Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shoes, running shoes page 4

PoseRunner is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    VFFs do not suit my Mortons Foot shape, I have worn Terra Plana's for the last year and Puma H streets for several years before that, I'm now wearing Merrel foot gloves.

jesou is offline Junior Member
    As for running on pavement with no shock absorption, your feet are the best shock absorbers in the world! with a little strengthening you can give em' hell and they will thank you for it!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Think of it this way: If I asked you to punch a brick wall bare-fisted, how hard would you hit it? probably not very hard, as you wouldn't want to hurt yourself or your hand. Now, I take you over to another wall that has thick padding and I ask you to punch it again. This time, you feel more confident that you won't hurt yourself, so you wind up and punch it as hard as you can.

This is what happens when you run in big, bulky, "protective" footwear. You feel a sense of safety and become careless with your form, you land on your heel because most of the padding is there and you land harder, much harder than you would if you were barefoot.

Your body will instinctively learn to walk/jog/run more effectively and safely, it will know that adjustments need to be made in order to protect itself. The harder the surface, the softer you'll land.

Go get yourself some water/swim shoes.
    This. All of this.

I get Speedo water shoes and rip the liners out of 'em. Kohl's has them on sale all the time plus their usual discounts, so $8-15 a pair, depending. Light as a feather, all knee issues, shin splints, gone. Feels great.

Baconoholic is offline Junior Member
    I would look into a barefoot shoe like a Merrill or Inov-8. Also, to where a shoe like this you're going to need to learn proper form. POSE method of running teaches you how to run correctly. However, it will take a while to strengthen your lower legs and such.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesou View Post
    As for running on pavement with no shock absorption, your feet are the best shock absorbers in the world! with a little strengthening you can give em' hell and they will thank you for it!
    You have to learn to run softly when you go barefoot or wear minimal shoes.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I get Speedo water shoes and rip the liners out of 'em. Kohl's has them on sale all the time plus their usual discounts, so $8-15 a pair, depending. Light as a feather, all knee issues, shin splints, gone. Feels great.
    Many times, though the problem with the cheaper water shoes is the bottoms wear fast and you have to replace them more often.

jwiv is offline Junior Member
    I made the switch from conventional shoes (Brooks Defyances) to a pair of huaraches from Xeroshoes about a year ago and I've never regretted it. You absolutely have to take your time adjusting to them and basically relearning how to run, but it is absolutely possible - I was able to complete a half-marathon in a pair this May.

C&Cberg is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryking View Post
    all i know is Nike Shox should be illegal!
    I played collegiate volleyball and my coach did ban those. More rolled,sprained and broken ankles happened because of those stupid shoes.

I've been researching the barefoot shoes myself. Going completely barefoot is a nice idea, but it gets into the upper 100's where I live and that doesn't feel bueno. I'm thinking about the Merrill's because they don't look as goofy as the vibrams.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I bought a pair of VFFs and found they made my feet ache very quickly when walking. I then bought some with a bit more protection underfoot which were far more comfortable so wore those until I became used to walking in them. I have spent most of my life in thick soled trainers so was quite a shock to the system!

I have been reading up about the Pose Technique and this makes running in VFF's so much easier.
    Before I 'went Paleo' I purchased a pair of MBTs and wonder if running in those using the Pose technique on pavements would be beneficial. ??
    Jury is still out on that one!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast