Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: falling off the wagon and weight loss page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

falling off the wagon and weight loss

Shop Now
    I eat 100% primal and have really slow weight loss, I don't care how fast I lose the weight, I'm just happy I'm losing it. What I'm confused about is I seem to lose weight a lot faster when I eat like crap. I steadily have lost 1/2 to 1 lb a week since starting and twice I've gone on a week long vacation and came home 4 lbs lighter. I practically broke every primal rule and lost more weight than when I stay 100%. I went from about 50-70g carbs to about 150+ grams of carbs. I felt like crap, so I'm not planning on eating this way again, but I can't help and wonder why this would happen?

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    well, that is what they say a cheat/meal day does. eat 100% for a few days then up your carbs and calories for a day and it makes you lose more weight faster. isn't that carb refeed? I don't know all the terms. I do this when I listen to my body. I eat well for 3 days then healthy (mostly) carb up, then healthy again etc.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    I've seen that term around here a few times, but I haven't had a lot of time lately to read any new threads.

bellajgw is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a huge fan of cheats myself but I do find that this happens almost every time. You work so hard for those small losses, turn up your nose at all the sweets, etc, and watch the scale stubbornly stick. Then suddenly you give in, have something carby and POOF, the scale moves downwards. Wha?

I think it has something to do with tricking the body. Most of those carby things are quite high in calories and sugar. Perhaps eating those again your body say "oh dear, here we go again, time to work harder because she's eating all that crap again!" and when you return to your primal ways your body is still working in overdrive. That's my hypothesis anyway.

It's that or your body just really loves to mess with your head.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think it's the carb refeed effect. Chocotobo has a really good description of it. Basically something like normally your carbs are pretty low so insulin and leptin also get really low. The extra carbs in a refeed jack up the insulin and when insulin gets jacked up, so does leptin. Then you go back to your regular lower-carb eating and the leptin jolt gives your system a nice kick toward weight loss. Something like that. I probably got it wrong. If you can find the thread in the search, he explains it in like his 2nd post in the thread. But I've noticed the same thing. I went to a party and ate some chocolate and some sushi and I was like what? I lost weight? And this weekend I purposefully tried a carb refeed and today the tape measure was a little below 30" for the first time.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

camel is offline Senior Member
    There's definitely something to varying your food intake and macros. Call it "feast and famine" or "carb refeeding" or "intermittant fasting" -- all these things are about changing up your eating once in a while. If you eat exactly the same calories and macros every day, seems like our bodies adapt and plateau. There's also something to having a low protein day once in a while, apparently allows your body to use up damaged proteins that are hanging around.

Here's a really interesting article about it: The Question Of Macronutrient Ratios | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

Sky
    Sky is offline Junior Member
    So can say if I were to eat Primal for few days and suddenly switch to normal diet for a day or 2 and then back primal again, I might lose weight faster?
    Any Other Primal Beings From Singapore?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    well, that is what they say a cheat/meal day does. eat 100% for a few days then up your carbs and calories for a day and it makes you lose more weight faster. isn't that carb refeed? I don't know all the terms. I do this when I listen to my body. I eat well for 3 days then healthy (mostly) carb up, then healthy again etc.
    My understanding is that refeeds only work for people that are LS, not overweight and with perfect hormonal status?
    Erin, you might be the sort of person who respond better to higher carbs? Have you tried upping your carbs slightly using only primal sources of carbs?

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    hmm yeh I don't know. I have PCOS/hypothyroid etc and It seems to work well when I add in some sweet potatoes and higher carb but probably still under 100 on those days. like 2 days a week or so. I am still experimenting.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    I found huge success in this in one fashion... eat primal 6 days a week... and then on on day (pick any day) do a big bowl of pasta or white rice with a slice or two of bread... work out / life immediately after and then go back to primal for 6 days.

it's definitely a carb refeed and i think it just shocks the body up a lot
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast