Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing towards 40 page

eron is offline Junior Member

Growing towards 40

Primal Fuel
    Day 8 Primal

Last Monday I did something spontaneous. I emailed the worst picture of myself to Mark. The picture I pretend doesn't exist. The picture anyone can now see if they visit the Success in the Making Pages. What happened? I think I got carried away with the New Year challenge and my day off of work! Or, I felt a hope blooming with the new year and the possibility of lifetime change.

I have been visiting this site for about a year ever since my father sent me an article from MDA. I purchased the PB this summer. But not until last Monday did I make the leap to primal eating.

I have tried losing weight many times. I even was successful in 2008 when I exercised 6 days a week and did nothing else. But that weight came back....and then some.

Here's a little about me: I am a happily married mom of two boys, ages 10 and 12. My husband and I adopted two greyhounds boys, one who raced briefly and one from Ohio who is a "lurcher." I work full time as a legal assistant for a small but busy firm. I love to read and learn new things.

I have not yet learned how to blog, so go easy on me! This, like my body, is a work in progress.

Now on to the fun stuff. My primal experience thus far.

Foods - I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, a salad with chicken, cranberries and almond shavings for lunch and dinner involves sauteed spinach, zucchini, broccoli and whatever meat I have fixed. Fruits are blueberries, cranberries, raspberries and a banana for cooking. Nuts are almonds and walnuts for recipes and almonds for snacks.

Headaches - they only lasted 3 days - yeah!!!

Energy - I woke up on the 4th day feeling like I had already had a cup of coffee. Without intention, I now drink less than a cup of coffee in the morning. It has slowly decreased with each passing day.

I am maintaining a grain free, legume free, dairy free diet to the best of my knowledge. I am therefore also learning how to cook, as I haven't ever enjoyed this. My oven is confused as before now I had never used the Broiled feature! I am making it earn its keep now! This weekend I made Berry Crumble and Berry balls from the BP Recipe book and I was so proud I took pictures!.

My appetite is decreasing and I am not sure who, but a senior member on this site has "eat when you are hungry" on his tagline and I keep thinking about that. Listening to my body is new for me, as before I was ALWAYS hungry.

Also had zero cramps during my "monthly visit" and I am wondering about the connection.

I have not exercised yet. I just need to "put my shoes on" like Mark has said, but I am afraid I will go overboard, like I have in the past and sabotage my progress.

Hi to all! You have now seen me in my bathing suit so I feel like I already know you
    Last edited by eron; 01-09-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Oh - Weight is down to 203.something as of today. I am going to have my husband hide the scale for me so I won't keep going to it.

Day 9
    Breakfast: 3 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon.
    Lunch: Salad (mix of romaine, iceberg and spinach, 3 pieces of bacon, grilled chicken, sliced almonds, small bit of dried cranberries.
    Snack: Coconut ball I made this weekend.

My scale has been hidden until February 1st so no checking in. It feels a bit lonely, but at least at home I make up some of the time I used to spend eating COOKING my meals. I am also reading all the information I can get my hands on. Any suggestions?

Day 10

I woke up at 5:30 with my oldest son and did a brisk walk on the treadmill with a 2.0 incline. Towards the end I set it at 6.8 and ran like I was being chased by a prehistoric monster spider! I then did some squats and curls and presses. My goal is to get some beginner's WOD's and do those at home. I can't afford a Crossfit membership but do have one at the Y so I will need to adapt my workouts there. Anyone else have their own crossfit routine they do at their "regular" gym?

I found the best dressing for my salad I take to work everyday....bacon grease. At work I also heat my salad up in the microwave for about a minute and it is much tastier. I had to take a toothbrush to work because EVERYTHING sticks in between my teeth!

I ate 1/2 an avocado for the first time last night in my steak stirfry. I just put it in with my spinach, zucchini, broccoli, tomato and steak mixture. I thought I hated them, but they aren't bad! I used extra virgin olive oil to cook and garlic to season....lots of garlic. My husband probably can't stand to be near me because minced garlic is my go-to seasoning now.

I need to make more berry crumble this weekend. And the coconut balls. I live across the river from a larger city and they have a Trader Joe's. My local Kroger didn't have a few items I need for my pantry:
    coconut oil
    coconut milk
    macadamia nuts
    almond flour

There are a lot of websites with recipes that I keep finding. I just found a website for a Paleo Mocha Frapp! Just need the coconut milk and a few other ingredients before I can try that.

I'm also reading The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. I am not a science person, but so far he is making it bearable to read. The humor is also appreciated!

My appetite is STILL decreasing. Other than yesterday, when I wanted to eat to celebrate at work, it is on a steady decline. I put a sandwich bag with almonds in my purse for emergencies and today I didn't even want any.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eron View Post
    Anyone else have their own crossfit routine they do at their "regular" gym?
    I have a list of 14 WODs that I do either at home or at my Anytime Fitness - It's an excel file I can send you if you like - it's not letting me upload it from my computer? weird

pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eron View Post
    Day 10

My appetite is STILL decreasing. Other than yesterday, when I wanted to eat to celebrate at work, it is on a steady decline. I put a sandwich bag with almonds in my purse for emergencies and today I didn't even want any.

Hey eron- doing great so far! You'll notice your appetite reset more to where it should be. I used to dread fasting for 12 hours, now I can go 24 hours + with my IF's and I IF about 4-5 days out of the week.

Keep the progress goin!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by pbj View Post
    I have a list of 14 WODs that I do either at home or at my Anytime Fitness - It's an excel file I can send you if you like - it's not letting me upload it from my computer? weird

pbj
    A spreadsheet would be great! Thanks!
    My Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46034.html

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work. Aristotle

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Dear eron;

I just got "Primal Body Primal Mind" which was updated last year--first publication 2009.

I really am "getting" how primal eating works with hormones much better through this book.
    I suggest it highly.

Congrats so far and good luck on your journey!

DAY 11 PRIMAL

Thanks so much for the replies! I ordered a sample of Primal Body Primal Mind for my kindle....thanks for the suggestion.

Getting dressed for work I noticed I could tighten my belt buckle to the second hole.....as the scale is hidden away (I don't want to think of this as a diet, but rather a lifestyle change, so I felt I was relying too heavily on the scale and not how I feel) this is an indication that the body is changing! I am so ready for this.

It was a really stressful day at work and had to try a relaxation breathing sequence to calm down.

My focus is coming back after the "carb-flu" haze I was in last week. I have been much more productive at work.

Breakfast: 2 pieces of bacon and 3 eggs
    Snack: banana
    Lunch: salad with chicken, bacon, almonds, spinach, romaine and iceberg lettuce
    Snack: almonds
    Dinner: 1/3 of the berry crumble breakfast meal I made from the BP cookbook.
    My Primal Journal

Day 13 Primal

My son and I baked paleo hamburger buns and banana bread today. I am trying to get the kids involved and he loves to cook so we surfed the net for recipes and he is cooking hamburgers for dinner tonight.

I convinced my husband I need to weigh myself once a week and I just weighed in at 201. As I haven't started exercising yet, it helps to know the weight IS going down.
    My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast