Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agave - friend or foe? page

Maravilla Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Greetings! I became a member after about a year of following the blog because I am beginning to have questions that don't seem to be answered anywhere.

This one is about Agave nectar. I incorporated it in small quantities in place of sugar after seeing it in Mark and his wife's food journals and recipes. I read up on it and saw that it has a lower glycemic load than sugar while tasting sweeter. Awesome! I was so excited that I wrote a post for my gym's little blog: http://fahbg.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/introducing-agave-primal-ambrosia/

But now I am reading that it is highly processed, that all the fructose will lead to fat storage, and that basically it is the devil in a bottle. See CrossFit Invictus' post here: http://www.crossfitinvictus.com/blog/2010/02/wednesday-february-3-2010/

So what's the deal? CrossFit Invictus says to use honey if absolutely necessary. If so, why do Mark and Carrie use Agave?

I understand that ideally we would not add sweetener to anything, but sometimes we just need something to taste good - something that's not fruit.

So what's a primal sweettooth's best bet?

emmie is offline Senior Member

I've read bad things about it, too, and one item was from a person I respect who said you might as well be using sugar.

I have been entirely 'sweetener' free for about 6 or 7 months, and it's the best thing I ever did--no sugar, no artificial sweeteners at all.

My big 'treat' is a teaspoon of almond butter.

buffalo is offline Junior Member

It's definitely the devil. In sugar, fructose is worse than glucose, and agave has a higher concentration of fructose than any of the sugars. And then it gets marketed as a "healthy" sugar, even though it's worse.

Too be fair, it does have a lower glycemic index, so lots of people recommending agave have believed it to be healthier, but fructose messes up your liver and your insulin sensitivity.

There was a study recently which showed weight gain linked to consumption carbs. One group used glucose and the other used glucose/fructose. Only in the fructose group, was there the stimulation of new fat cells to be created around the vital organs.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article6954603.ece

"Over 10 weeks, 16 volunteers on a strictly controlled diet, including high levels of fructose, produced new fat cells around their heart, liver and other digestive organs. They also showed signs of food-processing abnormalities linked to diabetes and heart disease. Another group of volunteers on the same diet, but with glucose sugar replacing fructose, did not have these problems.

People in both groups put on a similar amount of weight. However, researchers at the University of California who conducted the trial, said the levels of weight gain among the fructose consumers would be greater over the long term.

Fructose bypasses the digestive process that breaks down other forms of sugar. It arrives intact in the liver where it causes a variety of abnormal reactions, including the disruption of mechanisms that instruct the body whether to burn or store fat."

Dr. Robert Lustig's talk on YouTube, "Sugar: The Bitter Truth", details the metabolism of fructose versus glucose. Fructose is converted into fat by the liver, and basically creates those "small, dense LDLs" thought to cause heart disease. Fructose is treated by the liver almost identically to ethanol, so consuming 15 grams of agave nectar (a few teaspoons) is as hard on the body as drinking one beer. The only major difference between fructose and ethanol is that the brain is unable to recognize fructose at all, while ethanol has quite an effect. So, fructose is, "alcohol without the buzz".

buffalo is offline Junior Member

Also, the best bet for a primal sweet toother, is to give up sugar and let the taste buds reset themselves. However, sugar can be terribly addictive, and some people need additional help to normalize their brain chemistry to break this addictive cycle. The book, "The Mood Cure" (http://www.moodcure.com/), details natural ways to normalize your mood and break these cravings if going cold turkey is simply too hard.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

@buffalo

Absolutely. Natural food tastes so much better after giving up sugar.

It may be tough to give up, but you are doing yourself no favors by adding sweeteners of any kind except for fruit itself, and that includes things like stevia. Doesn't matter how stevia or maltitol or whatever affects your hormones; as long as you're a slave to sweet, the real bad stuff like donuts and ice cream will continue to tempt you.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Do a search on the forum. Addressed numerous times. Agave nectar is made the same way HFCS is, end result is it's fructose.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Do a search on the forum. Addressed numerous times. Agave nectar is made the same way HFCS is, end result is it's fructose.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I endorse stevia, xyltol and cinnamon. Actually I endorse cinnamon quite heavily as it has been shown to reduce the glycemic index of carbohydrates it has been eaten with, less insulin!

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

John R Guest

Agave nectar can be over 90% fructose. I endorse a belief that sweets are for kids and eating unsweetened stuff instead.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

John R, my kids completely agree with you.

When I want something sweet? I'll eat 70% or 85% chocolate. That's got sucrose in it, so I'm not totally opposed to refined sweeteners. But if I'm baking something to take to a gathering, like a pumpkin pie for Turkey Day, I use honey. And I'm stingy with the honey too, so usually no one but me and my kids eat any of it. More for me, yay! ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast