Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kelp noodles, a good alternative ? page 3

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    I think these things look tasty and intriguing. From what I read they appear to be essentially a sea vegetable in noodle form so perfectly paleo. I see no harm in using them as a substitute in spaghetti and as long as the taste/texture factor is there. Spaghetti has been a hard one for me to give up as well and if this puts it back on the menu I'm all for it!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    I wonder how seaside hunter/gatherers felt about iodine excess? I guess eating real food, straight from nature sorted itself out by itself without intervention from nutritionalist advice.

My sincere apologies if that seems to be confrontational, since I genuinely do appreciate anyone who has something good to say. I am a firm believer in eating real, whole food and leaving nature to sort out the contradictions for me.
    I doubt they were eating seaweed (nature's richest source of iodine), on a daily basis. Seafood in general should serve as a good source of iodine, but in order to get into the levels that will likely cause harm, it kind of HAS to be from supplementing (which our ancestors didn't do), OR from too much seaweed (which they could conceivably have, but likely didn't, consume too much of).

Now, kelp noodles as a replacement for recovering pasta addicts being eaten several times a week? That's getting up to a level that I believe our seaside ancestors probably didn't even consider. They didn't have kelp noodles available to them as a convenient meal option on which to base an entire menu around. Their seaweed, if any, would have been as a garnish to the fish that they were likely consuming which was the focus of the meal, not the seaweed itself.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    love them but not the price
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    I wonder how seaside hunter/gatherers felt about iodine excess? I guess eating real food, straight from nature sorted itself out by itself without intervention from nutritionalist advice.

My sincere apologies if that seems to be confrontational, since I genuinely do appreciate anyone who has something good to say. I am a firm believer in eating real, whole food and leaving nature to sort out the contradictions for me.
    Its unlikely that there would ever be an issue with iodine excess since you would need to eat a ridiculous amount of sea weed to get there. Which probably wouldn't happen since most hunter gather cultures didn't tend to get most of their calories from as single vegetable type.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123