Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shoes, running shoes page 3

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    (I'm working - so to not spend too much time looking at a foreign screen I skipped the comments)

This is what I told one of my buddies at Muaythai that said "running barefoot will hurt your knees"

Think of it this way: If I asked you to punch a brick wall bare-fisted, how hard would you hit it? probably not very hard, as you wouldn't want to hurt yourself or your hand. Now, I take you over to another wall that has thick padding and I ask you to punch it again. This time, you feel more confident that you won't hurt yourself, so you wind up and punch it as hard as you can.

This is what happens when you run in big, bulky, "protective" footwear. You feel a sense of safety and become careless with your form, you land on your heel because most of the padding is there and you land harder, much harder than you would if you were barefoot.

Your body will instinctively learn to walk/jog/run more effectively and safely, it will know that adjustments need to be made in order to protect itself. The harder the surface, the softer you'll land.

Go get yourself some water/swim shoes.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend ZEM GEAR booties. I just got a pair and I'm obsessed. Everything I own as far as footwear is minimalist, and these take the cake. They feel much better than the VFFs I've tried, though in all fairness I do NOT own a pair of VFFs so I'm not sure how they feel after you break them in. Zem gear has a 'round toe' and 'split toe' version. I have the slit toe, love it! Also, half the price of VFFs.

Karen Grok is offline Junior Member
    RUNNING SHOES?? lol!

Why are we running in the first place? Chronic cardio is bad for your waistline as it is your knees. Stick to sprints around the back yard or the beach. Anything more than 100yards is a run and we are not designed to run ESPECIALLY not in foot coffins aka shoes.

I dont even use vibrams as they are a gimmick. The foot needs to be naked to work properly. I love the term 'barefoot shoe' lol!

jerryking is offline Junior Member
    all i know is Nike Shox should be illegal!
    Jerry King
    B.S. Exercise Science, C.S.C.S
    http://www.isuspension.net

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Grok View Post
    RUNNING SHOES?? lol!

Why are we running in the first place? Chronic cardio is bad for your waistline as it is your knees. Stick to sprints around the back yard or the beach. Anything more than 100yards is a run and we are not designed to run ESPECIALLY not in foot coffins aka shoes.

I dont even use vibrams as they are a gimmick. The foot needs to be naked to work properly. I love the term 'barefoot shoe' lol!
    This post sucks.

NOMnomNOM is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Grok View Post
    RUNNING SHOES?? lol!

it's probably best that you stay in your 100 yards so it gives me more free space to run all over the planet. I don't think human fingers were designed to type or eyes designed to read illuminated computer screens. who cares... have fun!

bobbybrown is offline Junior Member
    I like to think of it this way:

If you hike and wear big clunky hiking shoes, you miss the connection and feel of the ground. I find I am more likely to hurt myself hiking in the woods with heavy boots on as I can't feel the ground very well. If I step, I don't know if I have good traction, I can't tell if there is anything underfoot very well--I have to rely on my eyes, but when I hike in moccasins, I can feel the ground and can adjust my footing accordingly and I find I don't get injured. Same holds true for running, it's all about the feel for me; however, I hate running on concrete and most of the time I'll find a park with some grass or find a forest. Even running barefoot on concrete is better to me than running with shoes on. Just start running, don't think about it and your body will adjust itself to the new "style" of running.

EggsTyrone is offline Junior Member
    I have a new favorite:

the New Balance 730 (not the old model, the new one)

It has a minimal heel-toe drop (4mm) that I don't notice. It is very lightweight (7oz for size 9). There is just enough "cushion" without feeling like you are running on pillows. Very firm, actually. It certainly promotes a mid foot strike (I previously ran with an ugly heel strike).

No, I don't work for New Balance. I was waiting for the MR00, but the 730 fits my needs and is much cheaper ($69 at my local athletic store).

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    This post sucks.
    +1

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    I think it's interesting to hear so many people say grass is a more 'natural' surface for running than cement or asphalt... I find I've twisted my ankle more running barefoot on a ridiculously cushy mushy grass soccer field than running on a sidewalk. Plus you are more likely to step on a rock or twig or one of the legions of glass shards and hypodermic needles that are EVERYWHERE according to the anti-barefooters of the world. Anyway - Lush lawns and soccer fields are NOT natural - go up in the mountains or out in a plain somewhere and you'll see what I mean!

I love running barefoot, but I'm lazy and like to zone out, so I usually wear minimal shoes, and have for years. In fact my 'transition' shoe like Lynna mentioned was a pair of shiny silver custom made Nike Free's I got at an outlet store 7 years ago... guess whoever ordered 'em didn't like them. But because of those shoes (which I still have and are probably my favorite shoes ever - although not necessarily my favorite for running) I gently transitioned to proper form such that when I got a pair of Brooks I couldn't run without almost crippling pain in my knee because of the difference. Switched to some Merrel's and the pain went away. Switched recently to some New Balance Minimus' and so far they work great.

I really like what Christopher McDougall has on his website: "Ultimately, the debate isn’t about Bare Soles vs. Shoes. It’s about learning to run gently. Master that, and you can wear — or not wear — anything you please." (However it definitely seems easier and less painful to wear the more minimal options with the correct form!)
    Last edited by WarlordBlade; 02-19-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: clarified
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

PoseRunner is offline Junior Member
    If you wear "fat"running shoes and land on your heels then transitioning to barefoot is going to require some commitment like going Primal. Minimal shoes are only an aid. Good technique has to be learned, then your lower legs and feet need time to adjust.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast