Thread: Chris Powell and new "Miracle" Metabolism Diet", carb cycling? page

GabyYYZ is offline Junior Member

Chris Powell and new "Miracle" Metabolism Diet", carb cycling?

Shop Now
    Okay, normally, I wouldn't give this a second thought, but this is a new "diet" from Chris Powell. While he's in the grain camp, he has some interesting points and may be primal/paleo friendly. While he still advocates eating grains/legumes, he does acknowledge at one point that the environment and food has changed in the last 5000 years. But his fix isn't quite in adhering with such an ancestral approach.

Basically, he advocates alternating high carb with high fat days in order to boost metabolism, along with resistance exercise. Every day, have protein + veggies + either carbs or fat, every three hours.

This sounds gimmicky. But you can't fight this guy's creds, he brought some really large people down in size via Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition (granted, the subjects are in a specialized fat camp, he's in their face 24 hours at some points).

If the carb cycling (with one cheat/normal day a week) is not gimmicky, can it be made more primal so that on the high carb days, you eat more tubers, maybe some white rice or dairy, instead of the whole grains/legumes he recommends?

Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by GabyYYZ; 01-09-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Lawbat is offline Senior Member
    heard him give a radio interview
    it felt like listening to the love child of berkhan, sisson, and ferris.

hard to go wrong there, no?

LOL...His heart is in the right place, I guess, I think he is sincere. It seems to support what I see that recent diets seem to be using the whole evolutionary concept of eating as their "base". As scientific consensus builds and more studies are released, a new wave of fad diets that dress up paleo/primal for sales purposes will begin to emerge, just watch. I think another guy, Jorge Cruise has something as well, sounds so close to Mark's carbohydrate curve recommendations, limiting carbs to no more than 120g a day (my mom follows this plan, she's had success with it). Hmmmm....

Don't know why people make it all complicated: Animal Flesh + Fat + Veggies (+ some fruit if not losing weight) = A big step towards optimal health
    Last edited by GabyYYZ; 01-10-2012 at 04:56 PM.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm currently doing a primal/paleo carb cycling, and I'm really pleased with how it's going.

6 days of the week, I eat lots of meat/fatty fish-salmon, sardines/eggs/coconut oil/cod liver oil with lots of veggies and fruit (my daily carbs are around 100 grams).

Then 1 day a week, I eat about 350-400 grams of carbs from white rice, sweet potatoes, fruit, honey, molasses, and lots of lean protein (white fish, chicken/turkey breast) very low fat - under 20 grams. This is my most intense day at the gym, when I'm seriously unstoppable.

I've been doing this for the past month, and I can see that it's having some really positive effects.

otzi Guest
    You guys are describing the Anabolic Diet that has been popular with body builders and weight lifters for years:
    Anabolic Diet 101: The Definite Anabolic Diet Guide | StrongLifts.com
    How to Get Started on The Anabolic Diet. Use FitDay to track your daily caloric and macronutrients intake. Anabolic Diet rules:

Determine Caloric Needs. Rule of thumb is your BW x 18kcal, but the Cunningham Equation is more accurate. Read this post.
    12 Days No Carbs. Eat proteins & fats only for 12 days. This forces your body to use fat for energy. After these 12 days, eat carbs for 2 days on. Then alternate 5 days no carbs and 2 days carbs.
    No Carbs Days. 40% protein, 60% fat, 25g carbs max. The carbs should come from foods like veggies, eggs, meat, ... No oats or rice or milk.
    Carbs Days. 15% protein, 25% fat, 60% carbs. So 60% of your calories should come from carbs. These will fill your carb stores.
    It takes about 4 weeks to adapt to the Anabolic Diet. Expect stomach issues, moodiness, tiredness, ... Don't give up. All of this will go away if you stick with the Anabolic Diet.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Or you will start fainting at the end of 2 month, as I did both times I tried AD. On the other hand more flexible Ultimate Diet 2.0 which comes in combo with exercise routine did wonders for me. I am going to do second cycle of U.D 2.0 while keeping my personal eliminations in February; I can't decide yet if I am going to allow white rice or just use white potatoes. Other than that, my "because you are middle-aged woman, silly" interdict on grains, legumes, dairy, sugar, coffee, art. sweetener, fruit and nuts (well, alcohol too, but I never drunk it anyway). As far as I am concerned, carb cycling the right way is AMAZING!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    It's weird.

But since going primal, the idea of eating every 3 hours literally turns my stomach.

Cinnamonbite is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GabyYYZ View Post
    But you can't fight this guy's creds
    Sure I can. I eat that crap and I get sick. Violently explody sick. Therefore, his point is moot. The end.
    Cinnamonbite
    ------
    My List of Illegal Foods

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    There is no reason that carb cycling implies you should eat grains or processed foods. You can easily get the benefits of carb cycling by sticking to root vegetables and starchy fruits and still keep away from neolithic foods.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I'm currently doing a primal/paleo carb cycling, and I'm really pleased with how it's going.

6 days of the week, I eat lots of meat/fatty fish-salmon, sardines/eggs/coconut oil/cod liver oil with lots of veggies and fruit (my daily carbs are around 100 grams).

Then 1 day a week, I eat about 350-400 grams of carbs from white rice, sweet potatoes, fruit, honey, molasses, and lots of lean protein (white fish, chicken/turkey breast) very low fat - under 20 grams. This is my most intense day at the gym, when I'm seriously unstoppable.

I've been doing this for the past month, and I can see that it's having some really positive effects.
    Thanks for the tips...on one intense day, I'll gradually ramp up the sweet potatoes or rice. This looks quite doable, on paper.