Thread: Can reduced grains/gluten be effective if elimination isn't possible? page

cjams is offline Junior Member

Can reduced grains/gluten be effective if elimination isn't possible?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I have been gluten free for about 8 months (due to an intolerance) and Primal for about 4 months. I have been telling my dad about the Primal lifestyle because I think it would help him a lot (he's 53, 5'10'', 175 lbs and in pretty good shape, but he has been slowly gaining weight over the years, especially in his belly, and suffers from a lot of health issues such as migraines, sinus blockage, frequent colds, etc.) He is really interested and bought Mark's book, but the problem is that my mother cooks dinner for him every night and she is not willing to go gluten or grain free. (And no, there is no chance of him taking over the cooking.) If he eliminates gluten and grains throughout the day but occasionally eats some at dinner (usually as part of a side dish, not a huge bowl of pasta or pizza), is that still beneficial? I don't want him to give up on the whole thing, but we're both wondering if just decreasing the gluten and grains will help him or if it's not worth it since the gluten will likely still be in his system.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Reducing wheat is of course better than making it the centerpiece of one's diet. Rice has no gluten. Go easy on the rice, potatoes, corn, bread, pasta, etc. That's the secret to effortless weight loss, if that's what he wants.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    If his migraines and sinus issues are related to gluten, then I don't think reduction will help all that much. I think, in general, less of a bad thing is a good idea, but if he has any autoimmune issues going on he'll likely still have the symptoms even with a small dose. He'll probably have an easier time controlling his weight, though.

Can he get your mom to buy in on a 30-day trial? It's not like she'd have to give up gluten and such herself. She'd just need to refrain from adding it to the meal in a way he couldn't eat around. Don't bread stuff or add flour to sauces. She could even sub with stuff like tapioca, potato, or even white rice flour. I'd avoid corn since lots of gluten-sensitive folks also have issues with it. Use wheat-free tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. It's not a huge compromise. If she wants some bread or pasta on the side, fine. A month should be enough for him to be able figure out if this helps him. Seriously, if my husband had migraines I cannot see how I could possibly object to slightly altering my cooking for a month to see if it would help.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I believe he can lose some weight with that approach, but he won't get any healthier (migraines, sinus blockage, etc.) if he continues with the gluten AND the gluten is the culprit.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I think it should be fine. As others have said, try getting your mom to make more rice-based dishes, and possibly making it easy for him to eat around the grains (i.e. serve bread/pasta/rice separately). If he follows an otherwise healthful diet, he should see some improvement.

White rice and potatoes are acceptable, too. They may or may not hinder his weight loss, but they're much better options than whole wheat, corn, etc.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    A little is still too much for me.

I agree with the poster that says your mom should be willing to support your dad in a 30 day clean Primal eating plan if it will help his issues.

On the other hand, it may be hard for her to get past her own ideas that grain is necessary and Primal is wrong. We don't have kids, but if we did, and our kids suggested that my husband should eat a certain way that I wasn't supportive of because I have Primal ingrained in my belief system, I wouldn't support change either. You see it from that perspective?

So in this situation, best might be for you to target your mom's belief system by giving her a copy of PB and Wheat Belly to read. Might be a more effective starting point.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    On the other hand, it may be hard for her to get past her own ideas that grain is necessary and Primal is wrong. We don't have kids, but if we did, and our kids suggested that my husband should eat a certain way that I wasn't supportive of because I have Primal ingrained in my belief system, I wouldn't support change either. You see it from that perspective?
    I can definitely see why she might be reticent, especially if she's coming from a CW perspective that tells her that meat and fat will give you a heart attack. But it's not going to do that in 30 days. Heck, if my husband had migraines and wanted to try raw vegan for a month, I would totally support him in that. I think it's crazy talk, but that doesn't matter.

My husband has been supportive of me through various dietary protocols over the years and I'm grateful for it. Of course, I think he's pretty stoked that I finally realize that meat and fat are awesome. More bacon. No more sprouted wheat berries.