Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alkaline body and foods for uptimum health ??? page

debrakadabra is offline Junior Member

Question Alkaline body and foods for uptimum health ???

Primal Fuel
    Hi: I keep reading on the web that an acidic body causes illness and disease. That one should eat as much as possible alkaline foods for best health....so that is mostly raw veggies! Is this true? Meats, eggs, and seafood are extremely acidic in the system. Any comments? I am doing the 21 day PB transformation, and have never felt SO GOOD. No more sugar cravings that used to drive me COMPLETELY crazzy. I am concerned about being too acidic on this program, although I feel GREAT! Any thoughts and information would be greatly appreciated.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    meat is not extremely acidic, what is very acidic is orange juice and lemon juice (ph of about 2-3). I used to eat a whole bag of oranges as a kid and my lips would be burning from all the acid. Beef has a ph value of about 5-6 making it very close to neutral. So eat your meat with a bunch of alkaline vegetables and you even out to be pretty neutral.

dboxing is offline Senior Member

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dboxing View Post
    +1.

Unfortunately back in the day when I was on this journey as a rookie, I bought the book The Body Ecology Diet where she went on and on about this topic as well as other misinformed topics, sorry, not buying into the theory...............wish I could get my money back too!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

tarek is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand, a food's pH has little to no bearing on whether it causes "acidity" or "alkalinity" in the body.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Wheat Belly addresses this.
    Wheat is very acidic as are a lot of grains.
    The old addage meat and two veg is a great balance...all the nutrient balance of the meat, and the alkaline balance of the veg...win win.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Cordain's Paleo Diet addresses this, too. According to him, you can easily achieve balance by eating some COOKED veggies (emphasis on cooked is mine, because from all my research and personal experience, I really don't think the human digestive system is meant to process much raw veggies anymore) with meat.

That being said, this past week I've been doing an elimination diet, eating only meat, no veggies or fruit to figure out what's been bothering my digestive system so much. I'm shocked at how great I feel with only meat, and I'm starting to think that I could eat this way indefinitely, even though I still think fruits and veggies are important.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    meat is not extremely acidic, what is very acidic is orange juice and lemon juice (ph of about 2-3). I used to eat a whole bag of oranges as a kid and my lips would be burning from all the acid. Beef has a ph value of about 5-6 making it very close to neutral. So eat your meat with a bunch of alkaline vegetables and you even out to be pretty neutral.
    Citrus fruits are actually strongly alkaline when digested, not acid. How this works I don't know but it seems to be an accepted fact.

The Acid/Alkaline Foods List

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Citrus fruits are actually strongly alkaline when digested, not acid. How this works I don't know but it seems to be an accepted fact.

The Acid/Alkaline Foods List
    The explanation I've found is that acid/alkaline doesn't refer to the ph of the actual food itself (obviously citrus itself is very acidic), but it refers to the end product it's turned into after going through the digestive process. Supposedly digesting meat (which itself is alkaline, I believe) creates an 'acidic' environment, and citrus, which is itself acidic, produces an alkaline environment after all is said and done. I haven't read enough of the science to understand why this is so, and ultimately I think that if you're eating whole, healthy food, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    How I understand it is this, your body operates within a very small PH range, which if did change dramatically (meaning +-1) on the PH scale, you would have massive issues including death . So, diet and what we eat has very very little to do with your overall body PH. Everything is acidic when it hits your stomach and everything is alkaline when it hits the intestines. So there is no creating an "alkaline environment".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast