Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it true ALL cattle are grass-fed most of their lives? page 2

musajen is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Underground Wellness had a great interview with Joel Salatin earlier this year and one of the stats Joel threw out was that it only takes 14 days of corn feeding to flush all the CLA out of a grass-fed cows system.

I've also heard a stat claiming it only takes 30 days of corn feeding to undo a life-time of grass-feeding.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Grain-finishing also changes the gut environment in ways that allow bacteria like E. coli O157:H7 to thrive.

This isn't such a big deal with steaks, because the outside surfaces will be seared during cooking, and the bacteria aren't present within the muscle tissue. But ground beef is another story, because the outside surfaces are thoroughly mixed in before cooking. I like my burgers medium rare, so I stick with 100% grass-fed ground beef.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Pikaia, sorry to say that that "fact" about E. coli appears to be wrong. I think it was a recent SLATE article which delved into exactly what writer came up with that claim some ten years ago.

Very little difference, it turns out.

Sorry.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Thanks OTB. I remember reading Planck's piece in the late 90's, and then read the Russel and Diez-Gonzalez' paper mentioned in the Slate essay. It seemed compelling. But I haven't followed the topic since, and missed out on the controversy.

I'm not sure the idea is completely dead though, because I'm not convinced by the data presented in the Slate piece. (But I do like the stuff on anatomic location of colonization...that's intriguing!)

The 2000 Kansas State study the Slate author linked to only looks at prevalence of O157:H7 in pastured cows. The didn't also measure prevalence of O157:H7 in feedlot cattle. Why didn't they? In the abstract (anyone have the fulltext?) there's also no mention of the amount of bacterial shedding, though they do say that no cow had more than one positive sample. That suggests to me that level of shedding was probably low. But that's not terribly helpful either, because of the lack of a feedlot comparison group. (I get that grant funding is limited, and you can never do the study you really want to do, but the lack of control group in the study is annoying.)

And quite frankly, the 2003 University of Idaho study was misrepresented in the Slate piece. It is NOT about grass-fed cows. It is about taking feedlot cows and feeding them hay for some unspecified period of time prior to slaughter. It is a pretty big stretch to apply the conclusions of that study to completely grass-fed cows, don't you think? *shrug*

adamsaysyo is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I have learned a lot from reading this post - thanks everyone! I am new to MDA and just had my first grass-fed beef last night! Bought it at a farmer's market down the street earlier in the day - it was so different... and great! Had to comment!

Reading your posts... knowing what I know now... it makes staying on the Primal path so much easier! One week and counting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12