Thread: Wild Goose Slow Cooker Ideas page page

jian is offline Junior Member

Wild Goose Slow Cooker Ideas page

Shop Now
    Hello Everyone,
    I have been reading MDA for about a year now and am new to the forum. I go to college and live in a house so I am in charge of all of my food. I have a relatively low budget for food but I make do.
    cheap gucci shoes I also hunt so a lot of the food I eat is wild game like wild goose, deer and fish, this weekend I shot a lot of wild Canadian geese. Now I have 8 geese breasts sitting in the freezer. I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for cooking geese, preferable some type of goose stew. I have a slow cooker but have never used. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you! I look forward to getting some good recipes.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have never made a goose, but I love this website that specializes in cooking game and they have a wild duck and goose page....maybe something useful for you....

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/

thyme is offline Member
    I had a bounty of fifteen wild geese this fall, thanks to some hunters in a nearby field. We tested a number of approaches, and the best--by far!!!--was to confit them, as the resulting meat was always brilliantly tender and tasty.

(If the goose was young, the breast cooked up like a beautiful steak...but most of the geese were not young, and so most approaches left the meat dry and tough.)

I used Judy Rogers' basic approach, adapted from her Zuni Cookbook. This looks long, but only because I'm including much of her advice--confit is actually a very simple process of cooking salted meat in a low-temperature simmering fat until it's done.

We didn't bother plucking our geese--just cut the meat out from the skin--and the confit worked very well with the skinless breasts, legs, and thighs. If anything was too shot up to confit, we ground it into the Toulouse-style sausages from Shaw's site (previous post). I've now made two batches of cassoulet with the Shaw's sausage & Rodger's confit and fed 40 very, very, very happy people. We've also just heated other pieces of confit meat and eaten them plain or with simple sauces and found it absolutely delectable.

Notes: Confit traditionally preserves duck or goose parts through the winter by keeping them submerged in their own fat. There is a tiny but deadly risk of botulism if you a) do not use curing salt and b) keep your confit above fridge temperature and then c) do not _thoroughly_ heat it before eating. To avoid accidentally killing yourself or others, I'd suggest either researching botulism yourself so that you understand what you're doing or--as you're a student and so overwhelmed anyway--not risking it and just freezing your cooked meat until you're ready to eat it.

Okay. Begin:
    Rinse the meat, pat it dry, and weigh it.

Measure 1/3 ounce (2 tsp) of salt per pound of meat. Salt the meat all over, patting more into the thicker sections than in the thin. Roll the meat around to get the excess salt that's dropped off. Lay the meat out on a large pan or bowl--do not stack more than 3 deep. Refrigerate for 18-24 hours.

Rinse each piece of meat under cold running water--do NOT soak. Spread the rinsed meat out and pat it dry, then place in a large, sterilized, covered container and leave for an hour at room temperature to allow the salt to redistribute within the meat. (can leave them refrigerated overnight if you prefer.)

Melt fat of choice. For us, lard was the cheapest--make sure it's not hydrogenated though. Heat fat until it is warm and add the meat. Do not stack the meat more than two or three layers deep, as the meat can cook unevenly. I stacked two layers.

Quickly bring to a simmer and cook until it's done, which will depend on the meat and the temperature. The simmering fat should NOT boil, but should be releasing occasional bubbles to the top. Rodgers says she tries to hold the fat at 200 to 205 F; I just stuck the pot in a low oven and made sure I got occasional bubbles. You should be able to do the same in the slow cooker, although it might not be big enough for your purposes. The meat will toughen up at first and then soften up. It'll take at least a couple of hours--mine took 6-7 hours. To see if it's done, prod the meat--if it yields a bit, cut off a sliver, let it cool, and then taste it. Rodgers says that "very hot meat will always feel tough." The meat should be "tender but still resilient." If you cook it to absolute tenderness, it will be dry. Once it is tender, turn off the heat and let the meat settle for 10 minutes or so.

Remove the meat. Now, if you understand what you are doing with botulism risks, then put the meat in sterile containers, skim the fat, and ladle the fat over the meat, leaving behind the really good salty broth at the bottom of the pan. Make sure meat is completely submerged, then close the container and refrigerate it until you are ready to eat it. Our remaining containers are three months old now. They've been kept in the fridge at all times and we make certain the meat is heated to a temperature that kills botulism spores before we eat it.

OTHERWISE!! Take your meat out and freeze it until you're ready to eat it. Skim the fat and ladle it into a jar to reuse later, later for subsequent confit or for cooking.

In either case, freeze the salty broth at the bottom of the pan into an ice cube tray and pop an ice cube into anything that would be better with brilliant stock--veg, gravies, sauces, your mouth, etc.

I'm jealous!!!