Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lying about gluten intolerance page

damnit is offline Junior Member

Lying about gluten intolerance

Primal Fuel
    I've got a few work events coming up and they are catered for. Normally I drool over free food but I've been trying to avoid breads and grains after going Primal (you know the story).

Unfortunately the most common catering is sandwiches and various sweets. If it's a well organised even you get to register before hand and submit any special dietary requirements you may need. Would it be wrong to write down 'gluten intolerance' to mine to get some non-grain meal options? The only thing I might get caught with is beer if they have some, but I can drink my bottle discreetly if I decide to have one.

I'm tempted to telling that to my family to, but I think they'll catch on.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that'd be wrong. Many experts (like Mark, Robb, etc) who know the deal behind gluten would probably argue that everyone is gluten intolerant, most people just don't know it. If you take that stance then you're not fibbing at all.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    How do you know you're not gluten intolerant? I didn't know until after I fasted and cleared my system~ I don't think it's a lie if you just want some 'basic' food~ otherwise, do what I do with sandwiches~ take twice as many and toss the bread~

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    I'd do it. I say it at restaurants too, if something *should* be GF, but I just want to make sure.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnit View Post
    I've got a few work events coming up and they are catered for. Normally I drool over free food but I've been trying to avoid breads and grains after going Primal (you know the story).

Unfortunately the most common catering is sandwiches and various sweets. If it's a well organised even you get to register before hand and submit any special dietary requirements you may need. Would it be wrong to write down 'gluten intolerance' to mine to get some non-grain meal options? The only thing I might get caught with is beer if they have some, but I can drink my bottle discreetly if I decide to have one.

I'm tempted to telling that to my family to, but I think they'll catch on.
    Well, you can be philosophically intolerant to gluten, right? I am intolerant of racists, mean people, gluten, hypocrites, etc.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    can't just request 'gluten-free' ? either way you put it, the fib or whatever, just do it. it'll be alright
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    Only problem you can run into is when they substitute corn for wheat - i.e. tortillas. I've seen that sort of thing happen often.

Back in the day I knew people who would claim kosher for meals on flights, thinking they would get healthier/fresher/less mass produced food. That was back when they served meals on airplanes....
    Last edited by VeloCity.X; 01-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

nuttmegs17 is offline Senior Member
    I say go for it!

I work in an industry with a lot of events and I'm celiac - many of my co-workers, after seeing really nice dishes come out for me, want to put "gluten free" for themselves...sure beats their mystery meat covered in flour-laden sauce with questionable sides...typically this means more "whole foods" type meals on my plate: as in, I can identify everything on it - totally worth it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Please don't say gluten intolerant and then have a beer, though. It just messes things up for those of us with celiac disease who are either not believed because a lot of people are claiming intolerance and then eating *some* foods with gluten or who end up with people thinking it's okay to serve us a beer because there's no gluten in it ("My buddy Joe with gluten intolerance drinks it!"). Loads of people are gluten intolerant, and I'm not bothered by you saying that, but please then stick to your story, okay?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Elated pig is offline Junior Member
    The only thing better than a free meal is lying about it to get a better one. Do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast