Thread: supplements needed? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

supplements needed?

So I had my vitamin D tested and I'm extremely low ( I live in Seattle). How much vitamin D should I take? I currently take 2000 IU daily but I have seen 10,000 IU pills at my health food store. I obviously don't want to take too much. My doctor had me on 10,000 IU, but my prescription ran out and am curious as to what you guys think.

Also, what else should I be taking. I'm thinking fish oil capsules as I don't get a lot of fish in my diet. I do eat quite a few nuts though so I may have enough omega 3's.

thanks for any hints!

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Can't comment on Vitamin D, but if you're eating nuts (other than macadamia nuts) you're throwing your Omega 6 through the roof, and the ratio out of whack. You should probably lay off the nuts (garnish only) and add that Fish Oil supplement, plus a Vitamin E complex.

I do take a good multivitamin as well.

HTH!

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    Can't comment on Vitamin D, but if you're eating nuts (other than macadamia nuts) you're throwing your Omega 6 through the roof, and the ratio out of whack. You should probably lay off the nuts (garnish only) and add that Fish Oil supplement, plus a Vitamin E complex.

I do take a good multivitamin as well.

HTH!
    So only macadamia nuts give you omega 3's? I'll have to read Mark's updated primal blueprint book that just came out to see what he has to say about this. I thought nuts were good, but now I'm getting the feeling you should eat very few unless they are macadamia nuts.

Unfortunately, even though other nuts do contain Omega 3, they contain SO MANY Omega 6's that it kinda makes the Omega 3's they offer moot. Not only that, but a handful of nuts can make it impossible to balance the 3:6 ratio even if you eat fish oil like candy. Not good. Fish Oil is a much better source of Omega 3's. This isn't even getting into the controversial subject of nuts having enough other nasties in them to bump them down to the "strict moderation" catagory.

What are your goals? If weight loss is one, you'll almost certainly need to ditch the nuts.

otzi Guest
    Very timely post! i just got my lab results back this morning, my Vit D is 69ng/ml. Back in August it was 24. I have been taking 10,000IU of D3 every day.

My wife had very low D, 7ng/ml. The doc put her on 50,000IU of D2 2Xweek. After 12 weeks her D was 50ng/ml.

Here's the kicker, though - it appears that you need Vit D3 for your health, not D2. There is no prescription grade D3, they can only prescribe D2! So, having a high D2 is meaningless.

On my lab sheet, it gives readings for:
    Vitamin D, 25-OH, Total (should be 30-100)
    Vit D, 25-OH, D3
    Vit D, 25-OH, D2

It's the D3 result you should be concerned with.

25-OH D3 indicates both endogenous and exogenous production and supplementation. 25-OH D2 is an indicator of exogenous sources only (supplementation). What this means, is that if you eat foods containing D2, it will show up in your bloodwork, but can never get there on it's own. D3 on the other hand will be present soley from exposure to the sun. When you supplement, you want D3--the same as the body makes.

Read this: Vitamin D optimization thoughts - Jack Kruse

Vit D.
    Minimise nut and eat oily fish, rather than going for fish oil (imo).
    Magnesium Citrate is cheap in bulk powder form. Recommended if you eat dairy.
    Consider Vit A if you don't eat liver.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Weston Price says it is impossible to get vitamin D poisoning from D3 in conjunction with A. So take cod liver oil instead of just plain old fish oil.

Green Pasture Products is one of the best. They also sell High Vitamin Butter Oil / Cod Liver Oil combo.

Cod liver oil may well have a purpose alongside fish oil, but not instead of it IMO. Not for Omega 3 punch, anyway. But I'm sure there are applications where it is appropriate for some individuals.

If for whatever reason you want higher doses of Omega 3, so want to take more supplement, then cod liver oil can be unsafe.

If you do go the cod liver oil route, put a lot of effort into finding a good, safe source. Toxic concerns with cod liver oil are real.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    walmart has Nature Made or Nature Valley Vit D3 gel caps in varying doses, i have the 2000 dose caps and take 5 a day

i saw 5000 dose caps at one point, i'll get those next time

you don't need a prescrip this way
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.