Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Kahiba page

kahiba is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - Kahiba

Primal Fuel
    I've been visiting MDA since July and thought it about time I put pen to paper, or in this case, fingers to the keyboard.

My weight loss journey started almost 40 years ago after the birth of my second son. I couldn't lose that pregnancy weight. The first attempts were with a Dr's prescription for dexamphetamines. They were in common usage back then. It wasn't successful of course, or it may have been in the short term but we all know the long term can be a different story. There were several attempts at WW, never quite getting to goal. Several other attempts at doing it by myself with calorie counting. Again only temporary fixes. Fast forward to Feb 2007. I joined an Australian online calorie counting and support group. Didn't actually do anything though for almost another year but by July 2008 I had reached my goal weight. I then seesawed up and down for a couple of years, during which time BP went up and I was on Crestor and then off it again because it affected my liver function. March 2010 reached goal weight again. Weight was ok for a few months but then I started gaining again. June 2011 I started to look for reasons why I kept doing this gain weight lose weight seesaw and July I found MDA. At last there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. This way of eating works so well and keeping my weight stable is almost effortless. Even Christmas wasnít a huge challenge. By contributing Primal foods to the dinner I had plenty of healthy food choices.

I think my story of weight loss and gain is fairly common amongst dieters. My goal now is to keep as fit as possible and I have been incorporating Markís fitness program into my life. My husband has been a rock through all the ups and down and has joined me totally. He is also seeing great benefits by cutting out grains and sugars. Arthritis in his hands was causing him quite a bit of pain and he had chronic indigestion. That has all gone now, he has lost 5kg which is all he needed to lose and he hasnít felt this good for years. We both try to spread the good word although we donít really need to as our friends and family can see for themselves the difference it has made.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Had a good day today. 6am went for a 6km walk . Took 63 minutes. Then home for breakfast before leaving for DH dentist appt. 1 hour drive away.
    Breakfast - cup of homemade vegetable soup, yoghurt with a fresh chopped nectarine.
    Lunch - Large salad with lettuce, spinach, carrot, capsicum, cucumber, cauliflower, tomato and avocado. Grated cheese over the top. Flaxseed bread with macadamia butter.
    Dinner - Sauce made with onion, tomato, garlic, tomato paste, chilli, bulked up with grated zucchini and carrot. Lightly pan fried beef liver in Ghee, cut it into bite size pieces and added to the sauce. Served over cauliflower rice.
    Other - Almond milk, chocolate banana popsicle, small piece of dark chocolate

Have stopped having milk in tea or coffee, now have almond milk
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Did exercises as per Mark's Ebook instead of a walk. Have decided to walk Monday, Wednesday, Friday, incorporating some
    jogging on 2 days. Most days we walk 8km taking about 85-86 minutes. Jogging is 30 second jog, 90 second walk. I can do 5 repeats now. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday are for LHT and resistance exercises. Sunday is our day off.

Thursday
    B - egg, cup of veg soup
    L - large salad with olive oil & lime dressing, sardines with chilli sauce. A peach
    D - steak with sweet potato, carrot, swede, green beans, cabbage
    Other - almond milk, yoghurt with a fresh nectarine.

Today, Friday

Started with 8km walk.

B - soup, 2 scrambled eggs
    L - salad with mince patties
    D - Tuna in onion, tomato, carrot, zucchini sauce served over cauliflower rice. Unsweetened yoghurt with a fresh nectarine
    Other - almond milk, coconut oil, olive oil for cooking, 2 pieces chocolate

I've been taking a magnesium supplement for 3 months to help reduce night leg cramps and it worked well. Ran out 2 days ago and last night (3am to be exact) I had the most excrutiating, leap out of bed, leg cramps in both calves. Wow!! did it hurt. Needless to say I made a trip into town to get magnesium so hope tonight is a lot better. I never realised just how much difference it made.

Another good day. Had breakfast then did weight and resistance training about 2 hours later. Remind myself to not eat first. Stomach can't handle it.

B - soup, steamed fish
    L - Tinned salmon and salad with lettuce, spinach, cucumber, capsicum, tomato, celery, beetroot, avocado. Olive oil & lime dressing. Apple
    D - Mince & beef heart stew with herbs and vegetables, served over cauliflower rice mashed with butter. Apple & cheese.
    Other - Almond milk, peach, chocolate ice block, a few almonds, 3 sm pieces dark chocolate.

Getting stronger. Can hold my own weight for around 15 seconds when attempting a pull-up, can almost do a pushup. Have progressed to a plank on my toes. Increased step-ups to 30 and sit-ups to 20. Squats 12.

Have been away babysitting 3 yr old grandson since Sunday. Stayed Primal and on track with portion control right up to late this afternoon. Then went completely overboard. Primal food but definitely not in the amounts I ate. I didn't have enough for breakfast and battled all day. I haven't done this binge stuff for months and months. Thought it was finally behind me. Oh well, a new day tomorrow.

Got right back to eating primal with no problems and no cravings. All good again and it feels so right too. Good clean food in amounts that satisfy. Missed our walks on Monday and Wednesday so will do extra tomorrow and Saturday.

B - Scrambled eggs on flax bread
    L - Beef tongue sauteed in coconut oil, with a large salad and olive oil for a dressing
    D - Roast chicken with roast vegetables
    Other - Almond milk, yoghurt and banana

Yay!! Our grass fed, hormone free, raw milk is available again. Friends hand milk their 2 cows and we couldn't get any milk while we waited for the cows to calve. Also found a small butcher only 15km away from us who does hormone free, grass fed beef. Have ordered a side but we won't get it for a couple of weeks as son and daughter-in-law are coming to visit for a week.

I now have 10 books that relate to Primal/Paleo lifestyle and cooking.
    Mark's Primal Blueprint, Mark's 21 Day total Body Transformation, Primal Blueprint Cook Book, Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals.
    Good Calories Bad Calories, Why We Get Fat, (Gary Taubes)
    The Paleo Diet, The Paleo Answer, (Loren Cordain)
    The Paleo Solution (Robb Wolf)
    Everyday Paleo (Sarah Fragoso)

Have started reading the lifestyle books for the second time (Not Good Calories Bad Calories as it is so big but have bookmarked passages of interest to go back to). So much information that helps to affirm our choice to go Primal/Paleo.

Will get blood test results next week and I have a Dexa scan appointment today. Am really nervous about blood test results. People on here seem to have such mixed results and I don't want my Dr to throw her hands up in horror. The reason I was put on Crestor was for high cholesterol and I sure don't want pressure to go back on it that's a certainty. Especially in light of what I have recently learnt about statins.

Dexa scan results a little disappointing with further bone loss evident in hips. I've also developed arthritis in the index finger of my dominant hand, making it painful to exert enough pressure to cut/chop hard things, like carrots, pumpkin skin, beets etc. Daughter-in-law recommended going dairy free and paying closer attention to acid/alkaline ratios to slow calcium loss. First day dairy free was yesterday. I can't drink tea without milk so that had to go. Coffee's ok but not my hot drink of choice. I will have to explore some herbal teas til I find one I like. Will be close to 95% Primal. My 1/4 strength coffee twice a day being the only non Primal thing, plus a bit of baking powder/soda in cooking. Are they Primal? Anyway they are used infrequently in small amounts so probably hardly count.
    Last edited by kahiba; 02-13-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: addition to post

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree re the small amounts of baking powder...

I wonder does someone make special knives to make chopping easier? Of course it's be nicer to get rid of the arthritis though.

Have you tried A4 milk, or milk kefir (no good for your tea but good for breakfast, it's a bit like a milder runnier yogurt)?

Edit: A2 milk
    Last edited by ljq309; 03-02-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast