a whole food and work synergistically with other parts of the food, etc etc. I just looked for the link and can't find it, but will continue to look. I feel all confused about vitamins now. Perhaps it depends what kind of vitamin C.
    Yeah, it's confusing. I think we're better off trying to get all we can from food, but use some supplementation because most of our foods don't get enough soil nutrients. And when we take vitamins we need to take them with each other so they do partially work together. Vitamin E, for example, can cause prostate problems if taken alone ... so who knows what it does to women!

Btw, I read your GAPS diet journal and I love the idea of making Sunday this all-out cooking day so you're prepared for the week. Sounds like a must-try.
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

czev is offline Member
    grin...yes, it was nice to have one day be the crazy cooking day. I've since found a place here near San Francisco that makes GAPS food. It's pricey, but so is making all my own food from scratch, if I'm counting lost time for work and just plain exhaustion. I only cook eggs and bacon these days, for the most part! It's so nice to have my life back. Once I get my energy back, I'll start cooking more.

p.s.: after this leptin reset, I'm going to join Crossfit. Maybe we'll both be doing a pull-up together!

grin...yes, it was nice to have one day be the crazy cooking day. I've since found a place here near San Francisco that makes GAPS food. It's pricey, but so is making all my own food from scratch, if I'm counting lost time for work and just plain exhaustion. I only cook eggs and bacon these days, for the most part! It's so nice to have my life back. Once I get my energy back, I'll start cooking more.

p.s.: after this leptin reset, I'm going to join Crossfit. Maybe we'll both be doing a pull-up together!
    Dr. Kruse says he doesn't really recommend exercise during the leptin reset - is that what you're doing? I'm so eager to drop some weight I think I'm going to keep on exercising unless I see an obvious plateau. If it isn't really working, then maybe I'll fully dedicate myself to the idea of the leptin reset. I'm not a big fan of how much you have to eat at breakfast and not have an exercise routine at all.
    My Primal Journey

czev is offline Member

Week 2, Day 2

Oh my God. Day 9 of extreme exhaustion. My son is home sick and I'm the one flat on my back. So so so so tired after breakfast today. I lay down for an hour, but still feel tired to the bone. Feels like die-off. I'm getting plenty of sleep...

Eating makes me tired. It has for a very long time. It used to be that grains were the main culprit. Not die off, but just a shutting down. Thank goodness I'm off those. Now it seems that healing foods also put me to sleep. Especially broth.

Anyway...I'm tired of being tired. Though I was able to get to a point of appreciating the fatigue and the resting today. I mean, at least I'm not in pain!

The UTI pain was back last night. Good gracious! May have to go get some Vit C today, like MamaGrok suggested...

Week 2, Day 2

- Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein? yes, 25 grams of pan-fried salmon, three eggs, ground beef.

- 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch? yes, 1 30p pastured chicken soup with chard

- 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner? yes, 8 20p ground beef

- No snacking? a few spoonfuls of hot chocolate swiss miss mix in the staff room to help my medicine go down. oops! and macadamia nuts at 530p. i thought i was going to eat dinner then, but was so not hungry that i ended up holding off.

- 100% primal diet? yes

- <50g carb per day, anti-candida (no sweeteners, starches, or fruit)? except for the few spoonfuls of hot cocoa mix, yes
    Last edited by czev; 01-19-2012 at 08:09 AM.

kkcarlton is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Week 2! Feels like I started a lifetime ago, and yet, it is going so quickly, too. I can't tell you how much having this journal keeps me on the wagon.

I've been debilitatingly exhausted. I look at my 5 year old son and I feel so bad that I can't play with him. I've been putting movies on for him while I take naps every day. Feels strange that I'm sleeping more than he is - I've been falling asleep soon after him and waking with him. Thank goodness I can be half asleep while working (as a sign language interpreter) or I'd be taking all kinds of time off work. This, after being flat on my back exhausted all Christmas break because of a bad cold, and then coconut oil die off. I had the first week of January back to my old self, and now I'm exhausted again. I miss playing with my boy and being productive!

I seriously considered giving all this up today...wondering if it's all quackery, and yet another snake oil claim to which I've fallen prey. On the other hand, I want to know whether this can help with my last few obstacles to optimal health. I just hope this is normal die off, and I'm not hurting my health.

The cravings are in full force, too. Visions of shortbread cookies dancing in my head. Ahhh.... And snacks...any kind of snacks!

Luckily, I love this food (after 20 years of being a vegetarian and hating vegetables!)...and I'm never hungry for more than an hour. Usually not hungry at all. Other than the fatigue and occasional cravings, I'm finding this incredibly easy to do. So, in the name of experimentation and ultimate health, I'm going to keep on keeping on.

Week 2, Day 1

- Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein? yes, 25 grams of pan-fried salmon, left over chicken leg.

- 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch? yes - 1 pm lunch. pickle, french onion soup with 2T ghee, large handful of blueberries.

- 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner? yes - 5 30 pm, beef brisket, avocado with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

- No snacking? check

- 100% primal diet? yes

- <50g carb per day, anti-candida (no sweeteners, starches, or fruit)? some blueberries with ghee
    I think I need to start a journal to be strict with the snacking issue and I like the format you are using. I may do something similar if you don't mind.

czev is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm trying not to exercise. I'm trying to follow his diet to a T. I don't own a car, so I have to bicycle to get everywhere, but it's minimal. I am doing about 20 push ups a day because I'm a sign language interpreter and I develop terrible pain when I don't keep my upper body strong. That's it.

But, yes. It seems strange to eat so much protein and then not exercise at all. I read somewhere that unused protein turns to fat?? In any case, I'm keeping my lunch meals as tiny as possible, or skipping them altogether so that I do use up all that protein. ???

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast