Thread: Now the Healing Begins...Primal Lifestyle Journal page

Riza43 is offline Junior Member

Now the Healing Begins...Primal Lifestyle Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have never kept up any journal that I started, but this one is probably the most important one that I have began.

A little background: I am 55, well 56 in February, but who is counting? I have struggled with my weight and various health issues my whole life. I have a long term fight ahead of me now and Primal Blueprint is my best weapon. I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma (bone marrow cancer) a year ago and took Revlimid from February to August 2011. I achieved what is called a "good partial response", but during an emergency appendectomy in August they found a tiny carcinoid tumor on my appendix. My oncologist thinks this was probably caused by Revlimid as some chemo drugs can cause secondary cancers. I have since had 2 CT scans and 2 rounds of blood tests and no new tumors! Also my M-spike (this is what they watch for MM) is almost stable. I only have tests every three months. So I can make more "normal" plans now.

I started eating Primal in August of 2010 before I was diagnosed. I didn't feel that great and knew I needed to make some changes. I had eaten low carb before-Atkins-but used too many of their synthetic foods and had to quit. My weight got up to 185 in the Spring of 2009. I went wheat-free after that and lost about 20 lbs by August 2010. A conventional GF diet wasn't the answer-too many carbs. Primal Blueprint is the answer. I weigh 144 lbs now and was able to keep my weight fairly stable and improve my health even with having to take chemo drugs.

I wasn't prepared to be back to "normal" life this quickly and need to make some resolutions so I don't fall off the wagon. So I am starting this diary in conjuction with the "Success Stories in the Making Challenge". My name is Ranetta and I am going to lose 10-15 lbs between now and Summer and get fit enough to take a camping/hiking vacation. That is something I didn't think I would get to think about this year.

The food part of BP is not that difficult for me, after all I have been Primal for 16 months. I have problems with the rest of it...especially getting enough sleep and exercise and getting enough fun and yes, stress is a problem. That is why I love PB. It is a way of life. A great way of life.

Sunday, Jan. 8 - Hiked with my 2 dogs. 1-1/2 hours. It was sunny, which is unusual for this time of year. I live in the foothills south and east of Portland, OR. I will have to use a pedometer next time, because I am not sure how far-2 plus miles-I think. Doesn't sound like much, but I hiked at my neighbor's Christmas tree farm and surrounding forest...up and down hills, through mud, blackberry patches and over downed trees. I was puffing sometimes. The dogs had a blast.
    Last edited by Riza43; 01-09-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Riza43 is offline Junior Member
    Tuesday, Feb. 21...time to get the food part back on track. I caught a cold in the second week of January and was pretty lazy for 3 weeks or so. I still weigh 144 lbs. and my measurements are the same, that usually doesn't happen when I catch a cold-I usually gain 5 lbs.

I have been hiking and walking the dogs the last couple of weekends, but still haven't been able to get much else done. I did get 2 - 20 minute walks in this week at lunch time this week so far.

Getting more sleep is better. I have been averaging 6.5 to 7 hours most nights in February. It is hard leaving the "electronics" alone at bedtime. I have been known to read on my iPad until almost midnight...not a good idea since I have to get up at 5:30A during the week. I need about 7 to 7.5 hours sleep. That is my goal for March.

I haven't gotten much done on my stress goals, but I think I need to make a list of things to get accomplished. I don't get much done if I don't have it written down.

I am attending Reiki classes for 3 weekends. I am hoping that it will help me handle stress better and also some of the bone pain I still have.

Overall, I am in a much better place than last year.
    Last edited by Riza43; 02-21-2012 at 03:52 PM.