Page 158 of 174 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1736

Thread: Primal Journal (Ecks) page 158

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good decision!

Hey, I'll bet it will be easy to stay paleo/primal on a cruise ship. Probably lots of exercise options also.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

ecks is offline Senior Member
    It was a daily morning habit. This morning I put the scale away (didn't weigh after I posted yesterday) and I feel good. It'll come out again Nov 22n'd (2 year paleoversary). I'll likely show little weight loss over my one year last year but I'm ok with that because it's been a rough year.

On a completely different topic I'm suddenly wanting frogs legs, I haven't had them since I was a kid (and even then I ate them drenched in ketchup to win a 50$ bet with my mom). That being said I haven't had them again. I know they'd be extremely tough as a meat but I feel like frying them in white wine would tenderize the meat. Anyone have suggestions?
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like a good idea to have a separation from your scale! Sometimes they get too influential in how we feel and think about ourselves. I think you should go for it with the ship thing if nothing else turns up. Like you said - a full time job is awesome when you are struggling to make ends meet and it would certainly be an awesome experience! No moldy basement to live in or folks who get offended when you eat healthily - sounds good to me!

I can't offer any suggestions on the frog legs specifically - but, I have found with older chickens whose meat is far from tender, that the temperature you cook them at makes a huge difference. I found some stuff from a looooonng time ago that talks about cooking the older birds and maybe it would apply to the frogs legs too. I keep the temp just below a simmer - not sure what it is called The liquid never bubbles but it does move slightly, and then cook it for a long time. I bet if you marinaded the legs in white wine for a while and had that in the broth it would help too. Just my two cents ...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Trust me- the scenario where I can't find work and have to go off on a cruise ship and do what I love for 6 months has occurred to me that I've had worse problems... talk about your first world problems eh? Haha!

The whole frog's legs thing will hopefully happen this weekend. Damn if I'm not curious/excited. I think because I'm bbquing them I'll let them sit in onions and white wine over night to break down the meat then dip them in some frank's red hot and some balsamic for a sweet with heat combo before throwing it on the barbie... indirect low heat for 15 mins should do the trick me thinks! Sidebar- I decided I wanted them bbq'd. Mmm... and now I'm hungry!
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt

I need to aggregate tips for reapplying to a position. What do you say to get someone to call you back in when you've already pulled out most of your stops to begin with?

Made a trip to the asian grocery store on my own for the first time ever. We have a massive one in kitchener that my parents used to take me to a lot as a kid. God a ton of seaweed snacks (3 ingredients- sea weed, palm oil, and "flavouring". I figure 2 out of 3 ain't bad and I'm betting the last couldn't be too terrible), and some kim chi (which I had never had), and 2 plates of frog legs! Excited for all of it!

Tried the kim chi last night- I think it'd be really easy to make! It was delicious! Does anyone have experience making their own?

So the presentation could use some work and it needed more star anise but check it!

Frog legs poached in a balsamic butter sauce (balsamic, butter, garlic, peppercorns, salt, star anise) and finished in the BBQ. Served over onion and kim chi sautéed in butter. BBQ shrimp on the side. Sriratcha for some minor dippage.
    1394444_10153307155115117_81439394_n.jpg

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Beautiful! And how did they taste?
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Kimchi is not hard to make at all - I make my own version and it is absolutely delicious. I am always drooling in anticipation when I open the jar. I like the natural fermentation methods as it 'predigests' the ingredients and make them more available for absorption.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

@Sibhan They turned out soo delicious! Bit of sweet from the sauce, bit of smoky from the bbq. I could pass on the shrimp though. They were in my freezer for quite a bit and I think were a bit freezer bitten when I cooked them. May make frogs legs a cheap staple while I'm looking for work.

@Coll I want to start making my own stuff- I bought the kimchi in the photo and heated it through with butter and clarified white onion. Very happy with it! Sidebar and TMI- I've had kim chi twice this week and have been eating a lot of grapefruit- I had the BEST dump I've had in weeks! (possibly better then my last "the best"!) I'll just say- it was quite uhh... productive!

Was having crappy day this morning. Went to go do a call at one of the university colleges in the area (we're connected to a few christian colleges across the river) and ran into a friends mom. Ended up sitting with her for an hour for tea and just talking. Outstanding indeed!