Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoes, running shoes page 2

Bearfoot is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I wear hand made Huaraches, they have no aggressive sole and I go off road all the time!

Find a shoe that suits your foot, don't give into marketing everyones different.

As for running on pavement with no shock absorption, your feet are the best shock absorbers in the world! with a little strengthening you can give em' hell and they will thank you for it!

But remember if you haven't run for years or have worn shrouded shoes (any type of closed in jogger) for years, go slow and don't overexert. Listen to your body, stop, slow down, or walk if you have to. Pain lets us know when something isn't right.
    Eat Clean | Train Mean | Live Lean

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Minimal is a great idea...most modern shoes, until now, have been a bad idea. The proliferation of minimal and "barefoot" shoes shows clearly that shoe companies are getting the message that the shoes they have been making for the past 20+ years are horrible for you.

PhiPsiJB is offline Junior Member
    All of the other members have offered sound advice, but I'd like to add a couple extra bits of insight.

1) As others have said, make the transition to more minimal footwear gradually. In my experience it took me a little over a month to where I felt (literally) strong enough to run in more minimal shoes. If you switch from traditional running shoes to racing flats or Vibram Five Fingers you'll likely end up injured, discouraged, or both. With that in mind, I'd recommend starting with a pair of shoes that offers a heel-to-toe drop in between traditional running shoes and minimal footwear, such as the Asics Gel Hyper Speed 4.

Once you get used to such an "in-between" shoe you can transition to racing flats such as the Asics Piranha SP3, Inov-8 Road-X Lite 155, or Vibram Five Fingers - Bikila.

2) Ensure you do not heelstrike while wearing barefoot/minimal shoes. Simply put, it defeats the point of using such footwear and will only lead to injury.

3) Check out PoseTech for more information on forefoot running. There are other similar running techniques available but I have found Pose Running to be very helpful. The PoseTech website is full of helpful information and instructional videos, too.

Hope this helps...good luck!

The Scott is offline Member
    I am totally flat footed, how would this help or be good for someone like me? I have to do vast walking several times a year in dress shoes and usually by the end of the trip my shins are shot, and my (general area) of my arch is trashed and I will probably limp for a week. When I was in the Marines I had danner ft lewis boots and I could do 20-30 mile humps with combat load no problem. Same for running in boots, the danner has always treated me right but I have never found a shoe that has given me the same kind of relief.

I currently run in brooks with a very aggressive arch system

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I started out with Nike Frees as a transition shoe and now I wear Merrell Barefoot shoes 90% of the time. I have a pair of homemade huaraches, but I was having issues with the thong between the toes as I had dropped a knife on my foot (a small pairing knife hit point down) and injured the nerve that runs between my toes and it made it uncomfortable to wear them. I also tried the cheap water shoes you get at K-mart, but the soles wear out quickly and I can't wear them to work. Some people like to buy the Feiyue kung fu shoes. They are flat with no cushion and are reasonably priced.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Keep in mind big soft running shoes encourage a heal strike which really jars the body. When you run barfoot your stride will need to change to a midfoot strike which allows the foot to cushion your foot the way it was meant to. It may take some time for your feet to strengthen but your body will like you in the long run.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

GrokinOut is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scott View Post
    I am totally flat footed, how would this help or be good for someone like me? I have to do vast walking several times a year in dress shoes and usually by the end of the trip my shins are shot, and my (general area) of my arch is trashed and I will probably limp for a week. When I was in the Marines I had danner ft lewis boots and I could do 20-30 mile humps with combat load no problem. Same for running in boots, the danner has always treated me right but I have never found a shoe that has given me the same kind of relief.

I currently run in brooks with a very aggressive arch system

I started out completely flat footed as well. Before I began running in my Merrell's I spent weeks (maybe a month or more) doing foot exercises while winding down in the evening. While watching TV, reading, etc. I would work my way through foot exercises and actually noticed an increase in my arches after a couple weeks of doing this! Check out Mark's info on exercises and search for them online...They make a huge difference. Then once you've put some time in doing that start out slow with short walks or jogs to get used to them and focus on not heel striking when you jog. Be sure and give it time...You won't feel the worst of the muscle pain while you're doing it, it actually feels pretty good. But if you overdo it you'll have trouble getting around later the same day and the next, I'm speaking from experience...

GrokinOut!!!

Starting weight: 498
    Starting BF%: 43%
    Current weight: 490
    Goal: 230 @ 10% BF (preferably less)

Follow my progress here:
    My Primal Journal...aka The Big One

cline is offline Member
    By the time I'd finished my 3rd surgery on my ankle (and they did the knee that time too), I was firmly convinced barefoot was the best option for me. I regularly do yoga and am terribly unhappy in shoes, so it seemed a natural fit.

My surgeon didn't agree, but my PT did. I rehabbed completely either barefoot (at home) or in nike frees (at PT - "health reasons" required shoes most of the time). I ditched all my regular sneakers, including the running shoes doc said were "better for me" and the stupid orthotics that never worked (because the bone was broken! duh).

I'm 9 mos out now and only wear frees when I have to (scuzzy gym) and I wear merrell barefoot trail shoes walking 3mi to/from work on city streets. I LOVE them. My feet have never been happier. I also sneak in hours of shoelessness at work.

But the best part is my new trainer wants me working up to a bit of a light jog. I haven't been able to run at all in over 4 years and my surgeon said I'll never run again and to not even try. So, laced up my frees and gave it a try. My body naturally went to forefoot running. It kept the impact off the bone I'd broken and feels much better on the tendon I tore. My trainer gave me some tips and off I go. This would never work with regular shoes.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    If you run with the proper form, you don't need shock absorbers. However, running with the proper form takes dedication. There ain't no free lunch, but working at this will pay dividends...wearing "stability" and "motion control" shoes will only delay things, in my opinion. The poster who pointed you to Runners World is right...check out their forums, particularly "Barefoot Running" (it's also full of "minimalist shoe" folks, too...).

floridapiper is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am flat footed also - plus I have had a recent (6 months ago) metatarsal injury - so I am hesitant to run in minimalist shoes. I run with a mid foot strike in regular running shoes and an orthotic. I am afraid of re-injuring my foot with a minimalist shoe. Does anyone have any experience with metatarsal issues and minimalist shoes?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast