Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interviewed a Previous Biggest Loser Contestant page

squeally dan is offline Member

Interviewed a Previous Biggest Loser Contestant

Primal Fuel
    Interviewed Kai Hibbard who almost won The Biggest Loser a few years ago. She talks about all the BS that goes on behind the scenes. Check it out and let me know what you think:

Hunting For Health: Hunting For health #12: Kai Hibbard (Biggest Loser)

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Thanks squeally dan, that was an interesting interview.

This article backs up a lot of what was said about the off camera occurrences, even though it was written by a paying customer of the biggest loser boot camp resort:
    My Week at the Biggest Loser Fat Camp - NYTimes.com
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

squeally dan is offline Member
    Thanks for listening! I'm glad more people are learning the truth about these type shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Thanks squeally dan, that was an interesting interview.

This article backs up a lot of what was said about the off camera occurrences, even though it was written by a paying customer of the biggest loser boot camp resort:
    My Week at the Biggest Loser Fat Camp - NYTimes.com

PrimalPam is offline Member
    I've always detested this show. They take super obese people who haven't moved off the couch or eaten a vegetable in decades, then force them into extreme physical exercises like hiking with very heavy loads and shove dry, tasteless Jenni-O turkey garbage at them. Then we wonder when they show up in the news, months later, having regained all their weight.

And the shenanigans that goes on, i.e. water-loading, etc., is pathetic. The way the trainers yell and scream at them to stay on their hamster-mills, even though these poor people are sweating profusely and literally can't walk one more step just sickens me.

Wonder what would happen if you took a group of people who was 50-100 lbs. overweight, brought them to a similar-type ranch, fed them a nice Paleo diet, and brought them slowly into light walking, lifting, etc., working up to a HIIT type of workout a few times of week outdoors, so they could get some sunshine (instead of all that time they spend in the gym).

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Hey - thanks for this tid bit of info. I always knew things were staged (I mean those weigh ins - come on) but will now tell people the truth about what goes on whenever the topic comes up. I used to be a big fan of this show, but now I fall asleep or forget it's on! This seems to be in the past year too - since being paleo/primal and losing >100lbs myself. Now I spend half the time I actual watch it (I am easily distracted away from most TV shows) yelling at the TV for whatever stupid crap they seem to be doing. Time for this show to go Bye-bye!
    Last edited by Mud Flinger; 01-13-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Hey - thanks for this tid bit of info. I always knew things were staged (I mean those weigh ins - come on) but will now tell people the truth about what goes on whenever the topic comes up. I used to be a big fan of this show, but now I fall asleep or forget it's on! This seems to be in the past year too - since being paleo/primal and losing >100lbs myself. Now I spend half the time I actual watch it (I am easily discrated away from most TV shows) yelling at the TV for whatever stupid crap they seem to be doing. Time for this show to go Bye-bye!
    Ditto

I can barely stand to watch TV anymore because every commercial irritates the hell out of me. Biggest loser is like a big commercial for CW health nuts... with tons of product spots put in and yelling. It used to be inspiring now its annoying and infurriating.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have never watched that show. It has always seemed like it would be a mean show, like a lot of those reality shows are, with people degrading others in front of the camera. Also, the idea that you have to work out so hard to lose weight is a really negative message to send to all those overweight people in the world. The message I got watching Gary Taubes lecture and from websites like this is so much more liberating and uplifting. Fat accumulation isn't a character flaw it's simply a hormonal problem. A hormonal problem with a simple fix.

I actually gave up exercise when I started this diet. I had read on either the PaNu or Protein Power blogs that studies showed that many people lost more weight by not exercising and that the weight lost was fat not muscle. So since I was having a hard time with exercising, I decided I would quit while in the initial weight loss phase. Oddly enough, it has worked. Of course, by quit I mean I quit the daily cardio and just did things I actually enjoy instead like hiking on the weekend or bird watching around the lagoon at work. I've recently added a 2x/week class that does various strength exercises. We'll see what that does, but it can't hurt (except of course for giving me sore muscles )
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I thought it was an enlightening interview.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

PrimalPam is offline Member
    I just listened to the interview (didn't have time when I posted earlier). Confirms what I said even further...that TBL is all about drama & TV production values.

Great interview; thanks for sharing!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    he message I got watching Gary Taubes lecture and from websites like this is so much more liberating and uplifting. Fat accumulation isn't a character flaw it's simply a hormonal problem. A hormonal problem with a simple fix.
    I have to disagree with you. I think the Gary Taubes and many countless others go tooo far on the hormonal problem vs character. I'm sorry but changing one diet takes will power no matter how you cut it. I think its BOTH... for some people its more one way then the other and it could be either one. For one, you cannot deny that there are plenty of people that have lost FAT on CW style diets and acheived amazing body compositions eating plenty of carbohydrates on a daily basis. For two, there are plenty of people that just can't get motivated or stick with anything.. there are plenty of people that have failed the primal way. But saying that its all the fault if the carbs seems like a way for people to avoid responsibility for their own actions or like its some kind of freakin magic answer and its not. It's possible to gain weight on a low carb diet...its overly simplified.

I'm ranting but I was almost turned off from low-carb anything at first because of the..oh its not your fault your fat its the carbs. It IS bullshit! It is partially my fault and I will take responsibility. People still have to CHANGE, this is not easy no matter how you look at it, no matter how "balanced" your hormones are, just look at all the threads about falling on/off the wagon, its more about what you eat you MUST change! There are plenty of times that I didnt give an F and ate a pint of ice cream everyday knowing that it was going to fat and spent plenty of time sitting on my a**. I also lost the same amount of weight on 3 different diets low fat, low carb, portion control you name it. It may have been less fat then primal but not anything noticeable.

The thing that did turn me on and keep me primal???? Is the HEALTH aspect. That is not magic that is real. Plus it makes SENSE that eating REAL natural foods would be better then anything manufactured, plus I feel better.. That's what all those weight watcher people are missing out on, for them its all about the weight! Also changing my mindset, I am not one that can moderate my intake of certain things..I will fall down that slope..slowly at first until I feel like a miserable failure and don't get an F. The rest of the lifestyle as well...really trying to live life to the fullest, and most natural I love!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast