Page 145 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1736

Thread: Primal Journal (Ecks) page 145

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This feels like an appropriate first post back. It'll take a few days to get into the swing of things so be patient... I'll post more photos as they pop up.

2013-07-14 18.23.18.jpg

Kwee anyone? Mmmm...

Wait... One more for the road...

2013-07-14 18.26.21.jpg
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Please tell me that's not some deep fried rat-looking thing... though it does look tasty!

Welcome back!!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

It's guinea pig! Roasted over a fire... no oil used on these bad boys!
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Well, I've eaten raccoon, rabbit, squirrel and possum in my life, I'm sure I would like Kwee on a stick!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

I put his head on the stick to a)chase the girls around as they were creeped out by it and b)to crisp up the skin a bit before going to town on it.

Candy in Wonderland is online now Senior Member
    Heu ecks, glad to see you're back . Ginea pig, Hmmm, would never have thought to eat that .
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back, ecks, I've been missing you! I was wondering if you were going to eat guinea pig down under! Guess I have the answer!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Hey there! Welcome back. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I have no idea how to share about ecuador except to say that it was an amazing experience. I can get uuber passionate about talking about ecuador out loud that just doesn't translate into text.

For me ecuador was a time of reflection with god- and a time to reflect how I share emotions. Believe it or not it takes a lot to trigger true and stirred emotions out of me. I spent a lot of time contemplating why and found myself breaking down walls quite a bit more than I normally would.

What I expected out of the missions experience and what actually happened are 2 very different things. What I expected was to go in on missions and be there for the people of Carmen Bajo. To serve in their community and help build them up- turns out that's only half of the story. When we got there it felt like it was the other way around. All the people of carmen bajo wanted to do was pour into us, love on us, share god with us, and feed us (and did they ever deliver! especially on the feeding us!). I think part of the strong welcome and their amazing hospitality is that my church (Creekside Church in waterloo) goes down regularly- as a church community we aim to send teams down twice a year and usually deliver.

Spending time around the kids (~150) was interesting. To be honest I had a hard time connecting with them. I think the issue is that I'm a large brown male with a beard. Brown males would be a source of pain and abuse within a lot of these children's lives. If they had fathers around they were likely abusive- otherwise a lot of families there have been abandoned by their fathers. The first day we arrived was just in time for the kindergarten graduation. A total of 3 father's in the room for 50ish kids and the rest were mothers. Sadden's me to see that there are very few male role models in the community. The rest of the week there were no male figures to be seen other than Pastor Fabian and the guys from the church construction site. Later on in the experience is when kids started coming up to me a bit. I really only made connections with 3 boys while I was there. Often just fascinated by stuff I had with me (my hydro backpack, glasses, and bandana seemed to be attraction enough for some kids to approach me)

Naturally because of my distance from the kids I opted to spend more time at the construction site. What an experience! Instead of construction though we were in the other camp- deconstruction/demolition. The deal is that right before the we arrived in ecuador the church had purchased the adjacent piece of land and has put in it's prospects that they would build up the land with a 3 story attachment to the church (one of them being a medical building). In order to make the attachment though they needed to destroy the children's Sunday school room. Tones of fun to be had as a team and a great opportunity to work with the locals on one project.

1005214_10153038857085646_1379127776_n.jpg

Of course though with the group that I was a part of it couldn't be all work and no play. Bucket rides on the CAT excavator were had! For the general group it was for fun. For a few of us that spent a lot of time at the construction site it was a means of transport between the the church and the giant ditch below. Either way it was great fun! I think the driver had just as much fun as we did! He'd pick us up in the bucket as high as he could then drop us down really quickly! Even when we were using it for work. As a team it was an experience that we all noted as being one of our faves!

1013935_10153039383110646_1031070751_n.jpg

Other than that the experience was a lot of bonding and growing together, getting involved with the communities around us, and seeing amazing parts of ecuador. At one point we got to mission to the church that Carmen Bajo church missions to. (hope that comes across as making sense). We went with the youth of Carmen Bajo church up to their project. I thought that would be a mission in itself but it turns out it was just a day playing with the kids. We played various games (including playing soccer on a MASSIVE field in the mountains... AMAZING!)

One way to show our appreciation to the ladies in the kitchen that fed us (and 150 kids) every day was by paying for them to join us up in the hot springs at Pichincha (the massive volcano in our area). I'd never done hot springs before but wow what an experience! And it was nice to take them up with us so that they could relax.

We also visited ecuador's basilica built specifically so that the pope would visit, the equator monument, a market in the mountains, and a place called El Refujito; a mountain retreat centre focused around escaping back to nature and God's untouched creation in order to refocus ourselves, rest up, and spend one on one time to talk to god without interruptions from noises, phones, agenda, or others from the group. It was a well needed time of rest and relaxation... but if course what would an adventure out in nature be without an Alpaca selfie?

What can I say about this experience besides the fact that it was amazing? It's not over. I may be home in canada again but already I feel god working in me here to be a better person and to share more about God with others. I'd like to go back again in the near future. Discover more about the community, god, and myself. For now though I'm happy sharing stories with others.

I want to finish this post off on a slightly sadder note. On Friday July 5th 2013 one of our team mates Brandon Nickel was in a massive car accident. After being airlifted to Hamilton General Hospital he was found to be brain dead and 24 hours later he passed away. Himself as well as his soon-to-be fiance Sam were a part of our team but unfortunately were unable to join us. They had scheduled saturday the 6th (the day of his death) as the day they would go out and purchase an engagement ring together. His fiance stayed back and did not join us on our experience but through the power of God she's been strong through the entire experience. If you could all pray for her that would be great!

These two were the perfect example of a couple joined with Christ.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Wow! What an experience just reading about it. You are changed, I can tell, and in a good way.

I am so sorry about your friend. It is strange to see that beautiful young couple and know that one is no longer with us. I pray that Sam will come through this difficult time and find happiness and purpose in life once again.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold