Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoes, running shoes page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Shoes, running shoes

Shop Now
    Hey,

About running shoes. It seems that we should aim for shoes with no "shock absorbers" whatsoever. Though aren't these shock absorbers useful in preventing injury? I mean.. If I'm running on pavement (side walks etc), It's quite a tough surface and the knees are under great pressure. Wouldn't shoes with no shock absorbers be a little less useful for that purpose?

I know that primal wise we should always aim for natural, meaning as close as we can get to barefoot. Though that probably applies for walking, wouldn't running be safer with shock absorbers?

Thanks.

badly_dubbed is offline Senior Member
    i prefer running in my VFF's, i have lightweight running shoes but I run better in the vibrams.

I forefoot strike much easier.
    "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

saarx1 is offline Senior Member
    u should aim for forefoot or midfoot strike first of all.. and its easier to do so with flat shoes or barefoot.. and the simpler your running shoes are (barefoot is best) the stronger ur legs get because they actually do what they suppose to do and are not supported by ur shoes.

of course the key is to lose the shoes and start very gradually, lets say 5 mins a day for a week or so, then 10 minutes a day.. this lets ur legs build up naturally.. if u will rush it its guarranteed that u will injure urself.

Well, I probably wouldn't be able to run barefoot (it's freakin' cold XD), but I'll see what I can do about flat shoes.

Thanks!

GrokinOut is offline Member
    I'm a HUGE proponent of running in minimalist shoes. I'm a "big ol' boy" with a lot of weight to lose and on a whim I entered a 5K that I ran on Thanksgiving day. If I hadn't made the switch from "normal" running shoes to minimal I wouldn't have been able to do it. Once I got used to the minimal shoes I noticed a huge difference in my stride (went from loping & heel pounding to a much softer, shorter stride) and my legs stopped hurting, back stopped hurting, and I've had no knee issues whatsoever...I definitely recommend it but if you go that route you really need to take some time to exercise your feet and gradually work up to an actual run in them...Otherwise you're in for a couple days of the most intense muscle soreness you've felt...Muscles you haven't really used your entire life screaming at you for waking them up cold turkey rather than a gradual buildup.

GrokinOut!!!

Starting weight: 498
    Starting BF%: 43%
    Current weight: 490
    Goal: 230 @ 10% BF (preferably less)

Follow my progress here:
    My Primal Journal...aka The Big One

jedikelly is offline Member
    if you can get off road on some trails also - Grok didn't have pavement

Quote Originally Posted by GrokinOut View Post
    I'm a HUGE proponent of running in minimalist shoes. I'm a "big ol' boy" with a lot of weight to lose and on a whim I entered a 5K that I ran on Thanksgiving day. If I hadn't made the switch from "normal" running shoes to minimal I wouldn't have been able to do it. Once I got used to the minimal shoes I noticed a huge difference in my stride (went from loping & heel pounding to a much softer, shorter stride) and my legs stopped hurting, back stopped hurting, and I've had no knee issues whatsoever...I definitely recommend it but if you go that route you really need to take some time to exercise your feet and gradually work up to an actual run in them...Otherwise you're in for a couple days of the most intense muscle soreness you've felt...Muscles you haven't really used your entire life screaming at you for waking them up cold turkey rather than a gradual buildup.
    Thanks! I appreciate the comment, I'm sure to start gradually after hearing this.

Quote Originally Posted by jedikelly View Post
    if you can get off road on some trails also - Grok didn't have pavement
    Point is, if Grok didn't have pavement, who knows if running bare-foot or close to barefoot on pavement is safe?
    I'm sure that it's safer on softer surfaces (after reading all the comments) but I'm still not sure about running on pavement.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    You can go to the forums at Runner's World or Running Ahead and get tons of info on this. Both have a section of the forum dedicated just to barefoot/minimal running. I'd strongly suggest that. As mentioned above, you need to go very slow, way slower than you even imagine, if you're going to go barefoot/VFF, and I'm not kidding. Met a guy this summer, very experienced runner, many fast marathons to his credit--decided to try a pair of VFFs and see what all the ruckus was about. Long story short, he wore them for a 5-miler, a 7-miler and a half marathon for his first 3 runs in them. During the half marathon, he broke his 2nd metatarsal and was in an inflatable boot until it healed and then looking at a long slow rehab....and he maintains he did nothing wrong, "I DID start out running just a little in them!"

Anyway, to repeat, check the barefoot/minimal forums at some running sites and also look up some barefoot/minimal sites. There's a lot of info out there.

Thanks for the advice!

malofquist is offline Junior Member
    we have a facebook group about this stuff called barefoot and minimalist runners. lot's of members sharing info and stuff(s)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast