Page 37 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Ecks) page 37

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    oh and lex! I try to keep a good balance. The thing is that my family is very grain heavy folk and since filtering grain out of my diet I find that when I introduce a little back in I get some unfortunate *ahem* "Rainy Days". The thought of grain doesn't even pass me any more- casseroles, rice, bread, whatever that I used to scarf down at family things (and had no problem eating at our family Christmas) I wouldn't even think about. Part of it is that I don't crave it and for the most part it's lost its appeal -regardless of repercussions later on (or not) even being a factor. If it wasn't for my crazy aunts sitting next to me going "why aren't you eating" I probably could have not eaten. Not even the chicken that I was eating was overly appealing. The funny thing was that I was sitting next to my cousin who couldn't eat because he was fasting in the religious sense- Coptic fast limits you to eating vegan but even the rice in our family is made with chicken stock.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Oh, yeah, I can do that. Gonna go for that one:-) Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ecks View Post
    Not fatayer... But similar... I couldn't even find it online because I don't know how to spell it but I'll type out the instructions for makign it as long as you don't kill me!

You'll need phylo sheets, cooked and spiced ground beef, and turkey or chicken broth

On a clean cooking surface lay down 5 phylo sheets together, 2) brush with a heavy amount of broth (almost soaked but not to the point where it will rip when you go to roll it.), and 3) add a layer of ground beef. Add 2 sheets of phylo on top and repeat steps 2 and 3 for another 1-2 layers. Once you are done, start at one length of the phylo and roll in a spiral until you get to the other end. Wrap in tin foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes or so. You'll want to put it (in the foil) on a cookie sheet to bake it and pour water onto the pan itself ever 15-20 mins (make sure there is always water on the pan. At the end of the 45 minutes, open the foil and bake for another 15 minutes with the top exposed to the oven elements. Cut up in to 2 inch pieces and serve!

Below is the closest image I could find online to what the end product will look like. Just pretend that whatever is in that is replaced with ground beef

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Oh my word that looks yummy!!

Hey greta news about the bike riding!! I love my bike and I am happy to report I have only fallen off a handful of times, (much to the consternation of DH)hahahah.. You will so enjoy it!!

Thinking that in primal times, men generally would have been given the greater portion of the meats (like in many societies still today) because they had to go out and do the hunting or heavier stuff. Again, women would have eaten the lighter stuff.

Noticed that a whole can of coconut milk with juiced vegies was a bit much tonight. Half a can would probably be fine. Foods that make me feel good are generally the lighter ones, although there are certainly exceptions (phyllo dough:-)).

My dad's method of teaching me to ride a two wheeler when I was little was to have me get on and then push and let go. I learned quickly:-) My mom was horrified at his method!

Hey, ecks, do you think one could make chapatis with coconut flour. I got coconut flour awhile back and haven't tried it yet!!
    Last edited by lopisheep; 04-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.

I have tried and failed at breads of all sorts... I don't think I can- but I'd say give it a go if you're inclined. Remember that coconut flour does not work like other flour. Coconut flour only needs about 2tbsp to do the same as a cup of grain flour
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt

Food fr the day.

Breakfast - 2 chicken wings, 1 egg, 1 small pack of jerkey (25 grams), 3 strawberries, 3 slices of sugar/drug/nitrite free bacon (love that my butcher finally took the step of taking his nitrite/drug free and sugar/drug free bacons and making them 1 product!). 1 piece lindt 90. Regular supplements

Lunch- 6 Pieces of bacon, 10 pork rinds, 7 strawberries, 2 cadbury mini eggs

Dinner- 2 pieces of steak, BAS (with strawberries), 2 pieces of bacon, 3 pieces of camino 55

Seems that I was on a bit of a bacon/strawberry bender today... so good!

Exercise- Learning to ride a bike. (My ass hurts so much!)

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    With you on the sore bum from bikes! Those seats are made for skinny folks. When I used an exercise bike I used to put a cushion on the seat!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Ecks, I am curious. Did the aunts who kept asking you why you weren't eating pester your fasting-for-religious-reasons cousin in the same way? I have noticed that simply saying you are not hungry does not seem to be a legitimate reason not to eat in our society. Which is sad, and also puzzling. How did we ever get so divorced from responding to our bodies needs?

They didn't "pester" my cousin though someone did end up going upstairs to make him food even though he said he was fine. Coptic orthodox easter isn't until next week and his fam is pretty much the last section of our fam that are still coptic. Everyone else who was fasting was done this weekend.

On the side bar I'm having a "Slim" day today. I feel really good in my skin Still need to get an update photo goin...

Oh, yummy! It's in the oven. I made it with ground lamb (spiced with a few pine nuts, cardamon, garlic, onions, black pepper, Himalayan salt and a few fennel seeds) intersperced with a spinach layer and used chicken broth. It's smelling good. Put it in a baking pan so the broth wouldn't run over the edges (my cookie sheet doesn't have edges) and flipped a baking pan upside down for the top (don't have tin foil). I spooned a bit of whole fat yogurt in the top meat layer for extra flavor. Tried to go with what I had. I'm going to freeze the pieces I don't eat in one feel swoop and pull them out whenever I'm in the mood:-)

Are organic pine nuts 32.00 a pound in Ottawa? Wow!

Except for the phyllo in the recipe, it's pretty primal. Need some carbs as part of my individual gatherer lifestyle -- just found a patch of wild wheat and harvested it, smashed it between two stones and, lo and behold, phyllo:-):-):-)

Anyway, thank you so much. Your mom would probably have a fit at all the tweaks! I never can follow a recipe exactly. Not my nature. I had made yogurt of the milk from a nursing goat -- primal style! Just teasing. I was imagining a spinach patch and wild onions and garlic too!

It is amazing what sticks in one's mind. I just learned that "Hey, dude" doesn't work in Arabic. It means "Hey, worms." I know I'm going to get in trouble!!!

Well, you can mess up in Hebrew too. Their word that sounds like "dog" means "fish."

And in Spanish, a word that sounds like our "embarrassed" means "pregnant." I actually managed to pull the last one off with a very good friend who was a professor from Spain. I guess he figured out what I meant and didn't mean as I was talking about the Spanish Civil War. Talk about really embarrassed!

LATER: OK, ecks. That was heavenly heavenly heavenly. I had two pieces and forced myself to freeze the rest. Yum!
    Last edited by lopisheep; 04-10-2012 at 02:56 PM.