Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kelp noodles, a good alternative ? page

Issabeau is offline Senior Member

Kelp noodles, a good alternative ?

Primal Fuel
    My husband won't stop ragging me about pizza and spaghetti. He has crohn's disease so everything wheat is out!
    I just ordered 10 packages of kelp noodles, are those okay to eat in moderation? It has a ton of iodine, no? Don't want to overdo it.

I don't know about the iodine content, but I imagine it's like anything else, don't go crazy on it and you'll be fine.

On another note, I love me some kelp noodles. Spaghetti squash just did not work for me and I missed the mouth feel of noodles. I ordered a box of twelve packages from Sea tangle. There is one weird thing about them, or at least the brand I use. Boiling water does not make them pliable, but anything acidic will. So if you're adding it to a tomato sauce, no problem. Otherwise just add some vinegar(or lime juice) to the boiling water.

Not that you actually need to boil them, they're edible right out of the package, but have a odd texture(to me). Not hard like pasta, but sort of crunchy(for lack of a better word)? I can't really describe it. But delicious nonetheless.
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    My husband won't stop ragging me about pizza and spaghetti. He has crohn's disease so everything wheat is out!
    I just ordered 10 packages of kelp noodles, are those okay to eat in moderation? It has a ton of iodine, no? Don't want to overdo it.
    You need all the iodine you can get from foods! The USA is suffering an epidemic of hypothryroid disease caused by an iodine deficiency. This is caused by bromide used in flour, city water treated with fluoride, and iodized salt not being used on packaged foods. Packaged foods are loaded with salt, but NOT iodized salt. The orientals eat up to 15 grams of iodine daily in their seafoods and Americans are getting less than 100 mcg.

Epidemic results in:
    Symptoms of hypothyroidism generally become more obvious as the condition worsens. Common symptoms include:

* Fatigue
    * Depression
    * Modest weight gain
    * Cold intolerance
    * Excessive sleepiness
    * Dry, coarse hair
    * Constipation
    * Dry skin
    * Muscle cramps
    * Increased cholesterol levels
    * Decreased concentration
    * Vague aches and pains
    * Swelling of the legs

As the disease becomes more severe, there may be puffiness around the eyes, a slowing of the heart rate, a drop in body temperature and heart failure. In its most profound form, severe hypothyroidism may lead to a life-threatening coma. This condition requires hospitalization and immediate treatment with thyroid hormones given by injection. If left untreated, hypothyroidism can lead to an enlarged heart, worsening heart failure and an accumulation of fluid around the lungs.

MANY thanks for bringing up the idea of Kelp Noodles. I just ordered Kelp supplement capsules and now I will also order the kelp noodles.

Where can I get the best price? They seem to be expensive. The best price I could find was $3.09 for a 12 oz pack at Iherb.com
    Note $5 discount code RIZ038

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-10-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    These previous threads might be of use..

WOOHOO I COULD EAT MEAT AGAIN!!! Kelp Noodles?? | Mark's ...
    Hey Groks & Grokettes, I was wondering what you guys thought about this product. I ordered a case last week and made some primal spaghetti ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread42409.html

Can someone school me on kelp "noodles"? | Mark's Daily Apple ...
    I didn't really see a thread dedicated to kelp here on mda. Google search yields a few commercial products that all seem to have additives. Is it.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15453.html

Kelp noodles, a good alternative ? | Mark's Daily Apple Health and ...
    My husband won't stop ragging me about pizza and spaghetti. He has crohn's disease so everything wheat is out! I just ordered 10 packages of kelp.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46106.html

"sea tangle" noodles | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum ...
    Are they dried noodles or do they come in a bag? I bought Sea Tangle kelp noodles, already in a bag. You just have to rinse them, and then ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread21293.html

Need Help With Noodles! | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness ...
    I went to Wegman's today and found 3 types of semi-Primal (maybe) noodles: kelp noodles, shirataki, and 0 calorie yam flour noodles. ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30669.html

Anyone ever tried these noodles? | Mark's Daily Apple Health and ...
    Chabbo is offline Junior Member. Join Date: Dec 2010; Location: Northeast; Posts: 9. I think kelp noodles are much better as a pasta substitute. ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread18485.html

Help! Kelp! | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page
    Hey everyone, I love love love kelp. So much that I impulsively bought these weird kelp noodles. They're totally primal, with net 0 carbs. I can't.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread20567.html
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I often use kelp noodles when the family is having spaghetti. I don't eat grain noodles, but I love the meaty sauce. The noodles come right out of the bag, rinsed, shaken of their excess water and thrown into a bowl . . . followed by a generous helping of sauce - then I dig in.

The acid from the tomatoes rapidly softens the noodles and makes them just like regular pasta. SO GOOD!

Ah sweet, thanks guys and gals.
    Looking forward to my package now

Grizz is offline Banned
    Issabeau,
    You are a SWEETHEART for bringing this subject up. We have been looking for something to replace wheat noodles for over 2 years, and this is IDEAL. Get our grain free noodles and a natural iodine supplement, too ! FANTASTIC kill 2 birds with one stone. I ordered a dozen packs from Iherb.

Grizz

I just ate the kelp noodles with my dish and OMFG...they are awesome!!!
    I'm so glad I bought 10 boxes of them
    And husband likes them, too, so that's really good.

And the minor crunchiness went away when the noodles were burried under my meat sauce. Dang i'm so happy, this opens up the possibility for new meals!

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I'm going to have to try these. Good luck trying to get my wife on board, though.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitswcorthChrist View Post
    I don't know about the iodine content
    The iodine really isn't a problem. People in many coastal areas eat kelp foods regularly, at least several times per week, with NO problems. Heck... I've eaten kelp several times a week here and there wit no issues... seaweed salad at the sushi bar, wakame in miso soup plus the kombu used to make the dashi for the miso soup = a double kelp whammy. NO problem... unless a person has a RARE specific diagnosed medical reason to avoid it, just like any other nutrient.
    Dr. Terry Wahls, who sent her progressive stage 2 MS into remission with a high veg Paleo diet, recommends kelp once a week!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast