Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good carbs vs Bad carbs? page

DaveN is offline Junior Member

Good carbs vs Bad carbs?

Primal Fuel
    I'm pretty new to going Primal but so far I like it a lot. I'm a little confused about carbs from good sources, fruits especially, vs carbs from other sources. Aren't carbs carbs?

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Carbs are carbs, but its what come with them, and how much of them, and how fast they hit your blood stream

Sugar starch and fructose all work slightly differently. Grains come with horrendous things for you digestive system, whereas veggies come with lots of nutrition.

Dont over complicate it! It just gives you headaches....
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Have you checked out Mark's blog or clicked on the tab 'Start Here'? I have been reading this website for about three weeks now and I am still discovering new info.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not trying to complicate anything. As I read about eating abundent fruits and vegetables I was just wondering how I can eat abundent fruits when most of them carry a big carb load? A good sized apple has a carb load of 24gm's. That's a big chunk out the target 100! I totally get the point that natural fruit carbs are better for you than grain or processed food carbs, I guess they all count the same though when you're shooting to stay under 100.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    If you focus on the abundant veggies you get a lot more bang for your carb count. For instance as opposed to an apple at 24g, a cup of broccoli or 2 cups of lettuce are each about 3g each. HTH
    Last edited by Alaska Ang; 01-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Paleo/primal tag line about abundant fruit and vegetables is really misleading. Abundant vegetables, yes, but fruit is really limited to 1-2 fruit a day max. I think it comes from the fact that most paleo authors are meat-loving males that do not have the same relationship with fruit that many of us do. For me 3 to 5 fruits a day was normal. It is actually super-high.... Unfortunately, one is better off without fruit.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    The fruit thing is really an individual thing. For example, some people eat 2 pieces of fruit and can't seem to lose weight, while both my husband and I eat A TON of both fruit and veggies, and we're both very lean. Just as an example, some days I eat a HUGE bowl of fruit as a meal (about 100 carbs from fruit) with another 20-30 carbs later that day from veggies.

Some people on here are VERY limited in their fruit consumption, which is fine, but it doesn't need to be that way for everyone. I'd suggest just focusing on eating real, whole food - fruits, veggies, meat, fish, and don't worry about counting carbs, at least not until you've gotten used to eating this way, and want to change things up a little. My opinion is that fruit is really beneficial, and if you can eat 4-5 servings of it a day and reach your goal, why start off by restricting too much? You can always cut back later if you feel the need.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    From where I stand - if you're trying to actively lose weight limit the fruit and starchy veggies. Once you're at a good place or if you're OK with losing slowly - enjoy them. I'm guessing like most other people, it wasn't that extra banana or sweet potato a day that got me to where I was in the first place. More like ben and jerrys, food prepared with cream of mushroom soup, oreos, pasta and doughnuts...... evil.

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the ladies about fruit. I used to eat so much fruit, and I still eat one or 2 pieces a day, keeping within the relevant carb ration (below 100 right now, usually c.70 - 80 but up to 150 occasionally). Mark has a list of fruit by carb/sugar content in his book (maybe online?) which might help you make sensible choices. One quick thing about apples though, I have found that cooking apples in the UK (bramleys) have less sugar in them, so I make up batches of apple sauce to keep in the fridge. I have approx 1/2 an apple per sitting which is only 6.7g carbs, with ground almonds or raw cream and cinnamon etc. Also if you eat your primal carbs with some form of protein it helps prevent the sharp blood sugar spike which is so fatigueing, e.g. banana in a protein shake, steak with your sweet pots, nuts with your applesauce.

Thanks to all for the great advice! I was pretty sure I had the idea right, just wanted to make sure. I do not have any problem with eating Primal. I went off grains and legumes cold turkey without a hitch. I've got the 4 level exercise program going and feeling very good. I'm being careful with what I eat just because I'm trying to adhere to the rules so that I get the most benefit from the program. I've found some great nutritional sites on-line and I'm tracking my daily intake. Once I've got a few months experience at this I think it'll all just flow naturally. Again, thanks for the great advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast