Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kelp noodles, a good alternative ? page 2

activia is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Does anyone know if whole foods or trader joes sells them? I'd like to give them a try.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Kelp is perfectly paleo - eat, enjoy!

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    I'm very excited to try these. I ordered some from Amazon - a little more expensive, but free two day shipping for me as I have Prime.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    My favorite dish my whole life used tobe meat sauce on spaghetti noodles, rice or potatoes.
    Since going primal I haven't made my favorite dish in 2 years!!! Because I don't eat those starchy staples anymore.
    These kelp noodles have 0.1 gr of Carbs!!!!!! (they have to be listed as a whole number on Carb so it's rounded up to 1%.
    Now I can enjoy my favorite dish with almost no carbs...how awesome is that?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Here is my BEST reference to be found on the subject of Iodine. This confirms what the Japanese get in Iodine from their seafoods.
    Bottom line, 15 mg iodine a day from seafoods is ideal for health, by Dr. Michael B. Schachter:
    Iodine

PS) I got these noodles from iHerb for only $3 per 16 oz package with free shipping. Far less expensive than Amazon.
    We have also tried them in our Turkey Stew. . . GREAT !

Issabeau, THANK YOU for starting this thread.
    Grizz

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Here is my BEST reference to be found on the subject of Iodine. This confirms what the Japanese get in Iodine from their seafoods.
    Bottom line, 15 mg iodine a day from seafoods is ideal for health, by Dr. Michael B. Schachter:
    Iodine

PS) I got these noodles from iHerb for only $3 per 16 oz package with free shipping. Far less expensive than Amazon.
    We have also tried them in our Turkey Stew. . . GREAT !

Issabeau, THANK YOU for starting this thread.
    Grizz
    THANK YOU for posting the link to get some info on Iodine, I had no idea.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    If they don't have any of the nasties that wheat noodles have, I'm more than willing to give these a go if I can find any. I did love pasta, but don't miss it that much. But if these work out then that's more variety for my diet.

BlueSky86 is offline Junior Member
    Hello, does anyone know how long do they keep for in the fridge once opened? Should they be kept in water? If so, should the water be changed out daily (like you would for tofu)? Any info would be great!

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    You definitely CAN get too much iodine. And that can be its own problem. Just like all things, moderation is in order here, even for the good things. Just don't make 'em every night and tell the man to simmer down about his "spaghetti" cravings. I mean really... I think that ordering "replacement foods" like kelp noodles for recreating non-primal faves is kind of missing the point. You can do it every once in a while, but if you do it regularly, you aren't really getting out there and trying the tons of new food experiences you could be having by eating this new diet.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I wonder how seaside hunter/gatherers felt about iodine excess? I guess eating real food, straight from nature sorted itself out by itself without intervention from nutritionalist advice.

My sincere apologies if that seems to be confrontational, since I genuinely do appreciate anyone who has something good to say. I am a firm believer in eating real, whole food and leaving nature to sort out the contradictions for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast